Sensor Cleaning Virgin

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
I was out over the Moors at Bowland a couple of months ago shooting some landcapes, it was a shocker of day - quite stormy but the light and clouds were pretty spectacular. I took the XT-3 which I love using to shoot landscapes but I changed lenses few times during the day and noticed a few small marks on the images when I was procesing them at home later. I never used it again until a trip to Skye a couple of weeks later and after about 4 days shooting there - again in atrocious weather - I was mooching through the shots I'd got and noticed there were a few more marks on the images. The kitchen had a white wall so I took some shots of that and the results were a bit of a shocker! It wasn't just one or two marks, there were also several largish splodges as well.

When we got home I contacted a few sensor cleaning services within striking distance of here by e.mail, of which only one replied (I'm as deaf as a post so never use phones). They wanted £65 to do the Fuji which I though was bit steep so I started researching doing the job myself - I mean, how hard can it be? After reading a few "How to" articles on t'interweb I decided it was doable and ended up on Amazon to buy a kit, but chose one with over a thousand reviews of which 4 & 5 stars made up a 92% satsifaction rating, which I thought wasn't too bad.

The kit arrived this morning so after lunch I settled into my mancave to set to work, but beforehand the place was hoovered out from top to bottom (actually it was "Henried" but that's just being pedantic) and the Guinnesshound, who's usually lay at the side of me, was banished to another room. I left Henry running with his nozzle on my desk to suck up any bits of dust that were floating about after a good blow out with the Rocket blower was done and then got to work with the swabs. It took 3 goes to shift all the crud from the sensor but it must be said the cleaning kit did great job and it left no residue at all. Taking a shot of one of my PC monitors with a white screen set up afterwards followed by one of outside from the back of the house, the Fuji sensor is now looking 100% clear so I'm well chuffed with that and I'm not scared of doing it again now if the need arises. I've never had to clean the sensor on any of my Canons but they have a mirror in front of the sensor which obviously offers some protection..

Nice one.

It is a daunting thing to do the first time but I think the thought of cleaning it is worse than actually doing it! If you've a bi of knowledge & have watched a few videos etc I think you'd be hard pushed to actually damage something.

Last time I cleaned mine I just sat on the bedroom floor with a table light :ROFLMAO:

Well done. It's such a simple thing to do yourself - I can't understand why anyone would pay someone to do such an easy thing. :facepalm:

I was a TV & Video engineer in the eighties and most of my income was from cleaning the video heads in people's VCRs. Again, a very simple thing to do - although it did take a bit of practice which meant heavy-handed beginners ended up having to replace them. :oops: :$

Kitchens and bathrooms are good places to do it, or outside if weather is fine.
To be honest vacuuming beforehand you probably stirred up more dust
My thought too and sucking air from near it will bring more in. However it was successful so … :).

Kitchens and bathrooms are good places to do it, or outside if weather is fine.
To be honest vacuuming beforehand you probably stirred up more dust
That was a consideration and for that reason the actual cylinder stayed outside my room and only the hose came in. My photo room never gets that dusty anyway really, it gets vacuumed every other day and it's got wooden flooring - no carpets to trap dust. I keep the dust down because all my camera gear lives in here along with the P.C tower. And as pointed out, the sensor clean was very successful so ............ ;)

A word of caution for mirrorless users doing this on cameras with IBIS - not all cameras secure the sensor into a park position when you power it off. Pressing on the sensor if its not secured can potentially damage the IBIS mechanism.

On the whole, though, I agree this is a relatively simple thing to do and I wouldn't pay someone else to do it for me.

A word of caution for mirrorless users doing this on cameras with IBIS - not all cameras secure the sensor into a park position when you power it off. Pressing on the sensor if its not secured can potentially damage the IBIS mechanism.

On the whole, though, I agree this is a relatively simple thing to do and I wouldn't pay someone else to do it for me.
To be fair that's not something I'd have thought of, but seeing as I'm considering swapping the XT-3 for an XT-4 it's certainly something to be aware of - thanks!

Nigel Danson has a good video on You Tube about how to clean a sensor. Definitely worth a watch through for a first time.

I was out over the Moors at Bowland a couple of months ago shooting some landcapes, it was a shocker of day - quite stormy but the light and clouds were pretty spectacular. I took the XT-3 which I love using to shoot landscapes but I changed lenses few times during the day and noticed a few small marks on the images when I was procesing them at home later. I never used it again until a trip to Skye a couple of weeks later and after about 4 days shooting there - again in atrocious weather - I was mooching through the shots I'd got and noticed there were a few more marks on the images. The kitchen had a white wall so I took some shots of that and the results were a bit of a shocker! It wasn't just one or two marks, there were also several largish splodges as well.

When we got home I contacted a few sensor cleaning services within striking distance of here by e.mail, of which only one replied (I'm as deaf as a post so never use phones). They wanted £65 to do the Fuji which I though was bit steep so I started researching doing the job myself - I mean, how hard can it be? After reading a few "How to" articles on t'interweb I decided it was doable and ended up on Amazon to buy a kit, but chose one with over a thousand reviews of which 4 & 5 stars made up a 92% satsifaction rating, which I thought wasn't too bad.

The kit arrived this morning so after lunch I settled into my mancave to set to work, but beforehand the place was hoovered out from top to bottom (actually it was "Henried" but that's just being pedantic) and the Guinnesshound, who's usually lay at the side of me, was banished to another room. I left Henry running with his nozzle on my desk to suck up any bits of dust that were floating about after a good blow out with the Rocket blower was done and then got to work with the swabs. It took 3 goes to shift all the crud from the sensor but it must be said the cleaning kit did great job and it left no residue at all. Taking a shot of one of my PC monitors with a white screen set up afterwards followed by one of outside from the back of the house, the Fuji sensor is now looking 100% clear so I'm well chuffed with that and I'm not scared of doing it again now if the need arises. I've never had to clean the sensor on any of my Canons but they have a mirror in front of the sensor which obviously offers some protection..
Out of curiosity - which kit did you go for? I'm looking for a kit myself that has a liquid included but worried about choosing something that smears or damages my camera. I have a tiny residue stain on my sensor which I think may have been a tiny tiny drop of water and want to clean it off as it's visible on photos. Tried a dry clean, but it hasn't shifted it.

The mirrorless with I.b.i s cleaning has been confirmed by a Olympus rep to me this week,it should only be cleaned with the camera switched on to avoid damaging the i.b.i.s mechanism

The mirrorless with I.b.i s cleaning has been confirmed by a Olympus rep to me this week,it should only be cleaned with the camera switched on to avoid damaging the i.b.i.s mechanism
Similarly with Canon R5 & R6 there is a 'manual cleaning' option in the menu which should be activated to 'park' the delicate IBIS system

Out of curiosity - which kit did you go for? I'm looking for a kit myself that has a liquid included but worried about choosing something that smears or damages my camera. I have a tiny residue stain on my sensor which I think may have been a tiny tiny drop of water and want to clean it off as it's visible on photos. Tried a dry clean, but it hasn't shifted it.
Sorry for late reply, it's been a busy weekend. I got my sensor cleaning kit from Amazon - this is the one, it left no residue whatsoever https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01B0TX6UA/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Some handy Nikon Z based videos for anyone who has not yet considered a self clean. As has been said above, its a fear of the unknown. Once you have done it once, you will realise there is nothing to fear.

View: https://youtu.be/u6pdg5tDfQI

and the 2021 version

View: https://youtu.be/plEao0mSgZA

Nikon DSLR - APS-C

Last edited:
You think that’s hard , a couple of weeks ago I bought a spares or repairs spotting scope eyepiece for under £20 valued at £240 + according to the makers ,. It was full of dust internally looks like previous owner had a go in a dusty environment ,tonight I got stuck into it very carefully , tiny little JAP grub screws , and internal screwed plates . Once stripped down it was a case of sticking in my super rocket blower and trying to dislodge the debris ,I’m glad to say it looks 95% better will test in daylight tomorrow if it is o.k ,then it’s another strip down to complete ,b.t.w I was quoted circa £100 for cleaning .. took me a nerve racking 20 minutes

I thoroughly cleaned my D500 sensor , but can still see spots. Any others places to clean
thanks

How did you clean it - that might be essential info if you want feedback.
I purchased a cleaning kit. Firstly I used the air blower, then the cleaning swabs. On the sensor I made 1 pass using the fluid, then another pass dry.

On the sensor I made 1 pass using the fluid, then another pass dry.

On stubborn or extra dirty sensors, you may need to do this several times. Just be sure to leave enough time between each application to allow any excess fluid to evaporate. The use of a magnifying glass or loupe will be a big help as well unless you have very good eyesight and good light.

Last edited:
Back