Sensor Dust?

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
No
Posted some pictures on another site and some one informs me I have sensor dust?

Can some one please tell me what this is and how I get rid of it? Camera is a Nikon D5000 not 3 months old, always with a lens attached. I don't see how any dust could of gotten inside.

Picture with problem

I did have a PL filter on which is grubby I guess. Could that be it?

Certainly sensor dust. Try a rocket blower first, if that doesnt work, try something like a lenspen sensorklear. If that doesnt work, get it cleaned or clesn it yourself with pecpads and eclipse fluid.

OK a rocket blower is a small blower shaped like a rocket http://www.jessops.com/online.store...eBase-_-Cleaning&Maintenance-_-all-_-all&ovc=

This will remove dry dust only.

You may need to do something called a Wet clean. Dont be put off by this, i was for years but last week i decided to take a chance and do it for myself. I bought a pack from Warehouse express for around £20. My sensor was a lot worse than yours and a lot older (Around 4-5 years). I have been taken photos of flowers so there is a good chance there was a lot of pollen on my sensor. The clean didnt get rid of every piece of pollen but 98% of it is gone. Result!

I got mine done at Jacobs. The guy there gave it a free blow clean and decided it needed a wet clean. They didn't have any kits in but ordered one for me. When they arrived I was straight back there and for the price of the kit £24 they cleaned it for me. It was more than just spots it turned out it was dirtier than first thought and got very smeary. Bad news all three swabs were used but every credit to the guy he persisted, with great care I must add, and the good news was he sorted it. Great service and a free demo of how to clean a sensor. Means I know what I'm doing next time round.

I've never used anything but a rocket blower and it's removed every spec so far. Dust gets in when you zoom the lens, which pumps air in and out.

It only shows up at high f/numbers though, when it's pulled into sharp focus.

I give mine a clean with sensor swabs when it gets dust. Its always going to happen at some point

I just cleaned mine last night with my trusty Arctic Butterfly for the umpteenth time. That's another £45 saved! ;)
Dead easy to do.

Yes, I've got one and believe it's very good - but I've never actually had to use it yet (got it free with a magazine subsciption :)).

Big advantage to me is it's dry so you can't make things worse.

Thanks guys. Just popped into a local camera shop and he was very helpful. He is going to have a look tomorrow for me :)

Any body like the picture? haha

It could also be oil/grease from the mirror box - pretty common with new cameras after a few hundred shots.

Thanks guys. Just popped into a local camera shop and he was very helpful. He is going to have a look tomorrow for me :)

Any body like the picture? haha

A very nice picture, but it appears to have been spoiled by dust on the sensor. ;)

The way to confirm it's on the sensor is point your camera at a plain background and take a shot with the aperture right down to f/22 or so.

It doesn't matter if your shutter speed is a second or more. In fact, it helps because camerashake will blur out any distinguishing features on your background.

Defo Sensor dust, as said. Its the most annoying thing ever. I just send my camera away to canon for a clean every once in a while. Not cheap mind.

So taken it to the camera shop and we both had a good look. No dust on the sensor. He even used a magnifying glass with a light source. Deffinatly nothing there.

So taken it to the camera shop and we both had a good look. No dust on the sensor. He even used a magnifying glass with a light source. Deffinatly nothing there.

I'd check again using the method I suggest in post #13 above. What you can or can't see on the sensor is irrelevant, it's what comes out on your pictures that matters.

My D700 sensor looked spotless through a loupe..
F/22 on a blue sky told a different story.. The was a whole city going on in there, especially in the corners. Got it cleaned properly and now bar the odd one or two spots its pretty good.

Look like dust to me. Just done both of my cameras with eclipse fluid & pec-pads.
You couldn't see it with the naked eye, but a shot of a White wall at f22 showed all sorts of trouble.

Very nice picture by the way :)

via TP Forums for iPhone

What's the point of using a sensor loupe? They are not 100% reliable whereas an actual image of a plain wall or something at f/22 is.

It's also possible that when the shop looked for dust, it had gone. Just shoot a test pic at highest f/number and remember that the image on the sensor is inverted, so what appears at the top of pictures is at the bottom of the camera.

To be honest those spots look like shutter lubricant splashes to me. It's no biggie, you just need to have the sensor wet cleaned.

It's a fact of life with DSLRs. I've got an old D40x that's never had the sensor cleaned and it's got dust bunnies and splashes everywhere. It doesn't really bother me as they only start to show up after f/8, they're easy to clone out, and they can give the photos a less than perfect look which is sometimes quite refreshing in this hyper clean digital age.

Back