Wild SEO's from today

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
All taken this afternoon and they have seen a minimum of PP. I'm almost elated with what's been acheived here today - mostly with the 7Dii and a 500F4 + 1.4x.

As always though, I'm very keen to hear how something could be improved.

12240837_1079539418732466_8088436306785375700_o.jpg

12304143_1079539512065790_483082358488378536_o.jpg

12304078_1079540065399068_1118867068946729666_o.jpg

12274287_1079539762065765_938170850677561534_n.jpg

Ha ha, now you are showing off John with your new found location. I'm only viewing these on the iPad but they look pretty good on there. Nice natural looking shots.

Absolutely love that last one...:love:

Awesome set.....im not a birder so I'll leave it that they are ace... Look very natural and some stunning light.

my comments John are that the shots are a base for good images, but the processing is not good at all ............. post one straight out of the camera so that a few can have a go

you have a unique colour style, as well as a crop style that is special to you

you have the potential to capture some good images from the situations you have posted recently ....... but IMHO they all have been let down by processing .....

maybe we are all guilty of our own processing style but I cannot figure out what you do to the OOC images?

hope this helps

Last edited:
post one straight out of the camera so that a few can have a go
Needless to say, I can't put the CR2 file up. Nor can I put up a massive jpeg. However, here is one of my favourites today with zero processing. If I were to critique it myself, I'd suggest that the focus isn't quite bang on the eye, but it's close enough after a wee sharpen. I've left it as large as I can so you can crop whichever way you please. Fell free to play and educate me - I've never claimed to be an expert. ;)

13769-1448401077-c78bcb5655ae41719afb8903f85300a8.jpg

Needless to say, I can't put the CR2 file up. Nor can I put up a massive jpeg. However, here is one of my favourites today with zero processing. If I were to critique it myself, I'd suggest that the focus isn't quite bang on the eye, but it's close enough after a wee sharpen. I've left it as large as I can so you can crop whichever way you please. Fell free to play and educate me - I've never claimed to be an expert. ;)

13769-1448401077-c78bcb5655ae41719afb8903f85300a8.jpg

That's better than the processed one above, in post #1 ..... I'll have a go later but I do not think that I can add much apart from sharpening etc., etc., and cleaning up the bg patch

are the birds really that yellow? ....... take a jpeg shot on auto WB and see what the colours are like as per the Canon sensor

but there seems to be a white halo under the bird from head to the foot area

Last edited:
are the birds really that yellow?
but there seems to be a white halo under the bird from head to the foot area
That's SOOC without any processing and it's also hosted on here rather than FaceBook. The 'white halo' is merely a feature of the background - nothing I can do about that.

Almost looks like they've been pasted onto a different background! Great shots, but I agree with Bill that the OOC image is better. I was also going to say about adding some space on the right but looking at the original, it seems you don't have that much to work with.

What's the general consensus on creating more background where there is none on the original? FOr example using the clone brush to add some more to the left hand side to make a more pleasing composition? Imo it's the same as cropping in (as long as you're only doing the bg), but can imagine not everbody would agree with that.

Almost looks like they've been pasted onto a different background! Great shots, but I agree with Bill that the OOC image is better. I was also going to say about adding some space on the right but looking at the original, it seems you don't have that much to work with.
The SOOC shot above was still cropped to allow Bill some half decent processing. THIS is SOOC uncropped. The pole in the distance is the cause for cropping, but I don't mind as I'd have cropped the same way regardless. The 'yellow' is due to low winter sunlight this afternoon. As for being pasted on......o_O

13770-1448405664-267c533ffac68e8be40c22f62ba45abf.jpg

;)

The SOOC shot above was still cropped to allow Bill some half decent processing. THIS is SOOC uncropped. The pole in the distance is the cause for cropping, but I don't mind as I'd have cropped the same way regardless. The 'yellow' is due to low winter sunlight this afternoon. As for being pasted on......o_O

13770-1448405664-267c533ffac68e8be40c22f62ba45abf.jpg

;)

Morning John,

Taking it in stages John the first pass I would make would be ... which are the first adjustments to the overall image

the cloning is not perfect but I always adjust a fuller image first just in case I need to change any initial crop ... you can do a little more detailed cloning later if needed

I am not a fan of (Canon) warm images anyway

I still think that there is more white in the bird even in that kind of sunlight .. so not sure what's going on with some of the colours

Owl_61.jpg

Last edited:
Oh dear........ :facepalm: Let's just agree to differ. (y)

Except when it comes to wine. :D

Lovely images! I agree on the processing (a little too sharp for my taste?) and also on the colours, but often the low sun at this time of year can affect that, coming through more atmosphere. But really nice images. Great to enjoy owls in the daylight - many thanks to SEOs :)

------------
Perhaps needless to say on this forum, but just a reminder for everyone to PLEASE ensure that the welfare of the animal is always first priority.

Recently in the Lothians there has been a LOT of trouble at a well known location for short-eared owls, with photographers rather than staying in the hides, actually going out into where all of the birds are feeding / roosting, to drive the owls airborne and take flight photos of them - this has been seen on a number of occasions such that the ranger is having to spend more time checking, as well as get more signs made (not sure what that will do, as no entry is already clear enough and the people know what they are doing).

Such a privilege to see short-eared owls, and a pity the pleasure can be spoiled by one or two who must have 'the shot'.

Perhaps needless to say on this forum, but just a reminder for everyone to PLEASE ensure that the welfare of the animal is always first priority.
I realise that wasn't directed at me, but just for comfort, these were taken from a covered pavillion near the 18th tee on a busy golf course!! I set myself up and waited for the owls to come to me, having previously done a recce and sussed out a potential tripod site. That said, the golfers have had the owls flying about their heads as they've been teeing off, so I don't think they are too concerned about humans - even ones waving sticks about at them!!;)

Great set of photo's John, really good work.

I suspect this image will go down well with the folks who are less keen on the close-ups:

12313916_1080410415312033_6970276182948355358_n.jpg

I realise that wasn't directed at me, but just for comfort, these were taken from a covered pavillion near the 18th tee on a busy golf course!! I set myself up and waited for the owls to come to me, having previously done a recce and sussed out a potential tripod site. That said, the golfers have had the owls flying about their heads as they've been teeing off, so I don't think they are too concerned about humans - even ones waving sticks about at them!!;)
Sounds an excellent location - golfers are very privileged - even if they don't appreciate that! :)

No, not directed at all directed at you as you said. Just that there's been a lot of bad feeling up here towards photographers due to disturbance of the short-eared owls (that was out at Musselburgh). We had the same up here very early in the year - a group of long-eared owls set up a roost, but they were scared off by photographers pushing closer and closer to get 'the shot'. As a photographer as well as a birdwatcher, it was good to be able to mention, so that we can be ambassadors for photography :)

I never tire of seeing these amazing creatures, one of my favourite birds.
You have a superb set of images John, absolutely great!

Back