Selling images to the local press

Name
PHILIP
Edit My Images
No
I'm looking at photographing the Thackley v Farsley game at the weekend. This is a local derby and the first time these tow teams have met in the league in quite a long time.

Add to that it is a top of the table clash, I think there could be some interest in the local media for this game. I've already read an article on the T&A website highlighting the fixture.

So my Q is how can I get in touch with the local press (thinking T&A and YEP etc) to see if they wish to buy any images from the game?

If my local rag is anything to go by they will take your shots and give you a name check but you will be lucky to get paid

Only if you let them.

Phil, the most important thing to do is to walk away from it if they don't offer to pay.

If they really want the shots, they'll magically "find some money" if you're prepared to say "no thanks - i don't do free"

Be prepared for a setback.. if its on there doorstep they will send a staffer round for 5 minutes :(

I am slowly being sucked into that.. have a fa vase match and a rugby match at same time and 10 miles apart on sat.. gonna get half an hr at each game :(

Only if you let them.

Phil, the most important thing to do is to walk away from it if they don't offer to pay.

If they really want the shots, they'll magically "find some money" if you're prepared to say "no thanks - i don't do free"

I know exactly where you are coming from but the ego really gets a boost seeing your name in print although the papers are laughing all the way to the bank

I know exactly where you are coming from but the ego really gets a boost seeing your name in print although the papers are laughing all the way to the bank

Does your leccy company accept newspaper credits as a form of payment?

Free publishing does nothing but devalue your work, and only gives everyone else the immediate impression it was published because it was free, rather than good! Nobody else involved in the papers production will be working for free, and neither should you :)

Just phones YEP and they said no-one has asked for any pics of that game and therefore would be unwilling to pay for them as 'money is tight'. They did say I could send them in and if they were printed I would get credit.

...............I'm walking away :wave:

Good man. You've made the first step in setting yourself up as a reputable operator in Yorkshire.

Sod the ego boost, it's the cash you're after.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/contactus.aspx

Main number there...ask for Picture Editor. Explain your situation etc. and offer him some shots.

Gary Coyle has dealt with the YEP before so might be able to give you some pointers on a fee!
Phillip, if you want a contact for the sports desk fior future reference drop me an email to gary dot coyle at sky dot com i'll give you the email addies i submit pics to for the YP and EP

Always beneficial after a refusal for payment to send them a link to a website where they can view the images you took so they can see what theyre missing out on, make sure every single image is 100% spot on, level, correctly exposed etc, etc, none of the "these are only for the web type shots"

Ive done this several times with locals up and down the North and had them coming to me.

Always beneficial after a refusal for payment to send them a link to a website where they can view the images you took so they can see what theyre missing out on, make sure every single image is 100% spot on, level, correctly exposed etc, etc, none of the "these are only for the web type shots"

Ive done this several times with locals up and down the North and had them coming to me.

I was thinking of doing this. Can't do any harm

The local I used to work for told people all the time they 'had no money' however I know for a fact they had a freelance budget - as my cousin used to work in the finance dept!

So never believe them when they say they dont pay for images. ;)

Good idea but watermark the web images.

I get my name in the paper a dozen times a week - but the name on the cheque is a bigger boost! Actually that doesn't happen any more - the money just gets magiced into the bank direct! :)

with the cock up my papers make of printing and cropping I actually prefer NO credit ...

Back