Selling a D50 - On its own or with a lens?

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi - As my upgrade bug continues to take hold I have recently acquired a Nikon 18-200mm (my dealer finally got his orders in from Dec '05 :eek:)
I have decided to upgrade my D50 to the new D80 (from what I've read this camera was almost made for this exact reason (y)) I hope Nikon do a better job of actually providing these to the dealers (?) Early September they are due in (is that being optimistic?) ...
My question is would I be better selling the D50 on its own or with a lens?
While waiting for the Nikon 18-200mm I picked up a Sigma 18-200mm (currently on Ebay - hoping for around £150?) - If I did not sell it I could sell it with the D50 or would I be better picking up a kit lens & selling the D50 with that?
What price could I expect for these combinations ...
  • D50 body (bought in UK April '06)
  • D50 & Sigma 18-200mm
  • D50 & kit lens (18-55mm are £50-£80 2nd hand?)
Any advice greatly appreciated - Paul (y)

as a general rule, camera's doubled up with lenses dont usually fetch as much ( on ebay ) ,

however, there is always someone looking for a ' starter ' kit, that will work straight away,

monitor the sales for a few days, for both the items you have, and also if there are any lens kits being sold, and see whats the best combo,

bear in mind that listing two items will cost double the amount of one item ( starting price dependent )

hope this helps

MyPix

as a general rule, camera's doubled up with lenses dont usually fetch as much ( on ebay ) ,

however, there is always someone looking for a ' starter ' kit, that will work straight away,

monitor the sales for a few days, for both the items you have, and also if there are any lens kits being sold, and see whats the best combo,

bear in mind that listing two items will cost double the amount of one item ( starting price dependent )

hope this helps

MyPix

Thanx MyPix very helpful (y)
Paul
PS - Any more pearls of wisdom anyone (?)

You may want to try selling it on here first?

There are always people looking out for starter kit or second bodies etc.

Have you asked your friendly dealer how much they'll give you as a trade-in? If you bought them from him in the first place and he knows you, he may cut you a good deal?

You may want to try selling it on here first?

There are always people looking out for starter kit or second bodies etc.

Have you asked your friendly dealer how much they'll give you as a trade-in? If you bought them from him in the first place and he knows you, he may cut you a good deal?

Gandhi - Hi - Yes I will try here first & elsewhere before 3Bay - I didn't buy the D50 from the dealer who I have the D80 on order with but you're right they would do a trade in (or have offered me trade-in's before) - It'd be interesting to see what they offer me :thinking:
Paul (y)

Gandhi - Hi - Yes I will try here first & elsewhere before 3Bay - I didn't buy the D50 from the dealer who I have the D80 on order with but you're right they would do a trade in (or have offered me trade-in's before) - It'd be interesting to see what they offer me :thinking:
Paul (y)
hmm, you might want to take a chair along with you to sit on when they make the actual offer,

i bought a Nikon storage/viewer last year before going to Oz for holiday , i then decided that it wasnt want i wanted for the trip and wanted the epson p2000 instead,

i went to jessops in gloucester looking for a trade in, bear in mind this unit was 1 week old, and i had not stored any pix on it yet, original new price ( from LCE ) was £349 , Jessops offered me £120 for something that was 1 week old !!!!! , the actual words i used were.......your joking ? i would rather go out in the carpark and play football with it than sell it for that money !!

sold it on ebay a week later for £319

so be prepared for bad news, used photographic kit has no residual trade in value , no matter the condition or age ,

the only exceptions are rare or Pro bits of kit

MyPix

MyPix - Fortunately the dealer I refer to is a "proper" camera dealer & not Jessops (who incidentally recently changed company policy & DONT do trade ins any more) - when I was changing my original kit lens & 70-300mm (G) the dealer offered me £150 when £180 was the going rate on 3Bay ...
Paul (y)

Back