September Snakes(wild UK adders).

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
No
Since I spent this summer chasing/photographing Butterflies, Ive kinda negelected observing my local Adder(Vipera Berus) population.
So last Sunday/Monday, i dropped into "Area 2" in order to see if any were about.

Note- since these snakes are venomous, caution should be adopted, I never handle them, i never "set them up" for that perfect shot. I take photos of them as i find them, in their natural habitat/surroundings. Hence 99% of my images, will often have vegetation/plants/twigs/branches in the shot.
But on occassion, i do get lucky, and find a snake out in the open, with none of the normal obstructions included in the image...its a rare finding though!

Some photos, cheers.

Female adult adder, showing a good healthy bodyweight.

16th-September-2013. Female Adder(adult). by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Another shot of the same snake, she is a stunner.

16th-September-2013. Female Adder(adult). by Testudo Man, on Flickr

This adder is either a neonate(newborn, 2013 snake) or at the most a juvenile(being born 2012). Whilst photographing a common lizard, this tiny snake came out of nowhere, within 3 feet/90cms of me....Here i caught a shot of it as it slithered between the rays of sunlight.

15th-September-2013. Juvenile/Neonate Adder. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

As i said earlier, on occassion you can get lucky, and i was very lucky to have this juvenile adder move onto this log, and start basking in the sunlight.

This last photo is not cropped at all.

15th-September-2013. Juvenile/Neonate Adder(uncropped). by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Not my favourite subject, but kudos for getting these great shots!

I think these are amazing shots! - #1 is an absolute cracker!

Smashing what luck to just be there.

Thanks for the comment.

Not my favourite subject, but kudos for getting these great shots!

Cheers for that...what...you mean you dont like snakes?!(y) they are one of my favourite subjects to photograph.

I think these are amazing shots! - #1 is an absolute cracker!

Thanks, she is a cracking snake...Ive observed her for several years now.

Fantastic shots, I have been looking for a venue to take photos of adders but no luck. Really jealous

Thanks a lot.
Its not the best time of the year to find/photograph adders right now, because within a month or so, they will be entering hibernation.
I find that Late February/March and April are the best times to sight adders. Those three months equals emerging from hibernation(males first, then within the month females should emerge) then if your lucky you might witness adder dance/combat/mating. Once the natural vegetation grows, then they can remain quite hidden at times, therefore harder to spot.

You could try contacting your local reptile associations (ARGUK) to see whats happening in your area...although most people are a bit on the secretive side, when it comes to Adder sites/locations.

That's as it should always be imo regardless of whether its going to bite , sting or peck you to death (y)
No set up shots.

And I still haven't seen one of these blighters in the flesh ....er...or scales :crying:

Nicely done !

John

Smashing set Paul, I've seen Adders on occasion near where I live, but as yet no pictures of them, they can move pretty quick when they want to as well :)

That's as it should always be imo regardless of whether its going to bite , sting or peck you to death (y)
No set up shots.

And I still haven't seen one of these blighters in the flesh ....er...or scales :crying:

Nicely done !

John

Cheers John, i hope you get to see these beautiful snakes soon enough.

Ive been visiting the same area recently, with excellent results.

Smashing set Paul, I've seen Adders on occasion near where I live, but as yet no pictures of them, they can move pretty quick when they want to as well :)

Thanks Ian, yes these snakes can be very quick!

Several more photos, cheers.

This photo is uncropped.

Another shot of that juvenile adder, this time taken from as low as i could possibly get the camera/myself!

15th-September-2013. Juvenile Adder (uncropped). by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Another shot that is also uncropped.

This pair of adders(female front, male out of focus, behind her) have spent the season very close to each other. Where you sight one basking, the other is always close by too.

26th-September-2013. Female and Male Adders basking together(uncropped). by Testudo Man, on Flickr

This last shot is quite rare for me, Ive probably took 1000's of adder photos, but i dont often capture one with its tongue out on show.
This male is a stunner.

26th-September-2013. Male Adder showing his tongue. by Testudo Man, on Flickr

Some great shots. Back 'home' in South Wales there's a place I used to go regularly to see them. Only ever seen one where I live now (for over 20 years) in North Wiltshire though I've been told of a place nearby where there's a population.

Back