Sell all your slr's

these are some of his predictions
for 2018

End of the DLSR as we know it :ROFLMAO:

-Volcanoes, ferocious weather, earthquakes, storms, hurricanes, floods, worst monsoons ever

-Scientology will face serious hurdles and scandals in Ireland

-Antarctica in the news again in 2018

-Wildfires in Australia

-Kim Jong-Un is at risk from an inside job

-China and India squabble

-Satellite/space equipment hacking story

-Syria will split

-US and Japan strengthen their alliance

-Big company fraud/slush fund controversy using e-currencies

-Drone attack

-Italian economic woes

-Former UK Prime Minister Tony Blair will return to the spotlight

-Iceland – A volcanic eruption, affecting Norway

-Seismic activity for Australia and New Zealand

-Big Ben in the news

-Nasty new super bug for 2018

-OJ Simpson’s life will come to a violent end in the near future

-Hilary is at risk of passing over within a couple of years

-A “blood moon” or a “blue moon” will be in the news

-Crop damage and prices of vegetable and fruit rise

-Trump’s approval rating will continue to rise

-Long term, Trump’s health is not stable. US citizens may be stuck with Mike Pence as President

-Parts of Europe will be in drought, while other parts suffer floods

-Irish YouTuber goes global

http://oldmooresalmanac.com/#horoscope

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    7.4 KB · Views: 11
I hope that the Nikon and Canon Mirrorless cameras are a little bit bigger than the Sony A7 series TBH!

And me too... although I use the battery grip too :D

Well, I shouldn't have used "you" and "me" but I was being lazy :D What I should have said is something like you can't please everyone and it's likely that "improving" the ergonomics will lead to bulkier kit and perhaps the removal of some controls which could for some remove at least some of the appeal.

I suppose I'm pretty averagely sized but maybe perhaps a little more dextrous than some as I spent most of my working life fixing something so maybe I'm used to slightly fiddly things and maybe that partly explains why I have no serious ergonomic issues with any of my cameras. Personally I'd rather accept the possibility of some handling issues as a price worth paying for more compact feature and control rich kit.

Last edited:
Just didn’t look real. Especially after using the X-T2 EVF (which was vastly superior IMO).

Then it was also slow as well.

X-T2 EVF is a newer version comparable to A7RII EVF. It is better than A7/A7II EVF but I wouldn't say "vastly superior".

Like I said I never had issues even panning with A7 EVF, so wonder what you were doing to make you feel it was slow. Perhaps you (or your eyes) are more sensitive than me :D

X-T2 EVF is a newer version comparable to A7RII EVF. It is better than A7/A7II EVF but I wouldn't say "vastly superior".

Like I said I never had issues even panning with A7 EVF, so wonder what you were doing to make you feel it was slow. Perhaps you (or your eyes) are more sensitive than me :D
I could be do with the refresh rate of some EVF's.
I used to feel physically sick when playing games like Duke Nuke'Em 3D due to the frame rate........ :eek: :D lol

I could be do with the refresh rate of some EVF's.
I used to feel physically sick when playing games like Duke Nuke'Em 3D due to the frame rate........ :eek: :D lol

found the sonys early eve's pretty awful. much improved with the a7r2 - but the previous ones not great at all.

I still prefer OVF - but going to have to go EVF when there is no choice! I just hpe that Nikon put a damn decent one in!

these are some of his predictions
for 2018

End of the DLSR as we know it :ROFLMAO:

I rely more on Mother Shipton, she said....

"Where the sun rises the Sony mirrorless will come and grow
and Canons into void will be thrown filling their owners with woe"

This was initially thought to predict a far eastern puritan anti war movement (who didn't allow mirrors believing them to be vain) spreading throughout the world and a move toward demilitarisation and the destruction of WMD's (throwing cannons into the void and the collapse of the arms industry) but rereading this today it seems to indeed predict the rise of mirrorless cameras and the obsolescence of the old DSLR format.

I hope that the Nikon and Canon Mirrorless cameras are a little bit bigger than the Sony A7 series TBH!
The EM1 is perfect IMO, that little bit wider than the A7's meaning more room for your fingers, and the control dials are perfectly placed too. I know there's no one camera fits all but I'm really surprised no-one's tried to copy it.

I still prefer OVF - but going to have to go EVF when there is no choice! I just hpe that Nikon put a damn decent one in!
I think Nikon will be fully aware of the task ahead (as will Canon) and they really need to pull something good out of the bag first time.

Well, I shouldn't have used "you" and "me" but I was being lazy :D What I should have said is something like you can't please everyone and it's likely that "improving" the ergonomics will lead to bulkier kit and perhaps the removal of some controls which could for some remove at least some of the appeal.

I suppose I'm pretty averagely sized but maybe perhaps a little more dextrous than some as I spent most of my working life fixing something so maybe I'm used to slightly fiddly things and maybe that partly explains why I have no serious ergonomic issues with any of my cameras. Personally I'd rather accept the possibility of some handling issues as a price worth paying for more compact feature and control rich kit.
always have to lower the tone ;):LOL::ROFLMAO:

People complaining about changing batteries after 500 shots when at best you'd get 38 shots from a film before you had to change :)

I've really not thought about whether my view finder is EVF or OVF for a while now - I just pick up the camera (currently XH1) and it works just fine for my purposes. Obviously I know it's EVF, but I don't 'notice' it - it's good enough not to get in the way of what I need to do.

I can do things on my mirrorless that I could not do on my DSLR - manual focus for one. Managed okay back in film days but never worked well enough on the DSLRs I owned - it's a breeze on Mirrorless - vastly superior even to film days, so that is one area where it works better. WYSIWYG is another - okay, not for everyone, but makes it very easy to take the shot I want rather than chimp and retake - perhaps I'm just not good enough!

Battery life is clearly less - machine gun or not, I could go a week without charging the battery on the 1DMk3, but I still carried a spare (and bloody heavy too), I can go a couple of days on the Fuji, but I have the habit of turning it off between shots and on when raising to my eye - just always done that - DSLR or Mirrorless.

DSLRs will be with us for a while whether they are surpassed by Mirrorless or the next tech, because people like using them. Not for me, I can't see myself ever going back, but I can see how others prefer what they've grown up with.

I rely more on Mother Shipton, she said....

"Where the sun rises the Sony mirrorless will come and grow
and Canons into void will be thrown filling their owners with woe"
Now I'm petrified.

Personally I'm gonna stick to "The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch".

Now I'm petrified.

Personally I'm gonna stick to "The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch".

Oh God I hope not... She predicted the death of DSLR's and their rise again as an army of the undead and the resulting Armageddon, the last battle of humanity against the DSLR zombie apocalypse.

What an absolutely stupid comment to make. :D

It's very easy to rack up 4k images at a wedding when you shoot a lot of brenizer style portraits.
As Miles Davis replied to John Coltrane when he said he didn't know how to stop (his solos)

"Try taking the f*****g horn out of your mouth"

People complaining about changing batteries after 500 shots when at best you'd get 38 shots from a film before you had to change :)

Not if you used a half frame camera or a bulk film back. I wish people would do their research before making such sweeping generalisations. :D ;)

Teasing aside, most people back in the film days would try to make every shot count (particularly if they'd only got 8 shots on a roll of 120 to play with!), so tended to think about exposure, composition, light, where a good shot might happen, when to freeze the action, etc. instead of pressing a button and rattling and chimping away until they eventually got something good more by the law of averages than through careful planning and the application of leaned ability.

A bit harsh? If you've got it then you may as well use it, be it learnt ability and/or intelligent servo AF, 5 programmed AE modes, variable ISO and 10 fps. But there again, is there a line between a photographer and a camera operator, and at which point is it crossed?

Last edited:
I think my opposition to mirrorless is in the design of the current bodies. EVF aside - that's a separate issue, if Canon / Nikon released mirrorless cameras in the pro-body style I don't think any here would object. I love the ergonomics of my 1D, especially holding longer, heavier lenses and the integrated vertical release button.

I'd argue that all of us can agree that fewer moving parts leads to improved reliability and reduced weight - something mirrorless will offer and would be welcomed in these parts, but the current mirrorless bodies have been marketed as reducing the size of the body.

Imagine how excited we'd all be with a new Canon mirrorless body, in the housing on a 1D, with 30fps and compatible with all our EOS lenses? - It'd be magic.

The EM1 is perfect IMO, that little bit wider than the A7's meaning more room for your fingers, and the control dials are perfectly placed too. I know there's no one camera fits all but I'm really surprised no-one's tried to copy it.

I think Nikon will be fully aware of the task ahead (as will Canon) and they really need to pull something good out of the bag first time.

Not tried the EM1 but my mate was trying our the Sony 70-200 I have on his camera and without a battery grip it just feels uncomfortable after you shoot for a while, especially when you compare to the D750 & 70-200 (IMO). Once you add the grip the Sony feels better, but still not as good as the Nikon. It then actually becomes a heavier combo than the Nikon.

Well apart from Panasonic with their G9 and Fuji with the X-H1 ... okay so not entirely copy but maybe the same thinking even if the execution isn't quite the same.

Edit: see https://photorumors.com/2018/02/23/fact-high-end-mirrorless-cameras-keep-getting-bigger/ for similar thinking.

Last edited:
Not if you used a half frame camera or a bulk film back. I wish people would do their research before making such sweeping generalisations. :D ;)

Teasing aside, most people back in the film days would try to make every shot count (particularly if they'd only got 8 shots on a roll of 120 to play with!), so tended to think about exposure, composition, light, where a good shot might happen, when to freeze the action, etc. instead of pressing a button and rattling and chimping away until they eventually got something good more by the law of averages than through careful planning and the application of leaned ability.

A bit harsh? If you've got it then you may as well use it, be it learnt ability and/or intelligent servo Auto Focus, 5 programmed auto exposure modes, variable ISO and 10 fps. But there again, is there a line between a photographer and a camera operator, and at which point is it crossed?
To be fair there are times when you do need to machine gun away - such as airshows.

To be fair there are times when you do need to machine gun away - such as airshows.
Or the important moments like confetti, bouquet throws or first kiss.
The more keepers you have from these important once in a life time moments the better... just means you have great choice for the money shot.
20 fps all the way :D lol

All this talk has me thinking ... I wonder if Nikon (and Canon) can create something of a hybrid lens mount. Use their existing F (EF) mount physically to make it compatible with their existing lenses; but once the mirror is removed you could then allow lenses to protrude inside the body allowing for more compact wide angle lenses (if my thinking is correct) which is where the difference is. Take a look at the 38mm Canon made for the Pellix.

The situation is more complex for Nikon because of the varying designs of F mount lenses, but they could say restrict it to AF-S / G lenses (no in body motor) though I suspect limiting backwards compatibility to only E type lenses would be even less restrictive going forward (no need for mechanical linkage at all) though thats a very limited number of Nikon's (even current) lenses.

Or the important moments like confetti, bouquet throws or first kiss.
The more keepers you have from these important once in a life time moments the better... just means you have great choice for the money shot.
Because our (or the client's) expectations have changed...

Oh God I hope not... She predicted the death of DSLR's and their rise again as an army of the undead and the resulting Armageddon, the last battle of humanity against the DSLR zombie apocalypse.
No she predicted the rise of the anti-Christ mirrorless ... only the demon's helpers screwed up and sent the plans to Sony rather than Nikon. :)

A bit harsh? If you've got it then you may as well use it, be it learnt ability and/or intelligent servo AF, 5 programmed AE modes, variable ISO and 10 fps. But there again, is there a line between a photographer and a camera operator, and at which point is it crossed?

Spot on, photography should be about planning, predicting, proper composition and consideration of lighting etc, not just about spray and pray etc. One of my gripes with new bodies is that they are going to eventually take some of the hard work out of being a photographer.

I would like to try and old film camera, I strongly believe that will help improve me as a photographer.

I personally think both Nikon and Canon will make new lens mounts and bring out new lenses.... why you ask.... simple answer.... profit / money!
They will build gimped lens adapters which allow existing users to use their current lenses but won't be as good as native.

This would be the way forward for future revenue etc.

A bit harsh? If you've got it then you may as well use it, be it learnt ability and/or intelligent servo Auto Focus, 5 programmed auto exposure modes, variable ISO and 10 fps. But there again, is there a line between a photographer and a camera operator, and at which point is it crossed?

Do people just machine gun digital cameras, hope for the best and end up keeping a few out of the hundreds they've machine gunned?

I've never ever used a digital camera like that. I can imagine someone machine gunning to get the perfect shot such as the bride throwing the bouquet or Shergar jumping down from the UFO etc but these are fast action shots that could maybe only be captured with luck using a one shot is all you get film set up. I see the thought that digital leads to a shotgun mentality and many useless discarded pictures but who actually does that?

Personally I only raise the camera to my eye if I think there's something there that I want to take a picture of. I remember going on holiday with a roll of film and keeping the last exposure just in case something cropped up only to end up taking a picture of just about anything to use it up when we got home and I can compare that experience to taking my Sony A7 to Thailand and coming back with hundreds of pictures the vast majority of which I kept and there were as far as I can remember no obvious scrappers. Comparing that capture a memory hit rate to film I think digital is a clear step forward as despite trying to make every film shot count I was limited by the number of shots I could take and despite how careful I was there were sometimes scrappers including on occasions whole rolls. I've never had a whole days or weeks shots lost with digital.

Back