Sensor cleaning kits

Dangermouse

Squeaky Clean
Edit My Images
No
Having been foolish enough to stand at the rear of a Bristol Hercules aero engine at the weekend, thus acquiring a few dust bunnies, I am taking my camera (D810) in for a sensor clean, I do own an Arctic Butterfly and Rocket blower but feel these only remove some of the particles, what's the best and most cost effective cleaning kit out there, wet or dry as I am more than capable and confident enough to do this myself if the need arises again, and I am sure it will as most of my photography is on airfields.

Pete

If the Artic butterfly doesn't clean a sensor then this is my next step

I prefer to use the rounded end cleaning sponge sticks as it can cover a smaller areas

Zsr3qbe.jpg

but also use the spade types as well if necessary

I put a small spot on a clean work surface and dip the swap into it, far easier to control how much is applied to the swab. Any other way and you can flood the swab and that then really soaks the sensor and harder to wipe clean or dry. Then I use a dry swap to clear if any smears that may be left.

i have done my camera many times in the past and well worth doing. You are not without a camera for a time and at least you know it has been done properly.

I do have a "loupe" as well which makes the job so much easier. "Oh the cost" I often read for people. compare it with sending away a few times and the cost is covered.

Absolutely no way would I let anyone, who might have had a bad hair day, dive into my cameras to poke about in them , they cost me a lot of money so on that basis alone i am going to be more careful than some stranger.

AS for a rocket blower? yes I have use in a hurry but my thoughts are that it stirs up more dust within the camera body so tend to avoid if possible

So many think only professionals can clean a sensor, yet if they only realise how easy it is they would save a bundle. The only caveat is not to rush it and work in a clean area away from say carpets etc that may stir up dust

Last edited:
Sensor cleaning has become my worst enemy lately. Having been frustrated with the Sensorklear pen, butterfly brush and rocket blower needing multiple attempts to get it satisfactory I recently bought the wet swabs. Initial impressions were good, looked clear through the loupe and looked clear shooting a piece of white paper and viewing 1:1. However, up the dehaze slider in lightroom and all of a sudden you can see dust bunnies again.

Ok pretty extreme and in the real world I doubt they’ll show up (unless I do some extreme processing), but it’s just frustrating that I don’t seem to be able to get my sensor 100% dust free. Maybe I need to hire a sterile/dust free lab :LOL:

Pete

If the Artic butterfly doesn't clean a sensor then this is my next step

I prefer to use the rounded end cleaning sponge sticks as it can cover a smaller areas

Zsr3qbe.jpg

but also use the spade types as well if necessary

I put a small spot on a clean work surface and dip the swap into it, far easier to control how much is applied to the swab. Any other way and you can flood the swab and that then really soaks the sensor and harder to wipe clean or dry. Then I use a dry swap to clear if any smears that may be left.

i have done my camera many times in the past and well worth doing. You are not without a camera for a time and at least you know it has been done properly.

I do have a "loupe" as well which makes the job so much easier. "Oh the cost" I often read for people. compare it with sending away a few times and the cost is covered.

Absolutely no way would I let anyone, who might have had a bad hair day, dive into my cameras to poke about in them , they cost me a lot of money so on that basis alone i am going to be more careful than some stranger.

AS for a rocket blower? yes I have use in a hurry but my thoughts are that it stirs up more dust within the camera body so tend to avoid if possible

So many think only professionals can clean a sensor, yet if they only realise how easy it is they would save a bundle. The only caveat is not to rush it and work in a clean area away from say carpets etc that may stir up dust

Cling film on work top!

You first problem is that rocket blower causing the trouble,I have had the same problem. A rocket blower as I mentioned in my post above not only blows dust of the sensor but also within the camera body. So you clean the sensor, check it that its clean,then put on the lens to use the camera. Not only the fact the camera is now in motion but also and dust on the shutter mechanism can land dust on the sensor and you back to square one. All i can suggest is using a very low power vacuum somehow you clear out . Just looked at keyboard vacuum cleaners might be where to start I, just an idea

Last edited:
Cling film on work top!

I tend to use the kitchen work top as it is a clean environment, no carpets or anything wolley lying about. The photo is only to show what I use.
Cling film erm no, I would worry about the adhesion of the material itself attracting dust particles and from that onto the swab. but again just my immediate thought

Last edited:
You first problem is that rocket blower causing the trouble,I have had the same problem. A rocket blow as I mentioned in my post above not only blows dust of the sensor but also within the camera body. So you clean the sensor, check it that its clean,then put on the lens to use the camera. Not only the fact the camera is now in motion but also and dust on the shutter mechanism can land dust on the sensor and you back to square one. All i can suggest is using a very low power vacuum somehow you clear out . Just looked at keyboard vacuum cleaners might be where to start I, just an idea
I’m not sure I like the idea of using a vacuum cleaner inside the camera tbh. I understand it’s a pretty futile task trying to remove all dust from inside the camera body, would just be nice if it stayed clean for at least a day ;)

I tend to use the kitchen work top as it is a clean environment, no carpets or anything wolley lying about. The photo is only to show what I use.
Cling film erm no, I would worry about the adhesion of the material itself attracting dust particles and from that onto the swab. but again just my immediate thought

Cling film on work top = instant sterile surface.

And better cling film getting all the dust off the air than it floating and hitting the camera too.

You can wipe as much as you like, it will not be as clean as cling film.

I’m not sure I like the idea of using a vacuum cleaner inside the camera tbh. I understand it’s a pretty futile task trying to remove all dust from inside the camera body, would just be nice if it stayed clean for at least a day ;)

fully agree a small vacuum bit of kit was just a passing thought,. if using a rocket blower "grrr" a big mistake it holding the camera the wrong way up, it should be facing down so any loose dust falls out. or that is the theoryh anyway

Cling film on work top = instant sterile surface.

And better cling film getting all the dust off the air than it floating and hitting the camera too.

You can wipe as much as you like, it will not be as clean as cling film.

If that works for you fine, everyone has their own methods as seen on youtube. I don't think "er indoors" would be too keen on me using up her cling film

Of course one answer is not to change lenses in adverse conditions. Something I have done and regretted dust wise

Last edited:
If that works for you fine, everyone has their own methods as seen on youtube. I don't think "er indoors" would be too keen on me using up her cling film

Of course one answer is not to change lenses in adverse conditions. Something I have done and regretted dust wise

It's not about what works, it's just about what is logical and easiest to get the cleanest working environment.

And worrying about a £2 clingfilm when you are holding on a £2,000 camera or something? I am sure you can stretch your budget and get a roll of clingfilm your own if your other half is so precious about 1m of clingfilm in a 40m roll ! lol :p

Of all the reasons not to use it ! You are just making excuses and arguing for the sake of it now instead of just accept that clingfilm makes sense, you know it.

And yes, I try not to change lenses in dusty environments, especially at the moment outside when it is high pollen in the air. Never do it on the beach etc, just step inside a building to do it, you can get round it by shooting multiple bodies.

Last edited:
The trouble with cling film is the enormous static charge it creates.
If it creates static on the camera too, then it will attract dust.
Another potential pitfall may be grounding that charge to the cameras electronics.

The trouble with cling film is the enormous static charge it creates.
If it creates static on the camera too, then it will attract dust.
Another potential pitfall may be grounding that charge to the cameras electronics.

Except a camera body is basically a faraday cage. If you are so worried about static then ground it to your plumbing or something.

All things being equal, it will be the cleanest working surface you can get at home.

Last edited:
fully agree a small vacuum bit of kit was just a passing thought,. if using a rocket blower "grrr" a big mistake it holding the camera the wrong way up, it should be facing down so any loose dust falls out. or that is the theoryh anyway
I always have the camera opening point to the ground and blow the rocket blower up into it ;)

I always have the camera opening point to the ground and blow the rocket blower up into it ;)
I do pretty much the same with the camera tripod mounted.
It does make wet cleaning a bit awkward though.

Rocket blower.
Arctic butterfly.
Swab using Eclipse fluid. One drop direct from bottle on to swab.

Above actions in that order.

No cling film, no surgical mask. No fuss.

Works every time.

Once, or twice a year.

I have numerous sensor cleaning items as already mentioned, swabs and fluid do the business when all others fail.

Sensorklear Pen works quite well for dust, but this time of year sticky pollen is the real enemy.

Also got one of those mini vacuum things that works off an air duster aerosol, must try it one day.

I have numerous sensor cleaning items as already mentioned, swabs and fluid do the business when all others fail.

Sensorklear Pen works quite well for dust, but this time of year sticky pollen is the real enemy.

Also got one of those mini vacuum things that works off an air duster aerosol, must try it one day.
My first attempt at wet cleaning was a disaster, shoved all the dirt to one side.
Second go I got most of it only to stick a large fibre on the sensor.
Third go I used too much fluid and blew on the sensor to dry it leaving a tiny spot of saliva on it.
I was in panic mode by attempt four as I only had five swabs to start with.

Blower then Sensorklear pen with a loupe for me. I do have Eclipse solution and swabs for wet cleaning, but I find I have rarely had the need to. Used on Sony Nex-6, Nikon D300, D800 and D3 along with a Canon 30D that had a pretty grubby sensor when I first got. I also have an Arctic Butterfly gathering some dust of its own in a box somewhere as I wasn't greatly impressed with it.

Some great advice, will have a look at a decent kit to keep at home, wet and dry.
It is now in the shop having a pro clean, so should be nice and clean tomorrow when I pick my baby back up.

Blower then Sensorklear pen with a loupe for me. I do have Eclipse solution and swabs for wet cleaning, but I find I have rarely had the need to. Used on Sony Nex-6, Nikon D300, D800 and D3 along with a Canon 30D that had a pretty grubby sensor when I first got. I also have an Arctic Butterfly gathering some dust of its own in a box somewhere as I wasn't greatly impressed with it.
I'll confess I did not want to do a wet clean but being the owner of a 1dx2, it splatted oil on the sensor surface and dry wiping just smeared it.

Usually loupe to see the sensor clearly and rocket blower with the camera body held upside down is sufficient for me. Wet clean approx once every two months.

Every time I’ve wet cleaned I have had to use two swabs, the first one never seems to work properly. So a pack of ten swabs does 5 cleans.

Why on earth would you clean the sensor periodically rather than when it needs it? I've never once cleaned a sensor on any of my cameras and have never had a problem with dust bunnies showing in my photos.

Just picked my camera up and the sensor is now pristine again, I actually asked if it should be cleaned routinely and they said a definite no as you risk scratching when theres no need, only have it cleaned when the dust refuses to move with a blower or something that wont scratch like an arctic butterfly.

Usually loupe to see the sensor clearly and rocket blower with the camera body held upside down is sufficient for me. Wet clean approx once every two months.

Only clean when needed - in my case for whatever reason need a wet clean approx every two months. Camera bodies 1DXM2 and 5DM4.

Bought some of these Snerkler got from Amazon, used 2, 4 mins later, gone from this to this, quite happy with 3 small specks!

I used to use sensor pens, and they worked pretty good with aps c cameras, full frame not so good.

I've used the same sensor cleaning kit but for crop, was also quite pleased with results.

I've never used a sensor pen, any risk of scratching the sensor with this, or am I just being paranoid?

Might have to pick one up if there is any advantage over doing the wet swab

does anyone have any decent step by step guides to cleaning? I've always either taken to a shop to clean or just done the good old rocket blower inside... is it easy enough to do myself or should I continue to take the the shop?

does anyone have any decent step by step guides to cleaning? I've always either taken to a shop to clean or just done the good old rocket blower inside... is it easy enough to do myself or should I continue to take the the shop?

I am about to try the swabs in the next few days and I found this video on youtube that seems quite good guide (for my sony camera):

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS1t7JcAt9w

Back