Sensor cleaning

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
I want to clean my 5D11 sensor. I'd buy Eclipse fluid ..from WEX..£12.99 but do I really have to pay £49.99 for just 12 sensor-cleaning pads ? Pec Pads are OK for the lens but not the sensor. I read a couple of articles that have given them a big 'No'. Seems nothing else will do though.

I have a blower and I have the 18mm sensor plastic swipe tool. However, I can get it done professionally in Bristol..a 40 minute straightforward drive via M5 and an A road for £30 plus VAT...so £36. I'm thinking that this is probably the best option .I only use the 5D11 for holidays and skies (here)so not that often. The shop at Bristol is called 'Black on White' a long-established, highly regarded one-man business and he's excellent. I've been a few times over the years. It's a two hour wait f(booked time) for a sensor clean. https://www.bonwcameras.co.uk/services.html

Have a look on Amazon. Full cleaning kits are much cheaper than Wex.

£36 plus the travelling costs and wasted time .... then think how many cleans a packet of wipes will last you ....

£36 plus the travelling costs and wasted time .... then think how many cleans a packet of wipes will last you ....
Yes the fuel at £20-30, maybe parking too.

I want to clean my 5D11 sensor. I'd buy Eclipse fluid ..from WEX..£12.99 but do I really have to pay £49.99 for just 12 sensor-cleaning pads ? Pec Pads are OK for the lens but not the sensor. I read a couple of articles that have given them a big 'No'. Seems nothing else will do though.

I have a blower and I have the 18mm sensor plastic swipe tool. However, I can get it done professionally in Bristol..a 40 minute straightforward drive via M5 and an A road for £30 plus VAT...so £36. I'm thinking that this is probably the best option .I only use the 5D11 for holidays and skies (here)so not that often. The shop at Bristol is called 'Black on White' a long-established, highly regarded one-man business and he's excellent. I've been a few times over the years. It's a two hour wait f(booked time) for a sensor clean. https://www.bonwcameras.co.uk/services.html
I like these ones used them many times with no issues.

IMG_9922.jpeg

I use Pec Pads wrapped around a slice cut from an old credit card and a drop of Eclipse fluid.. I've used this method since I had my Canon DSLR's.

I thought I read on the local photography FB page that they were shutting down/scaling down business.....? Might be worth a quick call before you waste a journey. Just in case......

I use these - they work for me without issue.
They came from Amazon.

Attachments

• UES.jpg
    UES.jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 4
Thanks for all the replies. It looks like I can do it myself at a reasonable price after all.

I've read that Pec Pads own Sensor Swabs and it was suggested that they would put out that Pec Pads weren't to be recommended because they'd rather sell a pack of sensor cleaners for £40 rather than Pec Pads for £14. On Amazon they sell "lint-free" Pec Pads,I see. That was supposed to be the problem with the regular ones..ie the lint.

Back