(Semi) Stand Development ILFOTEC LC29

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
Just devd 2 films in a 1:100 solution of LC29 for an hour and have negs drying that look as good as similar developments that i've done in rodinal.

One roll of 127 EFKE shot through a Zeiss Ikon baby box camera

The other film.... An old Verichrome Pan 12 exposure that came out of a 126 instamatic that had the film already in it when i purchased ages ago.....so long that i actually dont have the camera any more.
Some of the images may prove to be interesting when i scan them.

Obviously i'll post up on here.

Anyway, returning back to thé dev process...... I am becoming more and more convinced that stand developing can be achieved with just about any developer although it seems most folk tend to follow the rodinal route.

Tbh i wouldnt hesitate in dropping a film, b&w or colour, intro a 1:100 solution of whatever developer.

Asha, I am very interested in the results. I tend to exclusively use LC29, usually at 1-19. Hadn't thought of Stand Dev'ing with it. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Just devd 2 films in a 1:100 solution of LC29 for an hour and have negs drying that look as good as similar developments that i've done in rodinal.

Hmmmm... I'd too be interested to see the results, as I almost exclusively use LC29 myself. I'd be particularly curious to see how stand development with LC29 handles contrasty scenes.

Well the negs are dry and those from the baby box look to be quite good ..... Plenty of contrast!

If i av a chance this evening, i'll make a start scanning....if not then watch this space over thé next couple of days.

Asha, I am very interested in the results. I tend to exclusively use LC29, usually at 1-19. Hadn't thought of Stand Dev'ing with it. Looking forward to seeing the results.

Hmmmm... I'd too be interested to see the results, as I almost exclusively use LC29 myself. I'd be particularly curious to see how stand development with LC29 handles contrasty scenes.

Ok guys here's the first four negs that were shot on the Zeiss Ikon Baby Box camera from the early 1930's . Fixed F/11 and fixed 1/25 shutter.

Brilliant results can hardly be expected from such an old camera, however I have had sharper results before....tbh I'm struggling to get the negs flat in the scanner this time, so that helps none! lol

Anyhow, these are mainly for you to see the effects of the semi stand dev in LC29 ......What do you reckon??...I personally think it handles contrast quite well....looks to work as good as Rodinal imo.

Just to note, other than a little sharpening to compensate the scanner, these images are as per the negatives.

1. View attachment 17025

2. View attachment 17026

3.View attachment 17028

4. View attachment 17029

@Asha these look pretty good to me, nice tonal range and no strange effects apparent. I will definitely give this a go! How long did the negs stand for?

Thanks for sharing and experimenting, leading edge chemistry exploration!

Last edited:
@Asha
, leading edge chemistry exploration!

So "leading edge"", i'm rapidly catching up with the No 1 mad master chemist himself @robhooley167 :D

Mmm no strange effects apparent??...well there was a guy attached to them boots when i took the pic:wideyed::D

My "hit and miss" deving times, temps etc were as follows:

Developing solution 1:100 ( ish) ( 4ml dev to 400ml water)

Temperature 20°C (ish) straight out of the tap which atm is about 22 / 23°C

Time I hour (ish) ....a tad over i think so probably 70 mins.

Agitated for approx 30 secs to start then a couple of twirls at somewhere near the half hour mark.

Water stop with water that had been sat in a jug for the previous hour so temp would be near to the dev solution temp. ( This is an area that i have found can be quite important...if the stop temp is significantly lower than the developing solution, a clumping effect can occur with the emulsion leading to blotchiness in the resulting images. Seems to depend on the film but fomopan and efke were both susceptible.

Fixed for at least 6 mins .....nearer 15 as i was supping a mug of tea and starting this thread on here :D

Wash.... seems to go on forever!:meh: :indifferent:

Dry

Scan

Sorry if it sounds a bit of a slack attitude but in all honesty I've often devd to tight timings and "perfection" and overall not had differing results to a less regimented attitude towards the process ( which i find to be more fun / enjoyable)...probably one of the reasons why i like semi stand developing.

Aha! Just the sort of info I was after. Just posted a thread about the same thing only with Verichrome. I shall give this a go in a bit.

Cheers Asha.

@Asha

Yeah, I missed this first time round. Having done some semi-stand at the weekend with Rodinal, I think a purchase of some new chems will be in order! Love the results of this. How does the grain compare to Rodinal stand?

Minimal grain ......lc29 gives an overall smoother result compared to rodinal tho so does hc 110 developer.

Cool - Rodinal grain can definitely get aggressive with some films, even with semi-stand. Going to give this a proper go!

Ace. I've tried semi stand one before and today shot two rolls of PanF, using sunny 16. Problem is that one in shot at 1/100 instead of 1/50. Will semi stand them this Eve and see how they do.

I was going to Dev them separately but will do both together after reading this. Nice and reassuring lol.

Cheers!

Back