Service Nikon Lens

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
Yes
Im looking to get my Nikon 70-200 2.8 G VRii serviced. Ive looked at fixation but they say they don't have the parts for the lens anymore. Any ideas where I can get my lens serviced in the UK? Don't want to use Nikon as my money tree has wilted ;)

Im looking to get my Nikon 70-200 2.8 G VRii serviced. Ive looked at fixation but they say they don't have the parts for the lens anymore. Any ideas where I can get my lens serviced in the UK? Don't want to use Nikon as my money tree has wilted ;)
Not a Nikon user but if Fixation say 'no longer have the parts' unless Nikon have squirreled them away then just maybe the lens can no longer be repaired or serviced if no parts held anywhere???

I was going to suggest H Lehmann in Stoke on Trent, but they seem to have been put into liquidation :(

@Box Brownie makes a good point - the parts may simply not be available

Newton Ellis in Liverpool might be worth a try, although I discovered that they are closing for reasons of retirement in the 'second half of 2024'

Last edited:
Not a Nikon user but if Fixation say 'no longer have the parts' unless Nikon have squirreled them away then just maybe the lens can no longer be repaired or serviced if no parts held anywhere???
A few years ago Nikon decided to stop working with third party shops; they probably just ran out of parts inventory. The 70-200 VRII is still on Nikon's list of supported lenses.

A few years ago Nikon decided to stop working with third party shops; they probably just ran out of parts inventory. The 70-200 VRII is still on Nikon's list of supported lenses.

Fixation seem to have two versions listed on their repair form,

with slightly differently arranged names (the main difference being that the one with parts available is a 'Nikkor')

This is a bit confusing - maybe the OP overlooked the second option which might correspond with their lens?

p.s. I also am not and never have been a Nikon user so I have no idea if this is a genuinely different lens or some peculiarity in their DB

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 16.24.19.png
    Screenshot 2024-04-12 at 16.24.19.png
    187.7 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
This is a bit confusing
It is to me as well... because there is no difference between those two entries; they refer to the same model lens.

They also list the 80-200 as being serviceable, but Nikon doesn't... kind of goes with my idea of "remaining parts inventory."

A few years ago Nikon decided to stop working with third party shops; they probably just ran out of parts inventory.

Not the case in the UK. Fixation is still an authorised repair centre. As is AJ Johnstone in Glasgow.

If the lens is listed as 'out of service' then you won't get an authorised repairer to touch it. And Nikon will have scrapped all the spares (previously they used to sell the UK stock to H Lehmann).

Thomas Camera Repair in Tunbridge Wells have built up a decent reputation as an out of service repair shop:

Not the case in the UK. Fixation is still an authorised repair centre. As is AJ Johnstone in Glasgow.
We still have several "authorized" repair shops; they still have their specialized equipment and trained service personnel. But they aren't getting parts or training anymore, and Nikon isn't referring any repairs to them. It seems Nikon cut off any further involvement, but didn't revoke anything that already existed or buy back parts inventory.

It appears to be the same in the UK. You used to be able to look up the authorized repair shops on Nikon's websites, and whether your particular repair needed to go to Nikon or not; that's no longer available.

It appears to be the same in the UK. You used to be able to look up the authorized repair shops on Nikon's websites, and whether your particular repair needed to go to Nikon or not; that's no longer available.

I think that you need to take another look at the website. The UK one.

Back