Seperate Flashes

Edit My Images
No
I'm starting to do real estate photography, but i've noticed the windows over expose. So firstly, I read you can set the exposure settings for the windows, then use a fill flash for the room, is this a good idea?

Secondly, I know nothing about camera flahses. I've only noticed they're surprisingly expensive, but even more surprising is the price of the cable to attatch from the camera hot shoe to the flash. Can you reccomend a good seperate flash and cable that's good enough for proffesional real estate, but won't break the bank? Collectivley I don't really want to pay more than £100, but I noticed flashes alone tend to start here?

Thanks

I think you're going to have to up your sights m8. A Sigma 500DG Super from Onestop will cost £127 and add a stofen diffuser for about £17. Any particulat reason why you want to go off camera altogether? that set up on camera will give you ettl (or equivalent) metering and cut down shadows etc.

If you're starting to do real estate, you'll find some large interiors you'll have to tackle, so you'll want the most powerful flashgun you can get and in many cases, one may not be enough. Just be aware too that clients who regularly see real estate shots can be extremely fussy and demanding about the shots you provide, so don't expect to get away with too much.

Gandhi and Dazzajl are both members here who regularly do this sort of work, so hopefully they'll see this and be able to offer you invaluable advice. :)

The problem you mention in your opener is a well known problem in the shooting of movies,and is got round by the use of a material called "Scrim" which is a perforated pvc approx 200 microns thick which reduces the light by approx. 2 stops and due to the open area in the perforation, is not seen by the camera. However this is not an option for you as it is expensive, and generally only used once.
An alternative is to shoot early/late to avoud the brightest outdoor lighting.

Actually, I've just had another thought, with the Canon range, you can do night photography with the aperture set for a longish exposure to give the background correct exposure, and the flash set for the foreground. Is it possible in manual mode to set the camera for the window shot and flash for the interior? Might require some trial, on the other hand might be a daft idea!!

don't bother with the cable br brave, go manual, then by some chinese radio triggers.

go to strobist.com and search for the articels on interior lighting.

Back