Sensor cleaning on 1D MK III

Edit My Images
No
Although the title is sensor cleaning, in reality trying to clean the low pass filter in front of it.

I have a 1D MK III, and normally I'll send it away once a year for a sensor clean, which I've done about a month ago. However during a shoot I have managed to get some stubborn bits of dust that my rocket blower can't shift.

Do I:

A. Send it back to Canon for another sensor clean
B. Have a go myself

If answer B, then what do people recommend and how easy is it?

It's a cinch. I did my 5D this evening in fact. I did my 1D MkII N last year.

I bought a bundle of 100 Pec Pad wipes and a bottle of Eclipse cleaning fluid from eBay for just over £20.

Then a pack of glue spreaders from Hobbycraft and trimmed off the disc of plastic from the shaft to help see what I'm doing in the camera.

ancillary_glue_spreader_large.jpg

Then I followed the instructions on this site to make my own swab and clean the sensor.

Obviously, you're doing this at your own risk and I experimented first on a much cheaper body like a 350D before attempting it on my 1D. My own personal suggestion if you do choose to proceed, is use one of the less dusty rooms in the house such as bathroom.

Sensor swabs and eclipse fluid. Very simple two minute job - so long as you take reasonable care..

I just use the round pad of a lenspen to gently (but firmly if you see what I mean) scrub the sensor (or the glass in front of it). I do it about once a month, or when I get sick of cloning out the dots. I was quite scared to start with, but now I find it a 2 minute job. I just go back and forth a few times. Seems to work. I have an old 1dmk2 btw. I have never seen the need to use fluid or anything like that, and indeed my lenspen is about 12 years old!

I use a Pec Pad wrapped around a slice cut from an old credit card and add a drop or two of Eclipse fluid.

I never thought of using a glue spreader, good idea.

Back