Sensor cleaning....phew!!

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Just a little note for the sensor cleaning virgins around here.
I just did mine using the eclipse fluid and swab method. it took me 5 minutes and all is clean. i mention this because as a newbie and after reading some of the excellent advice on here, i had been a little daunted with the prospect, imagining all sorts of scary scenarios.
go for it, its not as hard as it first appears (y)

just one bit of advice.... when doing it take your time, when you rush things accidents can and will soemtimes happen.

I've done a lot of research on this subject, and have tried every method of cleaning other than the latest 'sticky pad' type, where you put something similar to sellotape on the sensor. Doing that really does scare me though! The best method I have found so far is the one using Eclipse fluid and pecpads. I would say I'm quite confident doing that now, yet I STILL cannot get a clean sensor out of it. I've done it dozens of times and I cannot see what I could possibly be doing wrong, yet when I take a test shot at a high f number the amount of dust left on the sensor almost makes me want to chuck the camera across the room! It's the most irritating thing. In fact it is one of the reasons that I put my camera away in the cupboard for many months.

I really don't want to take the camera in to a shop to be cleaned, because they'll only do the same as I do, and being an ex Engineer it's not as if I'm not capable of doing a relatively basic thing. I was scared stiff at first because I didn't want to knock the mirror, and touching the sensor with anything is scary stuff on an expensive camera (Nikon D70s). Once I got over that though, the actual cleaning is very basic.

I'm not even asking advice here because all anyone could tell me is to do exactly what I'm doing - I would imagine anyway? I've tried using the "per-made" pecpads on a stick, and also the other more expensive make (can't think of the name) that doesn't use pecpads but something else. The result is just the same though. I do it away from any wind (in a room with no windows open), I get myself prepared first, I put 2 drops of Eclipse on the pecpad, wipe it across the sensor then turn it around and wipe it back the other way. I make sure I get as close to the edges as possible. I then do it all again with a new, clean pecpad. I test it and - It might be a little cleaner, but it's still covered in dust particles.

Since I first noticed this problem I have steered clear of taking shots with a large DoF, as I know I'll see countless amounts of dust on the photo. So it really is causing me a problem and limiting the shots I'm prepared to take. In fact if I'm ever able to afford a new camera, the FIRST feature I'll take into account is whatever new technology is around at the same to keep the sensor clean.

Ok sorry to go on. I don't know what anyone can do to help really. Anyone having the same problem maybe? Is there somehow something I'm missing? Maybe I could use a proper clean room so that I'm away from natural dust particles floating around in the air, but where would I find such a place? I'm sure others don't resort to that anyway. :) I do keep the camera tilted downwards as much as I can, to help prevent dust getting into the camera.

Geoff.

I've had my 30D for just over two years and my 40D for a year. I do use the Rocket Blower on occasion and that has really been more than enough to see me through. So far I have only had to wet clean my 30D once, and my 40D never. I read all the advice and cautions beforehand and ended up using PecPads and Eclipse. I did the very careful one pass in one direction, and then reverse, using opposite sides of the pad for each sweep. The sensor was far from filthy to begin with but that two pass effort did not get it spotless.

I know the advice given is to use a fresh pad for every pair of cleaning sweeps, so you never ever use the same part of a PecPad twice, but I just figure that was a bit ridiculous. I took a calculated gamble and applied one more drop of Eclipse to the same PecPad, allowed it to soak and evaporate a little, and then gave the sensor a more robust wiping all over, in any old direction, much as you would rub at a smudge on any piece of glass. Maybe I was stupid. Maybe I calculated my risks wisely. Maybe I was just lucky. Either way, all the smudges vanished completely and there is no harm whatsoever to the sensor. I've shot hundreds if not thousands of frames since and everything is tickety-boo.

I can't recommend my approach, because if you do have a piece of grit buried in there you could well detroy your sensor by grinding it into the filter. Like I said. I figured I was grit free due to the general lack of muck and my upside down Rocket blowing over the months. Others may not be so fortunate.

Nice one Dave. I had a number of specks from time to time, most of them would be cleaned with the sensor self clean on the 450d, or if that didn't work a rocket blower. I did some tests with using the camera in prime focus on my scope in the garden and the sensor got some sticky dust on it and the above just wouldn't work. After much head scratching I found a kit with eclipse and the pads etc needed, ordered it, and had it sorted in 5 minutes too.

That's just for cleaning the viewfinder Dave, whereas I know it's my sensor that is the problem.

tdodd and John - Hmmm...How frustrating this all is. I honestly don't know what to do. You've both obviously not had any problems, and neither do other people. I don't know what on Earth it is about my sensor that will not get clean.

Zedbra, As well as being a bit wanton in my rubbing I was also quite firm. The sensor is covered by a glass filter, which should be..... as hard as glass! Thus, so long as the filter is absolutely free of grit, and ditto for your cleaning materials, you do not have to pussy-foot around too much when wiping the sensor/filter. Firm pressure is fine, and multiple passes should ultimately get rid of even stubborn stains. Like I said, my second attempt was more just rubbing the filter generally - up/down/left/right/round and round - rather than precise calculated passes and that worked perfectly for me. If I'd merely brushed the sensor/filter lightly, with a new PecPad each time, I'd probably have ended up using half a dozen pads.

The other thing to watch out for is that you are very careful when inserting the PecPad into the cavity. I've heard stories of bits of grease/lubricant and crap from moving parts inside the camera potentially transferring themselves to the PecPad on its way in. If that's the case you're really on a hiding to nothing trying to clean the sensor with a dirty PecPad.

I don't know whether Nikon is worse than Canon in this regard but my brother in law mucked up his D3 sensor big time with an Arctic Butterfly, because, he believes, there was lubricant and other crap in the camera that got picked up and wiped all over the sensor. No long term damage was done but it was just a nightmare trying to get the thing clean again.

Geoff, I'm no expert by a very very long way, I've had a dSLR only since June. However, according to this table you need to use Eclipse 2 (a little more info here), which is the same stuff I used. Might be worth calling them up and see what they say. HTH.

I had to have 2 goes, and was much firmer, although only the 2 passes one in each direction on the second go.

Tdodd - Yes I did read a while ago that the sensor is covered by glass, and that did make me feel less concerned about damaging anything. I do usually press fairly hard, but obviously it isn't enough. I actually need to buy some more Eclipse as my old bottle seems to have evaporated even with the top screwed firmly on (!), so when I've got some I'll do as you suggest and really give it a hammering. Well not quite, but you know what I mean. I think I'll use one pecpad to really have a good hard go at it and then maybe another to clean it more 'sensibly'. Then I'll check the results and see how they look. One thing with the Eclipse which wasn't public knowledge before was that my camera (Nikon D70s) needs the other type, so as not to risk damage. I don't suppose that could really affect the cleaning though.

Thank you for the tips mate.

Geoff, I'm no expert by a very very long way, I've had a dSLR only since June. However, according to this table you need to use Eclipse 2 (a little more info here), which is the same stuff I used. Might be worth calling them up and see what they say. HTH.

I had to have 2 goes, and was much firmer, although only the 2 passes one in each direction on the second go.

Thank you John. Yes I just mentioned that in my last reply to tdodd. :) It's something that didn't seem to be public knowledge when I bought my last bottle, but from more recent research I was aware that when I bought some more it had to be Eclipse 2. :)

Cheers,
Geoff.

I'm not looking forward to doing mine for the first time. I guess everyone's nervous the first time they clean their sensor but from what I've read it's not actually too bad.

I'm not looking forward to doing mine for the first time. I guess everyone's nervous the first time they clean their sensor but from what I've read it's not actually too bad.

I worked myself up into a real nervous state when I first did it. It really is nothing though (if you forget the fact that mine never seems to get clean!). :LOL: I recommend you secure the camera first, so it gives you one less thing to drop. Then once you've fixed the mirror up just get on with it without thinking too much. The actual process is ridiculously simple - The problem is that you're dealing with something that, if you damage it, could cost the price of the camera to repair. So that is what will make you nervous. Just avoid hitting the mirror and ensure you have a fully charged battery so the mirror doesn't drop, and there's no reason for it to go wrong. Good luck. :)

Ok, it's a few days later now folks and I have purchased some Eclipse E2. I hope it doesn't 'disappear' from the bottle like my old Eclipse somehow did! :) Below is how my sensor currently looks, and I'm just charging up my nearly flat battery before giving cleaning a go. I'll post the results after giving it a scrub with one pecpad and then an 'as recommended' sensible clean with another. I may not do it today though, because to be honest I'm scared stiff of the result being the same as I've seen many previous times.

One thing before I go - I can see from this photo that there are 2 straight lines of dust, in the middle and to the left. Hmmm...I wonder how it accumulated like that? Any ideas anyone please? It couldn't be due to where I stopped the cleaning swab during previous cleans, because I've always been sure to go right from one end to the other.

2850112217_ac49023b51_o.jpg

It actually looks a bit like an "S" pattern (or "N") as though someone squirted some compressed air from a can and ran it quickly over the surface, zig-zag fashion, leaving a trail of accelerent or other crap behind.

It actually looks a bit like an "S" pattern (or "N") as though someone squirted some compressed air from a can and ran it quickly over the surface, zig-zag fashion, leaving a trail of accelerent or other crap behind.

I wondered what those thugs were doing in my room the other night. :bonk:

Yippee!!! :clap: :D :woot:

What I meant to say, is that I've managed to clean it with good results for a change!

After the first clean (which was using one cleaning thing to give it a good scrub, then another to clean it in the recommended way...
2850361383_befc6a5196_o.jpg

After the second proper clean...
2850361461_ac482d4ce3_o.jpg

All that's left are those spots on the very bottom right, which I won't worry about. All I did differently from before when it's never worked, was that I used Eclipse E2 instead of 'normal' Eclipse, and I did it in the bathroom rather than a bedroom (to keep the dust down).

Thanks for the help I've had here with this. :)

That's certainly sorted that out nicely Geoff. Excellent results (y)

I've found this very helpful, lads. I still hope I never have to do it !!

Darn it! Just done a test and there are two spots of dust ! Going to ignore them !

Stubborn dust spots that need scrubbing are probably pollen which is sticky. Dust like spots from the cleaning process are from having the swab too wet. E2 particularly evaporates very slowly so 1 drop is enough for a swab and it needs to soak for 5 or 10 seconds before use. Wet fluid drying on the sensor leaves marks that look like dust spots. using 5 or more swabs before getting it properly clean is not unusual.

I don't clean very often. The odd spot of dust in between cleans usually goes with a blast from the rocket blower.

Apparently the dust becomes fused to the sensor if your camera gets even slight condensation. As the condensation dries up it 'welds' the dust to the sensor and causes hard to remove spots.

Back