Sending camera batteries

Skyline

Emmet Brickowski
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I have a Canon 7D I will be selling.

What's are the rules on sending batteries with it. I have 6 batteries for it. I know I can put one in the chamber but what about the other 5?

myhermes or parcelforce seems to be the ones I would use.

I have a Canon 7D I will be selling.

What's are the rules on sending batteries with it. I have 6 batteries for it. I know I can put one in the chamber but what about the other 5?

myhermes or parcelforce seems to be the ones I would use.
From my experience post office can be very cautious about batteries.

I've had a parcel refused from sending a camera as the battery is removable. They said if it was a non-removable battery it would be ok.

Don't really understand why.

parcel force seem ok about it.
"Batteries, specifically new and used lithium batteries when sent with or connected to an electronic device."

So you should be OK.

Last edited:
Royal mail want £29 next day delivery. Parcelforce £15. I know who I wont be using.

Royal mail want £29 next day delivery. Parcelforce £15. I know who I wont be using.

Are you comparing like for like?

£29 for RMSD would be a 10kg parcel with £2500 insurance. There doesn’t seem to be an equivalent Parcelforce product for £15.

Are you comparing like for like?

£29 for RMSD would be a 10kg parcel with £2500 insurance. There doesn’t seem to be an equivalent Parcelforce product for £15.

Royal mail up to 3kg.

But more importantly, can I send 6 batteries with the camera :)

Royal mail up to 3kg.

But more importantly, can I send 6 batteries with the camera :)

There is no RMSD for 3kg.

It’s up to 100grams, 500grams, 1kg, 2kg, 10kg or 20kg. £29.60 is the rate for 10kg with the extra insurance up to £2500.

Pretty sure both have the same battery restrictions.

I probably typed in 3kg for the weight.

Whoever I use I was wondering how many batteries I can send with it.

RMSD

D8_BD6_F09-35_B5-4592-818_B-4509_A35125_E6.jpg

Parcelforce

A99_BF3_DE-_D526-4_C9_B-972_B-_C8_EF845_E2_C09.jpg

Note the compensation differences.

I probably typed in 3kg for the weight.

Whoever I use I was wondering how many batteries I can send with it.

As I said, Parcelforce have exactly the same restriction as Royal Mail. 1 in device and 2 spares.

Lithium ion/polymer batteries sent with equipment - The maximum number of batteries allowed in each package is the minimum number required to power the equipment plus two spares.

https://www.parcelforce.com/sites/default/files/Parcelforce_contract_prohibitions_restrictions_0.pdf

I notice you mention MyHermes in your OP, just be aware that MyHermes will carry your camera at your risk, no compensation is offered for loss or damage.

Excluded Items are goods which Hermes will carry but, are sent at your own risk. Hermes will not compensate you for loss, damage or late delivery of Excluded Items.

• Cameras

And should you send a battery in the parcel they reserve the right to destroy your parcel.

Prohibited items
We have listed below Prohibited Items.
Prohibited Items are goods which Hermes will not carry.
Hermes will not compensate you for loss, damage or late delivery of Prohibited Items.
If any Prohibited Items are found in our delivery network we will dispose of them. Please refer to our Terms and Conditions.

dangerous.png

DANGEROUS GOODS
battery.png

BATTERIES
explosives.png

EXPLOSIVES
drugs.png

DRUGS

https://www.myhermes.co.uk/help/carry-guide.html

I wont use MyHermes then :)

Looks like Royal mail with only 3 batteries.

If someone would take the batteries, yeah :LOL:

Even leaving the batteries aside (it’s an industry wide prohibition so you’ll struggle to succeed there). Package up the camera and charger etc, to be under 2kg and package the non-important stuff like manuals and power lead separately.

You could send the main 2kg parcel RMSD with £500 compensation for £11 and the less important bits and pieces 1st class signed for with £50 compensation for £4.40 making a total postage of just over £15.

We advise customers returning laptop batteries to us to use collect plus.
Never had a problem getting batteries returned.

Up to 5kg is £6.29 or £7.29 for a faster delivery.
Then add £5 for up to £300 cover.

It is unlikely that a sale of the camera will be swayed by the number of spare batteries included in the deal.
Just sell the camera and the two spares that you know you can safely post. That way you save all the hassle. Your spare batteries are no use to you so just recycle them.

That's interesting - have never been offered that - I've always printed my own.

When I tell them the parcel contains batteries they select something on the machine and out comes a snazzy looking label

Why do they list batteries as a prohibited item then?

C35_A73_FA-262_B-4481-9536-_C0_AC207_BCDF3.jpg

I know that and they all do but we've been sending customer to them for years and never had a problem.

The problem with Royal Mail is that much of their post and parcels travel by plane. if this is the case with your parcel it will be scanned, battery detected and destroyed. If it doesn't go by plane the chances are it will get to it's destination without any problems. Despite warning customers about returning batteries to us via Royal Mail, some still do and we do get batteries delivered by RM.

Collect+ are a road service only so the chances are nobody every knows what's in your box and probably don't care. RM prohibit batteries because of strict CAA regulations, the rest is probably just an over jealous health and safety thing.

The fact is that every single courier will say they don't ship batteries and yet batteries are shipped all over the country every day.

I know that and they all do but we've been sending customer to them for years and never had a problem.

The problem with Royal Mail is that much of their post and parcels travel by plane. if this is the case with your parcel it will be scanned, battery detected and destroyed.

19 pages of angry customers on the eBay forums, including people having parcels intercepted and destroyed for prohibited items.

Collect-Plus-Avoid-like-the-plague/

If he used them and his parcel is destroyed by Collect+ would you be offering to compensate him? :whistle:

The problem with Royal Mail is that much of their post and parcels travel by plane. if this is the case with your parcel it will be scanned, battery detected and destroyed. If it doesn't go by plane the chances are it will get to it's destination without any problems. Despite warning customers about returning batteries to us via Royal Mail, some still do and we do get batteries delivered by RM.

Collect+ are a road service only so the chances are nobody every knows what's in your box and probably don't care. RM prohibit batteries because of strict CAA regulations, the rest is probably just an over jealous health and safety thing.

The fact is that every single courier will say they don't ship batteries and yet batteries are shipped all over the country every day.

Batteries are allowed on planes though, have to be either in the device or packed with their terminals covered, I use bank money bags which seem to be acceptable.
Believe its one in the device and two spares, so same as Royal Mail which covers them if carried by aeroplane

19 pages of angry customers on the eBay forums, including people having parcels intercepted and destroyed for prohibited items.

If he used them and his parcel is destroyed by Collect+ would you be offering to compensate him? :whistle:

I've used Collect Plus a number of times without issue. Regarding batteries I had an online chat with Collect Plus some time ago. I saved it for future reference. Here's the main part:

Me: Can you please tell me if I am allowed to send two used Li-ion camera batteries and a camera battery charger (all in original packaging) to Northern Ireland using Collect Plus. Many thanks for your help.

Reply: As long as the batteries are packaged correctly, ie well wrapped and packaged, and that they have a warning sticker on the outside of the packaging to show that the parcel contains batteries then it will be ok to send them

Last edited:
I've used Collect Plus a number of times without issue. Regarding batteries I had an online chat with Collect Plus some time ago. I saved it for future reference. Here's the main part:

Me: Can you please tell me if I am allowed to send two used Li-ion camera batteries and a camera battery charger (all in original packaging) to Northern Ireland using Collect Plus. Many thanks for your help.

Reply: As long as the batteries are packaged correctly, ie well wrapped and packaged, and that they have a warning sticker on the outside of the packaging to show that the parcel contains batteries then it will be ok to send them

Got a feeling I bought a couple of batteries from you too, no idea who delivered them though

Got a feeling I bought a couple of batteries from you too, no idea who delivered them though

You did. :) I can't remember - but it would have been RM or Collect Plus. But probably Collect Plus if no camera involved.

Last edited:

Hey, I just offered a suggestion. We send customers their way and have done for years without any issues. The OP can do what he pleases.

So you found 19 pages of people bashing Collect +. Whoppie do, I bet I can find 19 pages on just about any courier in the UK. When last did you jump onto a forum to tell everybody how pleased you were that your delivery turned up on time?

Last edited:
Batteries are allowed on planes though, have to be either in the device or packed with their terminals covered, I use bank money bags which seem to be acceptable.
Believe its one in the device and two spares, so same as Royal Mail which covers them if carried by aeroplane

Yes, the OP can send a camera with a battery and 2 spares, but not 5 spares.
I don't make the rules and nor do I understand them.

Yes Al, as posted a number of times in this thread, 3 batteries being 1 in device and 2 spares is permissible by most couriers, and the Royal Mail...

;)

For Sale: Canon 7D. No batteries as it's not worth the trouble. Buy your own batteries. Plenty of genuine ones from China cheap on flebay. Just type in Genuine Conon 7D battery :LOL: :LOL:

Back