Semi portable lighting setup for portraits and headshots

Name
Grant
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there,
I'm looking to upgrade my lighting setup (modifier and stands), to allow me to get into portraits, both at home and outside.

At the moment I currently have:

5 in 1 circular reflector
Standard shoot through umbrella
80cm octabox
2x cheap light stands

Unfortunately the light stands I have are pretty useless, especially with the large octabox (unstable due to base), so can't be used outside. Ideally I'd like to get a couple of speed light compatible soft boxes, than can be modified with say a grid, and can be compacted down for travel if needed.

Any recommendations? Budget - ~£250 for a couple of stands and a couple of modifiers, and maybe something to hold a reflector?

Thanks, Grant

You don't say what your actually currently using as your light source. The Lenacrta stands for £29.99 are reasonably substantial, I've been using a 120cm beauty dish on one with a full size head with no issues. The 5 in 1 reflectors also on the Lencarta site £22, £15 for the brolly and so on.
In fact if you visit their site they have your whole shopping list within your budget.

Oops sorry I did list my lighting gear but then editted before posting! I use speed lights for lighting.

Have you tried weighing down your lightstands when using the big softbox? That's almost the certain thing you do out in the field no matter what you use.

I have a 60cm octa, some reflective and shoot through umbrellas, a 180 cm Westcott 2 rogue xl flashbender kits a version 1 and a version 2 and a rogue grid, a cheap Chinese boomstand and 2 manfrotto nano. Apart from getting some good stands I can't think of anything you need, a couple of stripboxes?
This was shot with an AD360 in 180cm reflective Westcott + diffusion, hair/rim was a TT685 in rogue flashbender XL2 stripbox.
PICT_20170514_143749.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
You seem to have all the flash power you need for what you want, but are frustrated with the stands and practicality.

Better stands are a start, but as above you'll still need to weigh them down if you don't have an assistant to hold each one.

Apart from sandbags etc there's also the option of tying them down, whether with guidelines and pegs or bungee cords.

The other 'interesting' option is either a C stand or a light stand with a single adjustable leg (can't remember what this is called) I think @mike weeks has one.

Shopping bag with stones, bottles with water, your gear bag etc.

You seem to have all the flash power you need for what you want, but are frustrated with the stands and practicality.

Better stands are a start, but as above you'll still need to weigh them down if you don't have an assistant to hold each one.

Apart from sandbags etc there's also the option of tying them down, whether with guidelines and pegs or bungee cords.

The other 'interesting' option is either a C stand or a light stand with a single adjustable leg (can't remember what this is called) I think @mike weeks has one.

Look for a Rocky Mountain leg such as this, not cheap but really stable http://www.wexphotographic.com/matt...ucsahEmBUvDXwoCBABVsw8PfLG2fXb5lLQaAoxl8P8HAQ

Mike

Having an 80cm Octabox on most stands in the field will act as a sail and will be blown over, I lost my very first one that way due to my carelessness of not securing the stand. I haven't made the same mistake again and always use my Lowepro AW back pack or something appropriate to secure said stand. The Lencarta stands are robust, that's for sure, but I am equally happy to use my Phot-R stand in the field as well, it's a little lighter to carry and I always secure it just as I would the Lencarter's.
Power wise, my SB-800's seem to offer as much power as I need but I am hankering for a proper power pack to aid recycling times.

Thanks for the responses guys. Yes, I think the main thing I'm after are better light stands, e.g with a wider footprint - which will aid stability.

What do people recommend to attach a flash and box/brolly to a light stand? I have a couple of basic universal neweer 'swivel' type brackets, with an umbrella lock. The main problem I find is I can't angle the head down enough, if for example raising the height of the light.

C stands seem to be the most versatile in terms of positioning but are quite expensive from what I've seen.

Manfrotto umbrella brackets og Godox S-brackets.

Manfrotto umbrella brackets og Godox S-brackets.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Godox-S-Ty...id=1494989965&sr=8-1&keywords=Godox+s+bracket Best bracket going, lots of togs on here use them, less weight on a small hotshoe and very secure.
61ATyEQhKFL._SL1000_.jpg

Yes and holding big modifiers in place better than even the manfrotto bracket.

C-Stands with sand bags are a good investment - if a little heavy to carry too far. Very flexible if you get an added extension arm with a grip head. The original ones from Matthews are a bit dear but Kupo Grip are just as good and a little cheaper.

I have a Profoto Octa box 90cm, with a Bowen Compact stand. I also have a bracket that hold 2 speedlites. This give me double the light for outdoor shoot, also have a sandbag but instead of sand, I prefer filling it up with rocks on the beach. Much easier to collect, empty and clean, sand get everywhere and hard to remove!

ObMY4nk.jpg

Back