Servicing and repairs

Another vote for Miles. He resurrected a Mamiya Sekor 127mm that had fungus on the inner element. Came back like new for £65.00 plus post.

I have also used Newton Ellis in Liverpool. They are a lot slower than Miles and more expensive. However could not fault their work.

That is very bad news indeed....:puke:

I've heard that Miles is retiring shortly and is no longer taking on new work (although it doesn't say anything about it on his website).

:) for Miles' retirement.

:( for our cameras.

Arghhhh Noooooo it just can’t happen........Miles come back, PLEASE come back, WE NEED YOU!!!

I’m sure I can speak on behalf of other togs here that we wish you a very happy retirement ( tinkering thé hours away with our cameras and lenses in you man shed [emoji6][emoji23][emoji23])

I've heard that Miles is retiring shortly and is no longer taking on new work (although it doesn't say anything about it on his website).

I feel rather lucky then, Miles has serviced my TLR and is shipping back tomorrow. £65, bargain.

Last edited:

Strange as a place I was going to send a camera to gave a date when after they weren't going to take any more work..

Well as mentioned in another thread my RB67 180mm lens probably has some gone off lubricant or needs oiling as the shutter fires (after pressing button) from about 11 sec to 20 sec depending on the temperature. Anyway contacted Miles and to fix would be £75 plus postage both ways..erm last year it was £60 and should have sent it then :rolleyes:
The lens would be useless for portraiture but static shots (e.g. scenery) is still useable..well if I remember to count to 20 secs before moving the camera ;)

Like a lot of folk on here, I use and highly recommend Miles.
Ironically, purely by chance , I’ve found, on the internet, someone more local.
No idea of prices or workmanship etc but he offers a global service, so like I send gear from the continent to the uk for repairs, there’s little reason not to consider sending out if repair engineers are becoming increasingly rare.

Here’s the website

www.mondepanneur.fr

Different language can be selected .
I noticed that some words don’t translate correctly such as ‘room’ which relates to chambre ( a chambre in photography terms is basically a LF bellows camera)

Additional translation help available from me should you require it .....
for a fee of course :exit:

I noticed that some words don’t translate correctly such as ‘room’ which relates to chambre ( a chambre in photography terms is basically a LF bellows camera)

Some amusing translations into English :D You could offer to translate properly for a nice fee ;)

Hey Asha you might be onto a winner as it's local as he says:-
"Second, the lure of profit is not in my nature! Those who know me know that I am not looking for profitability. So my services are not expensive"

Hey Asha you might be onto a winner as it's local as he says:-
"Second, the lure of profit is not in my nature! Those who know me know that I am not looking for profitability. So my services are not expensive"

Perhaps although the French idea of 'not expensive' is generally a long way from what most Brits would consider reasonable or cheap.

A lot will depend where he is based ( i haven't yet checked).
If Paris or down this end ( depts 06/ 83) , his fees will not be cheap.

The fact of not having to send to the UK will be an advantage especially after december as how duty funtions for sending items for repair or to loan / borrow and then return, I have no idea. I
I suspect it will be another good excuse for govt to make money.

The fact of not having to send to the UK will be an advantage especially after december as how duty funtions for sending items for repair or to loan / borrow and then return, I have no idea. I
I suspect it will be another good excuse for govt to make money.

I expect we'll soon be at war with France once we've sunk a couple of their trawlers for trying to fish illegally in our territorial waters once the Brexit talks finally break down. It's being so cheerful that keeps me going! ;)

I expect we'll soon be at war with France once we've sunk a couple of their trawlers for trying to fish illegally in our territorial waters once the Brexit talks finally break down. It's being so cheerful that keeps me going! ;)

At least cutting you off keeps them darned crazy cows that you have from threatening our frogs and snails :p :LOL:

Have we gone off topic slightly?
It must be Brian’s fault.:exit:

Sent my RB67 lens off to Miles and with ref to retiring:- he emailed me that he is trying to retire (slow down) but is still overloaded with work and would think from now would be more selective in what equipment he takes on for repair, but a guess that if you have used him a few times and remembers you, he would try to fit you in.

Thanks for the update Brian, good to know at least :(

I did contact him about last Nov\Dec but he told me he was overloaded with work and to try again next year...well maybe he felt obliged to fit me in for saying that ;)

I sent two cameras to Miles recently after contacting him before Christmas, a Baby Box Tengor which had a slightly iffy shutter (he has already done that one), and a FothFlex which requires new shutter curtains. I think it will be a while before the Fothflex is back but that's no problem for me. I think the Fothflex repair will be in the order of £200 but I can't quibble at that and it's a family heirloom which is about to get a new lease of life breathed into it. All his repairs for me have been excellent, well worth any wait for the results.

Well Miles has done my 180mm RB67 lens the bill was £85 and the problem was:- on pressing the camera shutter button the lens would operate at a delay up to 18 secs :eek: He said "the problem was the bearings hadn't seen any lubricant for a long time".
So any RB67 owners do you have your old lenses serviced while Miles is still working or wait till you get the same problem........

Well Miles has done my 180mm RB67 lens the bill was £85 and the problem was:- on pressing the camera shutter button the lens would operate at a delay up to 18 secs :eek: He said "the problem was the bearings hadn't seen any lubricant for a long time".
So any RB67 owners do you have your old lenses serviced while Miles is still working or wait till you get the same problem........
Stiff or set solid old oil and grease is a common problem with mechanical cameras, it just gums up or stops the works. Slow shutter speeds and self timer mechanisms often suffer from this on old cameras, as well as lens aperture and focus mechanisms.

Newton Ellis serviced my Yashica Minister 700 and did a fabulous job.

Robin at Harrow Technical has just finished servicing my Pentax ME Super and I should have it on Monday. I'll report back.

I emailed Miles and he said give it a few weeks and get back in touch. He's going to service my Agfa Isolette II.

Stiff or set solid old oil and grease is a common problem with mechanical cameras, it just gums up or stops the works. Slow shutter speeds and self timer mechanisms often suffer from this on old cameras, as well as lens aperture and focus mechanisms.

It's a bit annoying when you don't get your money's worth out of a lens (or a camera)......compared to a pro.

Morris is that Newton Ellis in Cheapside, in Liverpool??

Probably no good to me but for those of you who need repairs or servicing of slr cameras, these people may be of interest.
I know nothing about them other than what their website info offers.

Robin at Harrow Technical has just finished servicing my Pentax ME Super and I should have it on Monday. I'll report back.

I emailed Miles and he said give it a few weeks and get back in touch. He's going to service my Agfa Isolette II.

ME Super back in fabulous condition. When I can raise some funds I'll send over my Spotmatic SPII as well.

Back