Selling prints.. to mount, or not to mount?

Name
Louise Knight
Edit My Images
No
Hello!

I'm selling some of my prints on a stall in a few weeks, but before I buy all the packaging etc I wanted to know what the best way to sell them is!

A - Print only (am thinking both 5x5 and 8x8)

B - Print with mount (if this option, what size do I get the mounts?!)

Thank you for any help! This is the only thing holding me back from printing and prepping them ready!

Louise

The sizes you are proposing- getting mounts of these sizes is not as widespread as other more common sizes , like 5x7 , 6x8 and 8x10.

You may want to consider clear front print bags too, for protyection - as these are genrally very cheap.

The sizes you are proposing- getting mounts of these sizes is not as widespread as other more common sizes , like 5x7 , 6x8 and 8x10.

You may want to consider clear front print bags too, for protyection - as these are genrally very cheap.

Sorry if I'm mistaken, but that wasn't really an answer to the question I asked? My prints are all going to be square format, so would it be best to sell them with mounts (if so then what size?) or without, so the customer can choose which size themselves? I know the sizes aren't widespread but custom mounts are available all over the place so I'm just trying to decide whether to mount or not??

I will be buying clear bags once I've got the prints (and mounts if I get them!) but obviously I don't want to buy packaging and then it be the wrong size :)

It does depend on the subject but my experience is that framed prints sell best of all - many people seem to prefer not having to source frames etc themselves.

Of you're 2 options mounting is the best idea - they'll look much better when displayed on your stall

Simon

Selling from a stall face to face will be like any other product.. all about presentation.. better presented=more sales IMHO..Therefore I would say wiht mount.. I sell online and sell without mount as it doesnt make a differencve.. But if I where to sell in a shop or at a stall I would deffo go for mount. As for size of mounts. i don't know how important that is.

Sorry, it was just a point with regard to the sizes you are going to do your prints at- which is fine, it's a nice format- it's just that if you were going to mount these, getting hold of mounts to take these are not as freely , widely, or cheaply available.

To answer the main question - a mounted print will look so much better, will enhance the value of the work, and looks more professional.

Last edited:
I would sugest to you Louise that prints would look best if mounted, better if framed.
A 5x5 print will look good mounted in a 8x8mount.
A 8x8 print will look good mounted in a 10x10 mount IMO.
All mount sizes are freely available as you stated.
I have just visited a well known art photographers exhibition and most of his work was mounted to this approx size and they looked the part.
If you have local exhibition or studio in your area pop in and see.
Hope this is of help.

Thanks for all your replies

Sorry, it was just a point with regard to the sizes you are going to do your prints at- which is fine, it's a nice format- it's just that if you were going to mount these, getting hold of mounts to take these are not as freely , widely, or cheaply available.

To answer the main question - a mounted print will look so much better, will enhance the value of the work, and looks more professional.

No need to say sorry, Mark :) I'm aware the sizes aren't the 'usual', however mounts aren't a problem as I will probably have them custom cut.

I would sugest to you Louise that prints would look best if mounted, better if framed.
A 5x5 print will look good mounted in a 8x8mount.
A 8x8 print will look good mounted in a 10x10 mount IMO.
All mount sizes are freely available as you stated.
I have just visited a well known art photographers exhibition and most of his work was mounted to this approx size and they looked the part.
If you have local exhibition or studio in your area pop in and see.
Hope this is of help.

THANK YOU! That's the tricky bit I was struggling with, what size should the mounts go up to. help much appreciated thank you for taking the time :)

form a buyers point of view, mounted looks far more professional and also better protects the image. therefore even if the mount is in a colour I don't like I'm more inclined to buy a mounted image over a non-mounted one.

Hope this helps

Back