Sell D500 and D810 and get D850?

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all I’ve been thinking about this for quite some time but not yet took the plunge but anyone else sold both their D500 and D810 to go to just a single body in the D850 and if so any regrets on only having the single body (can’t imaging people regret getting d850)

Not done that but you can regret selling a crop + FF combo for FF only. 100% you can

Hi all I’ve been thinking about this for quite some time but not yet took the plunge but anyone else sold both their D500 and D810 to go to just a single body in the D850 and if so any regrets on only having the single body (can’t imaging people regret getting d850)

I have done that Adam but for me it was simply a matter of reducing weight and getting a DX & FX in one camera (46mp in FX and 19mp in DX crop).
The D850 gives fantastic resolution, whatever anyone says, pixels do matter, especially when shooting wildlife and you may need to crop ... the available detail is quite amazing.
What I do miss with the D500 is the AF, it is superb and I rarely missed a shot ... the D850 isn't quite the same for me but I am sure it is my ability with the D850 rather than a camera failing.
If I ever find myself yearning for the D500's AF (and I do) I just take a look at some of the photos I have taken and admire the resolution.

Thanks Roger, the D500 focus is something special and wasn't sure if the D850 was as good so would miss it but yes resolution is so key as you say and I am a real pixel peeper !!!

the issue of weight / only ever carrying one body at a time is another hence thinking about just one body to do all as when I take D810 for landscapes I see wildlife and don't have the D500 as that's in another bag with 200-500, idea now being I could carry 1 bag with 200-500 and my 16-35 and some filters :) as I am spending more time with a spotting scope than ever before so have been know to have the scope in one side of bag and camera in other side so could work really well

the issue of weight / only ever carrying one body at a time is another hence thinking about just one body to do all as when I take D810 for landscapes I see wildlife and don't have the D500 as that's in another bag with 200-500, idea now being I could carry 1 bag with 200-500 and my 16-35 and some filters :) as I am spending more time with a spotting scope than ever before so have been know to have the scope in one side of bag and camera in other side so could work really well

I imagined that I would constantly be in DX mode but I'm not as the extra pixels allows cropping without impacting resolution so much so it's almost permanently attached to the 200-500 and sometimes with a 1.4x fitted.
I sometimes also carry a little Nikon 1 V2 with 70-300 CX attached and that gives me 810mm equivalent at featherweight.
It all fits nicely in my backpack and is as much as I am now ever wanting to carry.

The 850 is a tank but makes a great companion for the 500, I think the 500 is a well underrated camera and is great with a 750, 810, 850 and with the crop a new range of focal lengths

The 850 is a tank but makes a great companion for the 500, I think the 500 is a well underrated camera and is great with a 750, 810, 850 and with the crop a new range of focal lengths
Thank you but keeping the D500 would not be an option as would need to sell both to fund, the D500 is amazing and always impresses for wildlife and keepers with fast moving subjects, I am just wanting to do more landscapes this year and as Roger says with wildlife you are always looking to crop even when I had a 600mm there was times you would still want to crop, if ebay final sale fees of £1 come back again soon I may list both bodies but its getting close to my holiday now so might have to wait but the D850 is creating an itch I really want to scratch

it will do good luck in your quest!

Well I listed my D810 this morning on eBay as their £1 final sale fee offer came through and it sold within an hour (did not expect that!) so now just to list the D500 but now I’m starting to question if I go D850 or Z7 now

I’m starting to question if I go D850 or Z7 now

This bothers me:

"The bad news is that the Z7 focus system is, still, just an improved version of Nikon’s live view autofocus. It isn’t at the same level as the 153-point phase detect system found in the Nikon D5, D850, and D500, or even the 51-point system found in older Nikon DSLRs – particularly in terms of tracking capabilities."

https://photographylife.com/reviews/nikon-z7/3

forget the z7 just now as its there first attempt at mirrorless i would wait till its the next generation or even the 3rd came along
you will be blown away by the d850 i know i was.
i very rarely use my d500 now

Thanks it was a moment of madness for landscape and portrait work I’d go z7 now but knowing I do
love wildlife etc it has to be D850

Very good choice - I've also just made the move from a D800e.

The D850 is the most complete camera every made.

Its only 2 downsides are its heavy & expensive.

Hi

I have just swapped my D810 for the 850, initial thought was for it companion my D500. That was a month or so ago and the 500 has not taken a single frame or been attached to a lens. The 850 is just spot on for me in every way, even think the AF is as good or better given the extra AF point options. Not missed the 500 at all yet.

Going to wait a bit longer before letting the 500 go as I do like dual bodies for resilience and ease using the 500/4 and 300/4 for subject distance difference, i do expect though sense will win and the 500 get sold.

Rob

Thanks all I pulled trigger tonight and purchased a D850 with 24-120 F4 kit the D500 will go it it’s been my favourite camera to date but looking forward to trying to get some osprey and red kite along with the welsh landscapes and if I’m lucky a few fast jets in 2 weeks time :)

Back