Serious camera purchases

Name
Jay
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello,

I bought my first slr with great advice from you guys a year ago for my college course...

I got into university early, for next year, and now want to expand my arsenal with a new 35mm slr and a medium format slr.

I want the 35mm slr to have readily available prime lenses and of professional standard.

I want the medium format to be square format and I'm already loving the bronica SQ.

Another recent heart attack was the shock of photographic paper, where do you guys buy your paper from!?

Thanks, Take Care, Jason

People will likely list a ton of cameras for you here, since everybody has their own favourite and all. Nikon F-somethings are always fantastic, or if you're wanting more buttons you might look at the Canon EOS1. I don't know much about 120 SLRs, I prefer the TLRs myself, but it depends on what format you're wanting to use (645, 6x6, 6x7, 6x9). 6x6 and 645 backs are available for many 6x7 cameras, but they're often a lot heavier. I have a Pentax 67 myself, but I'm not sure it's a very popular camera. Expensive too! Mamiya RB/RZ 67s are good, but if you're only wanting 6x6 then the Bronica should do you just fine (y)

My first thought on the 35mm front was to get hold of a EOS3 or EOS1v body, and use the modern, currently available (as in brand-new, on the high street if you need them immediately because you've dropped your existing one 2 hours before shooting a wedding for instance) EF primes - they really work well with the brand new lenses. Of course, the same could be said of a Nikon F5 and the modern Nikon glass...

As to the MF, well - you'll not go far wrong with a SQa if you're set on 6x6...

Every major 35mm system will have readily available primes in common focal lengths and apertures - some systems will have slightly more choice, some slightly less, but all are relatively equal. "Professional standard" is an unnecessary concept to worry about - most of them will be superb performers, there's a reason why used prime glass is so well respected and still commands good prices.

Set on your medium format 6x6 being an SLR? A world of TLRs out there, although I appreciate they are very different beasts.

Aside from that, as Joe says, these threads turn into "I recommend this camera model" because it's their own personal favourite. So instead of that, maybe try honing down what sort of camera do you want?

Battery independent? Top shutter speed? What ISO range would you like? Heavy, solid and weighty - or light and almost invisible in the hand?

:plus1::agree:

Good advice, especially over 35mm, too many good ones to mention really.

Andy

Best Primes? Pentax or Minolta
Best compromise Primes? Olympus
Best compatibility? Canon/Nikon

Minolta primes are the rarest, followed by Pentax. Canon & Nikon aren't too bad, EF lenses obviously still being mnaufactured new. There's no shortage of old Nikon manual glass but it's painfully expensive. Olympus stuff is plentiful and reasonably priced in comparison to the others, with the exception of a few really sought after lenses, which are super expensive.

Great news.

Budget please.

Shout for the canon FD system? Loads of it around, and cheapish, lotsa primes

The problem (if it is a problem), is that every system fits the bill... because every system wanted TO fit the bill when they were released/designed, and marketed as such!

do you want your 35mm to be af or not?
what DSLR is it that you have?

no af i recommend an OM-1 due to the readily available, very affordable, good quality primes
with af, either an f90/f100 or an elan II depending on whether you prefer the feel of canon or nikon in your hands. The minoltas are great cameras to use, just glass isn't all that common and they're pig ugly.

MF, the bronica SQA is a charm to use. Would be my first choice of affordable MF camera.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it becomes a preference opinion debate.

I already own a Canon 60d but I rarely use it,

I want a solid camera and Af would be nice, the glass is most important for me, I want to be able to get a good selection of glassware for the camera at reasonable cost. Although price is conceptual as it'll all be payed for by student loan ;) ;).

I want it to be able to shoot low ISO, looking to be using Fp4 100 iso for my black and white work predominantly, colour is something I will be exploring more when I can afford to stray away from poundland.

I think I'll look at the canon system, see if the aesthetics look good.

Just selling my 1v on fleabay for £299 (its up there still if you quick) and if you want canon and auto focus with the EF lenses there is nothing better and never will be. Worth the investment IMHO, I just don't use it enough to warrant keeping it.

Thanks for all the advice, I appreciate it becomes a preference opinion debate.

I already own a Canon 60d but I rarely use it,

I want a solid camera and Af would be nice, the glass is most important for me, I want to be able to get a good selection of glassware for the camera at reasonable cost. Although price is conceptual as it'll all be payed for by student loan ;) ;).

I want it to be able to shoot low ISO, looking to be using Fp4 100 iso for my black and white work predominantly, colour is something I will be exploring more when I can afford to stray away from poundland.

I think I'll look at the canon system, see if the aesthetics look good.

As Freecom says, just about everything will fit the bill. Find something that has everything you're looking for (should be easy) and go for it. I'm not sure about Canon, but Nikon lenses are compatible with every Nikon camera, which is why I stick to them. I can use my film lenses on a digital camera. And if you want to use a Minolta or Pentax (or whatever) lens there are plenty of adapters available. I'd imagine almost every camera will go as low as 100iso, usually lower, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Film cameras are essentially just lightproof boxes, they won't make a difference to your picture. It's the film and the lens that matter (y)

Last edited:
bronica's are pretty cheap - as for paper and film I just buy from the cheapest place usually 7dayshop for film but it dependson what I buy. if its somthing fancy like adox 25 then you can only buy from certain retailers but for things like kodak 125 or ilford FP4 just shop around.

Hello,

I bought my first slr with great advice from you guys a year ago for my college course...

I got into university early, for next year, and now want to expand my arsenal with a new 35mm slr and a medium format slr.

I want the 35mm slr to have readily available prime lenses and of professional standard.

I want the medium format to be square format and I'm already loving the bronica SQ.

Another recent heart attack was the shock of photographic paper, where do you guys buy your paper from!?

Thanks, Take Care, Jason

Back