Sensor spec on old D70, not shifting

Name
Tim
Edit My Images
Yes
I've had dust specs on the sensor often on my old Nikon D70, and I use Eclipse fluid with sensor cleaning tool and cloth things with no problem in the past. However I've got one now that's sizeable and so far no amount of cleaning is shifting it. I've tried pressing a little harder but no luck.

How much does it cost to get a pro clean these days?

Bearing in mind how old and low value the D70 is now. I'd buy a new camera as an upgrade and may do that at some point, though the D70 does a fine job for me anyway and more to the point it's something I use as a chuck about camera. It sometimes goes with me in my ski and bike (mtb) bag, and takes tumbles from time to time (padded bag). A nice shiny new expensive camera I'd be reluctant to use for that. Though I could do with something with a fast rapid shutter for action shots.

Is there a chance the sensor itself is just damaged? As I say it takes some knocking about, though it does just look like a sensor spec. Or maybe there's a better recommendation for DIY sensor cleaning for stubborn specs?

I can work around it in post process, but it's just an extra step to do. Some shots I can get away without noticing it.

You do know that it's not the actual sensor that you're working on but the low-pass filter in front of it?

It would have to be a big spot on the lens for it to be noticeable on a picture. Anything less than about f7 you shouldn't notice it even on the sensor (or the low pass filter).

A 'pro' job costs about £50 and isn't guaranteed to work any effectively than you doing it.

Shine a very bright light light and see if you can spot the spot!

Definitely the "sensor". Not only can I see it regardless of lens attached but I can also see the spot with the naked eye on the sensor, and yes I know it's really the low pass filter ;) . It's just easier in my mind to refer to it as the sensor :) (either way the problem is the same).

Could potentially be a scratch even, though the last clean I did before noticing it there was no spot as a result of the cleaning.

I'll give it some more goes at cleaning anyway. How much pressure can I make on the filter? I'm using the old Copperhill stuff I got from chili-pix years ago. Eclipse fluid, PecPads and the sensor swipe tool. Always done me fine for years, but this one is stubborn.

Last edited:
Back