Selling price ebay vs selling price forum

Name
thomas
Edit My Images
Yes
I notice a lot of selling of time people have to sell their gear here for peanuts if they want to sell it at all. Because ebay can take 10% of you, it is expected that if you sell you'll gear here at ebay lowest price minus 10%, tranfert warranty, get it posted tommorow before 1pm special delivery, ...

Really it should be a two way thing. You buy from a trusted fellow photographer and some of them will transfert warranty which is not something you'll get on ebay.

Some might not be aware but every so often ebay as discount called "max fee 3£ for up to 100 item" if you list within the few days of the offer. It used to be less frequent but was "max 1£ fee". Recently I have notice it to pop up more often but has gone up to 3£. It's not amazon prime or the like there is no conterpart of the offer, just need to be listing within the few days of the offer that it. So if you are not in a rush keep that in mind, wait for the next offer, put it on ebay on fixed price option 30 day auction and you might make a bit more money.

Last edited:
I think your also less likely to get messed around on here as a buyer/seller.

If I was selling a lens for £2k I’d happily take a small hit and sell it for cheaper so that I didn’t have to go through the eBay merry go round only to have the buyer request and get a refund six months later!

Most sellers will quite rightly avoid eBay at all costs even if it means selling it cheaper elsewhere.

I completely agree. I have loads of stuff in my attic which years ago would have been sold off on ebay.
Now, I just can't be bothered with the hassle and the jumping through hoops.

If I'm selling camera equipment, I usually post here or see what the likes of MBP can offer anything eventually makes it's way onto Facebook marketplace when I get the time.

I notice a lot of selling of time people have to sell their gear here for peanuts if they want to sell it at all. Because ebay can take 10% of you, it is expected that if you sell you'll gear here at ebay lowest price minus 10%, tranfert warranty, get it posted tommorow before 1pm special delivery, ...

Really it should be a two way thing. You buy from a trusted fellow photographer and some of them will transfert warranty which is not something you'll get on ebay.

Some might not be aware but every so often ebay as discount called "max fee 3£ for up to 100 item" if you list within the few days of the offer. It used to be less frequent but was "max 1£ fee". Recently I have notice it to pop up more often but has gone up to 3£. It's not amazon prime or the like there is no conterpart of the offer, just need to be listing within the few days of the offer that it. So if you are not in a rush keep that in mind, wait for the next offer, put it on ebay on fixed price option 30 day auction and you might make a bit more money.

If people want to sell on here for the price they sell for, why are you advising everyone against it and consequently hinting at the demise of the classifieds?

If I sell on here, I know for a fact I will get a bit less than ebay and I am happy with that, similarly I expect to pay a bit less on here than the going ebay rate as a benefit to buying on here. As a seller on here you get a lot more protection than you do on ebay and no PayPal fees (3.4% + 20p). I have sold stuff on ebay using the £1 offer for £1200 still I was charged £1 + about £40 from PayPal.

It is a two way thing, a lot of sellers on here are happy to sell at slightly less for a few reasons, these include: Keeping it in this community, selling to someone you know (sometimes), helping out another forum user, less likely to be messed about, knowing it's going to a good home etc.

Silly thread.

I just beleive some buyer are unrealistic in their expectations

see what the likes of MBP
I had forgotten this now the tendancy is not ebay lowest minus 10% but it is MPB + posting cost price, why bother sometimes...

selling to someone you know (sometimes)
I totally agree with this and that what it should be, not haggling for 365£ because you can't strecht to 370£, some people have no shame when they deal online.

Silly thread.
Indeed just moaning out loud really.

I had the £3 offer lately from ebay but still sold my 56mm here as I trust this site more than an extra few quid.

I advised my mate to buy a canon 50d years ago and told him I'd find one for him on here. Few days later he called to say he got one via ebay and asked me to check it. It came in shocking condition without a body cap. It went straight back but it's not a great tale.

The last time I sold a lens I had it in a couple of forum classifieds for £90 and was expecting to get haggled down £10 and eventually sell for £80 but there was very little interest. I got a 'sell for £3' offer from email and decided to stick it on eBay with a BIN and offers listing as well, it sold for the BIN of £120 within an hour of listing it. Maybe that's why eBay is still thriving...

I had the £3 offer lately from ebay but still sold my 56mm here as I trust this site more than an extra few quid.

I advised my mate to buy a canon 50d years ago and told him I'd find one for him on here. Few days later he called to say he got one via ebay and asked me to check it. It came in shocking condition without a body cap. It went straight back but it's not a great tale.

I bought a lens on here a few years ago, it wasn't working has advertised. Contacted the seller which never reply also it had a fair bit of feedback and thousands post, he did a runner and was banned from the forum. Sold the lens later on ebay for spare not working. Lost a couple hundred pounds in the way...
There's such story on this forum too, have a look in the disputed thread!

I used to think like you and most of my kit come from this forum. It's just that I have found haggling down, high expectation and little interrest frustrating at time.

I just beleive some buyer are unrealistic in their expectations

I had forgotten this now the tendancy is not ebay lowest minus 10% but it is MPB + posting cost price, why bother sometimes...

I totally agree with this and that what it should be, not haggling for 365£ because you can't strecht to 370£, some people have no shame when they deal online.

Indeed just moaning out loud really.

Some people sell for MPB price + postage as that can actually be easier and quicker than selling to MPB. They also want to see a forum member get a good deal rather than a big company make some profit. A guy on here sold me an XT2 and lens etc for MPB price and made the effort to come and meet me with it, just a genuinely nice thing to do. Funnily enough when I tried to resell on here I couldn’t do sold it on eBay and just broke even.

I find the haggling part quite fun and imagine most people have a bit of wiggle room.

At the end of the day you can advertise on here for whatever price you want, but a buyer will only pay what they want to pay.

If you put an auction on eBay, it could, and does end at any amount which could be less than here.

The last time I sold a lens I had it in a couple of forum classifieds for £90 and was expecting to get haggled down £10 and eventually sell for £80 but there was very little interest. I got a 'sell for £3' offer from email and decided to stick it on eBay with a BIN and offers listing as well, it sold for the BIN of £120 within an hour of listing it. Maybe that's why eBay is still thriving...

I have experienced this as well. eBay has a much bigger user base, therefore more demand and interest at a higher price. Problem is, if you want to sell for eBay prices, you have to sell on eBay.

Gumtree etc and Facebook don’t get anywhere near as much interest.

I bought a lens on here a few years ago, it wasn't working has advertised. Contacted the seller which never reply also it had a fair bit of feedback and thousands post, he did a runner and was banned from the forum. Sold the lens later on ebay for spare not working. Lost a couple hundred pounds in the way...
There's such story on this forum too, have a look in the disputed thread!

I used to think like you and most of my kit come from this forum. It's just that I have found haggling down, high expectation and little interrest frustrating at time.
There's definitely some dodgy folk in every corner including here. I actually had the opposite experience recently. I was buying a lens and accidently sent the money twice. Seller promptly transferred the money straight back to me. Top bloke. I am maybe a bit too trusting but it's simply because I've never had an issue with sellers or buyers here or at av forums.

Just another wee heartwarmer haha. I was looking for a fuji 50-140 and had posted a wanted add here and at av forums. Guy contacted me saying he had one and told me he was in Fife. I popped onto Google maps and it was a 160 mile round trip. This didn't faze me but the guy Simon helpfully offered to take his wife to Costco in Edinburgh which would have halved my journey. Next he suggested he would come to Glasgow as he would take his wife to the ideal home show there. I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Ended up meeting me just about three miles from my home !!! Saved me time and money and the lens is a stunner just like he said in the ad. Top bloke. Sells here also by the name of simes if I'm not mistaken.

Is there any protection when buying from a member of this forum?
No I don't suppose there is unless it's the standard PayPal protection. In saying that I mostly pay by bank transfer so more fool me. I tend to think it's unlikely that people who will contribute to a forum year after year will rip someone else off. They have usually posted personal stuff about their business etc and it wouldn't be worth the hassle to have the wronged member turning up and embarrassing you for the sake of a few hundred quid or a bit more. Newcomers will always be a different kettle of fish until they've got some good feedback in my book.

Minimising risk/stress:

1. MPB
2. TP
3. eBay

Potentially the most profitable

1. eBay
2. TP
3. MPB

TP is a nice balance of the 3, reasonably risk free (technically less safe than eBay, but the reality is a bit different), usually a middle ground in terms of prices and often by far the quickest in terms of transaction time.

No I don't suppose there is unless it's the standard PayPal protection. In saying that I mostly pay by bank transfer so more fool me. I tend to think it's unlikely that people who will contribute to a forum year after year will rip someone else off. They have usually posted personal stuff about their business etc and it wouldn't be worth the hassle to have the wronged member turning up and embarrassing you for the sake of a few hundred quid or a bit more. Newcomers will always be a different kettle of fish until they've got some good feedback in my book.

I can understand that. What surprises me is the amount of gear some members buy and sell. Looking at the GAS threads, it seems some members have been through every system available, so it makes sense they have bought and sold a lot but for others that stick to one system I am surprised.

Even sticking to one system though doesn't mean keeping the same lenses etc. I was with canon for years and bought tons of lenses and sold them when I fancied something else. Probably because I hadn't a clue what I wanted to shoot.

Personally I prefer e.bay I have a good selling record circa 1500 with a 100% feedback ,I ensure that every little detail is listed properly ,post sometimes the same day ,keep a track on every item sent and prompt buyer if the p.o leave a while you were out card . Never yet had a problem .tried selling on here a few times a few good and one total a******e that wanted brand new for peanut money ,refunded the f****r and got £30 more on the bay for it .
Swings and roundabouts

I sold my little 85mm hassle free and just £1 fee on ebay. Likewise I sold some gear here without going all out cheap. If people choose to sell well below the going rate then that's their decision and their RIGHT to do so. It doesn't mean you have to do so, but I'm sure you will agree it is sometimes helpful when you are the buyer.

Perhaps I've just been unlucky, but selling on ebay has been causing problems for me recently. Of the last half dozen items I've sold, I've had 2 people fail to pay and another who only paid when strongly 'encouraged'. If that keeps happening, I'll probably stop selling on ebay. I'm hoping it's just bad luck!

Back