Selling my 70-200 f4 L for...

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
So I'm considering purchasing either a Canon 135 f2 L or a 200 f2.8 L and selling my 70-200 f4. Its sat on my desk for the past few months unused and I feel its time to move it on for something else. My main focus in photography is landscapes, but I plan to shoot more portraits and animal(mainly my Spaniel). I was curious if anyone had any experience with the above? My main concern is I lose focal length in the 135, however, I have feet I can walk too or away from my subject. Also, I'm off to Cuba in June and I feel I might want something I like my zoom to use. But the temptation for the wider aperture for street photos is pulling me in.

I'm also open to other suggestions.

John

What other lenses do you have?

I knew I was missing something, I have a canon 24-70 f4 is and a 50 f1.4. Will be moving onto a 5D III next month also, if that helps too.

The 135L is a splendid lens. I've had two copies and loved them, but the focal length is quite restrictive so I never kept them for too long - too much money tied up in a bookend. I've also had the 200 2.8 - also a lovely lens but even more restrictive. Of course, you may well find either focal length perfect for you - perhaps it would be an idea to check your library to see which FL you shoot at the most with the 70-200.

Stick your 70-200, put it to 135mm on and head out with it to see how you like that focal length for street photos. If it fits the bill then you don't need to worry about selling it on and can keep hold of it, if the focal length suits but you really would prefer f2 then get the 135.
Oh, as you're moving to a 5D3 from aps-c (think I remember you having a 7d at some point) then stick it at around 85mm to see how you get on with that as well.

I have both the 135mm f2 and 200mm f2.8 (I reviewed the 200mm here; https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/canon-200mm-f2-8-l-lens.203638/ )
The 135mm I find perfect for street photography (on a FF body) and portraits, it's one of Canon's sharpest lenses, and the bokeh is gorgeous.
I did use a 70-200mm f2.8 lens for a while, while the IQ is excellent, I found it a bit heavy to carry around all day.
My 200mm f2.8 is my walkabout lens on my 7D2 (often with a 1.4TC) when I'm out walking the dogs, again, a compact light lens that's incredibly sharp,
I agree about a wider aperture for street photography, you often can't control the backgrounds so the ability to kick it OOF by shooting at f2 to F4 is perfect.

Last edited:
Back