Self Portrait

Mono better due to white balance being off. The crop/composition does not work for me but shot is well lit and sharp. The 2nd button is pulling the shirt in creating 2 creases, maybe be better unbuttoning it...............

Mono definitely for me, there seems to be a definite colour cast in the colour version. I'm not always overly keen on face on portraits they can seem a bit flat. Lighting looks good, to my untrained eye, although there seems to be a hotspot on your left temple, less pronounced in the mono version

Personally I don't mind the crop but I can see it could be a bit 'marmite' for some

Thank you both for the replies. The most obvious mistake then is the split toning and messing with the colours. In an attempt to stylise the image it seems I've made it just look wrong. I guess I need to understand what I'm trying to accomplish beforehand rather than just messing with sliders.

The shirt creasing is unfortunate, I need to work on noticing details also!

Thanks again, I'll address your critique in my next attempts!

I like the composition and engagement -the two most important parts, but I'm not keen on the strength of the rim lighting. It 's common to overdo that and drag too much attention to it. The only other thing I'm not keen on is the level of sharpening, which is too strong.

Not overly keen on split toning so ...

The light looks a little too hot on your left hand side (right as we look). Not too sure about the composition, I think the expression and hence the connection works fine, it feels lopsided (right side out of frame). Mono is much better btw :)

The split toning makes the colours look odd but if it is done for a purpose it can work. It looks like the colour mix a magazine might use for portrait of a hi-tech entrepreneur, for example. Crop is odd too but again, with text down the RHS it could work. The rim light does look a bit hot though.

I agree with the colour cast issue. Can you post a pre PP so I can see what the original looked like

Thanks all!

ianmarsh - I quite like advertising photography. I'm always flicking through my fiancee's fashion magazines for "inspiration". I'm not sure how the wider photographic community views these. I find them quite creative but I guess some could see them as soulless, corporate images rather than creative art. Anyway, I'm a far way off from that. I'm just hoping to progress from taking photos of myself in my spare bedroom.

Liyama - here is the image without any pre PP. Warts n' all:

Darrell Without PP by Darrell Drew, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks. Despite my years in photography I cant get the hang of post processing.

The original has much better balance. The processed version creates too much contrast, which is causing the rim to be too hot. If you plan to process like that it's a good idea to light a little differently.

Hi, The original processed colour version is by far the best. It doesn't have a colour cast, colours have presumably been adjusted in post to create an effect. For me that effect is good and I like it. The rear side light is too strong imho and the crop is too tight (on both sides, think it would have worked better as a landscape image?) as has already been mentioned but the processing (original) is good.

The final ooc is way too bland and although may be 'technically' a more natural colour palette it doesn't work for me. Keep experimenting with colour, it's amazing how the 'mood' changes as you shift the balances gently in curves or whatever.

Rich

Thanks for the new comments. It's interesting that a couple of you liked the original colour version, personally I like changing the colours. I like the mood and the stylistic effect it can have, although it does seem to generate some marmite reactions.

What seems to be consistent is the kicker is too hot, especially against the temple, the crop is too tight and weird and that it's been over sharpened. I'm going to have another go this weekend, though I'll have a go landscape this time (with the room I have to work with, a half step takes me out of the frame) and try and fix the aforementioned issues.

Once again, thanks all for the comments. If you can help me get a half decent self portrait going, perhaps other people will let me take their photo!

Thanks for the new comments. It's interesting that a couple of you liked the original colour version, personally I like changing the colours. I like the mood and the stylistic effect it can have, although it does seem to generate some marmite reactions.

What seems to be consistent is the kicker is too hot, especially against the temple, the crop is too tight and weird and that it's been over sharpened. I'm going to have another go this weekend, though I'll have a go landscape this time (with the room I have to work with, a half step takes me out of the frame) and try and fix the aforementioned issues.

Once again, thanks all for the comments. If you can help me get a half decent self portrait going, perhaps other people will let me take their photo!

For what it's worth, it's easier to get it right on other people than it is on self portraits. At least that is what I find. You can adjust the lighting, see quicker results, see what works and doesn't. I used to practice on an oversized teddy (still do set up shots with it!) so that when I shot real people, I was ready and could spend more time with interacting and getting poses/expressions than worrying about the technicalities.

Developing your own PP style is a process and mine has certainly evolved over the years. Less is more, more often than not. Or at least the illusion of less. I'm guilty of not sticking to that sometimes though!

Keep posting your pics!

Shaheed

Original colour one looks better for me than the other two processed ones.

Back