Setting up a darkroom.

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok, here is probably the first of a number questions I'll be asking.

I've recently been given an enlarger by a friend and am in the process of setting up a dark room. I've managed to work out by my self that I'm missing a timer that plugs into it (or at least thats what I think that strange plug is for). What I would like to know is whether that plug is universal or standardised for all enlarger and enlarger timers.

If all my assumptions are correct so far, What kind of timer should I buy? Keeping in mind that I'm new to this and not that rich.

Also the enlarger that I've got is a Durst M 605 Colour.

Any watch or clock with second hand would do, when using a safe light for B/W. When doing your first print adjust the aperture of the enlarging lens so it doesn't expose in say under 5 secs....the reasons why? Well 1 sec out in 5 sec would make more difference than 1 sec out in 20 secs etc

I've got a Durst M605 and it's not a bad enlarger. Let me see what I did with the timer and I might be able to stick it in the for sale section for you. The M605 doesn't use a standard plug though, it uses a 2 pin instead of a 3 pin. I wasn't keen on the timer it came with so bought a Durst digital timer off of ebay and put a new plug on it.

Have you got the transformer for the enlarger?

my Durst enlarger (F60) had a std 3 pin plug on but the timer I picked up came with a euro type plug (2 pin and and earth strips on the edge).

I think my timer is a durst T60 but I would have to check, they are simple beasts though, mine is just a wind round clockwork timer on a glow in the dark face and one button for 'go'

think it cost me a tenner delivered on ebay.

First things first. You have to have a wet side and a dry side. Enlarger,easels,timers on one side then dishes,trays,tongs and a large container to throw the fixed print in. The safe light should be over the wet side,always assuming you are working B/W. All timers should be auto timer ,forget stop watches etc. I have a natty one for multi processing. Set up all the relevent times, then when the bell rings just press down the foot pedal.

The plug that I've got on the end of my enlarger is 3 prongs along one size and 4 along the other. As for the transformer there is no sign of it.

any pics, so we can see what yo have ?

(y)

Hadley said:
The plug that I've got on the end of my enlarger is 3 prongs along one size and 4 along the other. As for the transformer there is no sign of it.

In that case the timer is the least of your worries. You need the transformer to step down from 240v to 12v. The part number is DURST TRA 305N. I'll try and upload a picture of mine later so you know what you're looking for.

showphoto.php
[/url][/IMG]

Here is a picture of the plug that is attached to the enlarger.

**** it, cut it off and start from scratch, that's nothing like the plug on mine. Unless they changed the M605 during it's life that is. If you take the lamp unit off of the enlarger using the two knurled bolts you can then get access to the lamp area and it should just be two wires so I'm not sure why your plug has so many pins.

I reckon you could get a transformer from pretty much anywhere and as long as it converts 240-12v and can handle 50-100watts you'll be able to power it up.

Here's a link to a durst service centre

http://www.northernphoto.co.uk/durst.php3

And if you put Durst Transformer into google you'll see a few threads where people talk about replacing them with alternatives.

**** it, cut it off and start from scratch, that's nothing like the plug on mine. Unless they changed the M605 during it's life that is. If you take the lamp unit off of the enlarger using the two knurled bolts you can then get access to the lamp area and it should just be two wires so I'm not sure why your plug has so many pins.

I reckon you could get a transformer from pretty much anywhere and as long as it converts 240-12v and can handle 50-100watts you'll be able to power it up.

Here's a link to a durst service centre

http://www.northernphoto.co.uk/durst.php3

And if you put Durst Transformer into google you'll see a few threads where people talk about replacing them with alternatives.

Yeah, I'm starting to agree.

Just thought that I'd update people that I've now found a transformer and timer switch that works with that strange plug.

congratulations James. Let me know if there's other bits you're missing as i've collected quite a few of the accessories for the 605 and don't use them all, or if I do I might be able to point in the right direction of finding your own.

congratulations James. Let me know if there's other bits you're missing as i've collected quite a few of the accessories for the 605 and don't use them all, or if I do I might be able to point in the right direction of finding your own.

Cheers and sure thing.

Back