Semi-pro insurance

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
No
Can I have some suggestions for semi-pro insurance please? Am looking for;

£100,000 legal cover
£100,000 Professional Indemnity cover, more is OK but not less
£10,000,000 public liability cover (needed for race tracks these days)

Cover for kit out of the home would also be useful but not essential.

I shoot motorsport, street photography, architectural and various other bits but not weddings.

I am aware of Hiscox via Policy Bee but the cover is quite expensive. All suggestions and examples of current suppliers welcome. Thanks.

Bear in mind there's no such thing as semi pro in the insurance world. Your either making money or you ain't. Aaudki are good but you'll need to ask for 10m PL cover. They will provide on request

Do you need such a high PI, You are taking photographs, not doing building work.

I might be wrong but i think insurance companies don`t do semi pro anything ? or do they

My definition of semi pro - I have a full time job and the photography is a side line and not my main income. £10m needed by some race tracks these days. I just wanted to make it clear that photography isn’t my main or sole income.

I might be wrong but i think insurance companies don`t do semi pro anything ? or do they
When I looked at insurance as a hobby photographer 5 or so years back there was a ‘semi pro/part time’ option if you made some money from photography but it wasn’t your main income. The cost was lower than both full time pro and hobbyist insurance. I was told the reason hobbyist insurance was so high was because it was amazing how many hobbyists managed to drop their camera once a new model was out. Bit of a coincidence but I guess it’s hard to prove.

I’m not sure if they still do it as I use home insurance which is cheaper than photography insurance.

Silverstone, since when ?

this is a quote from last years applications
  1. Photographers must enclose evidence of public liability insurance cover – minimum level £5M.
I've held season accreditation for the last 10 years there and it's always been the same, so unless it's changed this year...

Stuart

1. Photographers must enclose evidence of public liability insurance cover – minimum level £5M.
I've held season accreditation for the last 10 years there and it's always been the same, so unless it's changed this year...

Stuart

Stuart

The Silverstone Classic requires £10m of liability cover.

I've done the Silverstone Classic every year since 2008 and they've never asked for that, where did you get your info from.

This is off last years application, before the event was cancelled...

* Do you require a media tabard for enabling trackside access? (Please note that, if going trackside, a tabard and long trousers MUST be worn. Tabards will be allocated on a first come first served basis over the weekend and will require a £10 returnable deposit. In addition, access can only be granted on the provision of evidence of Public Liability Insurance. It is also advisable for long trousers to be worn if going trackside).

hope that helps, pointless paying for extra when it's not needed

Stuart

Last edited:
Somewhere I have seen that £10m was required for the Classic, I will try and dig it out. The website does not mention how much PLI is required.

Semi pro or pro, if you accidentally burn down that building because your battery exploded and lit a curtain, you are not getting a discount because you got a 9-5 job. Some venue requires you to have a cover with £5 or 10mil, again, the venue don’t really care about your other day job flipping burgers.

“sorry, can I get a discount from your lawsuit because I have a day job?”

see the logic here?

Get an insurance with adequate cover, that’s the important part.

Last edited:
Back