Chaz Photos

Jack Elam
Name
Chaz
Edit My Images
Yes
Two self portraits.
#1 is at A la Ronde, unique sixteen-sided house
Self portrait taken in a sphere hanging at the centre of the round (16sided) room. This was hanging there to drive any sprites back out so as not to have any coming to the house.
#2 is Self Portrait in an empty shop window with a homeless person in doorway. The contrast of me and my camera looking into an empty shop with heaters and someone who has to live outside.
6334729505_f3674221b5_o.jpg

6335487782_8242d90a52_o.jpg

Different...
First one is a clever shot.

#1 s clever although it would have been better without other people there (realise that might not have been possible)

I don't get #2 though, doesn't seem to be anything of photographic merit in the shot (IMHO of course), what made you take it?

The first one is a pretty nice idea and is quirky. I'm not sure if there's a way to improve this shot; I would experiment with different angles and compositions but I have no way to tell if you've done this or not.

Second shot does nothing for me. Though I guess one could assign it the meaning of the contrast between homelessness and wealth, but then that is a very widely used thematic device, and to be honest, this image doesn't really portray it immediately at all. All I see in it is a failed shot through glass (i.e. one that would have needed a CPL) with a reflection of the photographer, but no particularly interesting subject behind the glass to warrant the photo in the first place. I would probably have binned this image and I certainly wouldn't have uploaded it.

I don't like either of them.

For number 1 the fact there are so many other people in the shot makes it not a self portrait. It looks good of the room but not as a portrait, I would have thought that for it to be interesting you would need to be really close to the ball and have your body and face distorted for interest. Which might not have been possible unless you could fly. The distortion is making your right leg look bizarre.

Number 2. I can't believe you didn't wait till nobody was walking past, the fact there is some random looking over your shoulder makes the whole shot pointless

Last edited:
#1 s clever although it would have been better without other people there (realise that might not have been possible)

I don't get #2 though, doesn't seem to be anything of photographic merit in the shot (IMHO of course), what made you take it?

Self Portrait in an empty shop window with a homeless person in doorway. The contrast of me and my camera looking into an empty shop with heaters and someone who has to live outside.

I don't like either of them.

For number 1 the fact there are so many other people in the shot makes it not a self portrait. It looks good of the room but not as a portrait, I would have thought that for it to be interesting you would need to be really close to the ball and have your body and face distorted for interest. Which might not have been possible unless you could fly. The distortion is making your right leg look bizarre.

Number 2. I can't believe you didn't wait till nobody was walking past, the fact there is some random looking over your shoulder makes the whole shot pointless
Can you see behind you? plus I have one with out him but I think it adds to the image

Unfortunately, the eye is drawn straight to the guy behind you, the homeless guy is barely noticeable as a result. Don't think it works at all, sorry.

I actually quite like #2 as I'm a big fan of reflections. I like the way the reflection of the passer by takes away the emphasis from the "down and out" person as I would never take a shot where a "down and out" was the main focus as that could end up as a cliché.

Can you see behind you? plus I have one with out him but I think it adds to the image

It doesn't add to the image.

I can see behind me when there is a reflection in the window in front and also I can feel when someone is behind me that close unless they are a ninja

also you can just look around you before you put the camera to your face and it would be very easy to see if there was anyone likely to walk into your scene before you press the shutter, thats what most people do anyway

To offer you a slightly more constructive critique, the picture is too busy as it stands - you have to hunt around the image to understand what you have captured. Shot#2 would be improved by simply cropping out the passer-by on the left and cropping out the floor heater on the right. Perhaps crop some of the roller shutter from the top if you want to maintain the aspect ratio of the original shot? :)

To offer you a slightly more constructive critique, the picture is too busy as it stands - you have to hunt around the image to understand what you have captured. Shot#2 would be improved by simply cropping out the passer-by on the left and cropping out the floor heater on the right. Perhaps crop some of the roller shutter from the top if you want to maintain the aspect ratio of the original shot? :)

chaz has an example without the passer by in, so no need to crop that out if he has another, perhaps chaz you could show us this one and then we can all compare the with and without the passer by

Back