Setting up a new dark room

cowasaki

TPer Emeritus
Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Well i've spent a couple of months sorting out my studio and built a small changing room into it which I decided to make light tight from the outset so that I can use it as a dark room as well.

I am not bothering with colour and will only be using B&W so a few questions.

I have seen a red bulb on ebay that can be used for light whilst processing, are these any good?

Just doing B&W my shopping list will be...

chemicals (will get a set).
film canister opener.
film developer tank.
measuring cylinder
plastic jugs

then for prints

trays
enlarger
paper

what else am I looking for and can anyone point me towards a cheap location for them. I have seen a few job lots of kits being sold/given away on here but they have all been too far away.

LINK TO WANTED AD.

safe light ;)

I use the edge of scissors to open film canisters cos u need scissors anyway

a guillotine for prints

a radio

beer

an ashtray (optional)

storage bottles for mixed chemicals

tongs

erm maybe some more

If they say they're ok for use in a room where you're printing then it should be A-ok. Don't forget you've got to load your film for developing in complete darkness though so remember to turn the light off before opening up your canisters!

you can do Black and White printing with a red safelight no problem

stew

Darren PM sent Complete B/W Darkroom everything needed Clicky To Thread (y)

4611203669_de83308e18_o.jpg

Dave

You'll need an easel, get a decent one like an RRB/Beard, LPL ones will do to get started but they're pretty horrible in comparison.

Things to watch within enlargers, what size are you printing, what film formats are you printing, does it have all the bits for printing all the formats you're going to use?

A tray warmer is a nice accessory to keep the dishes up to temp in a cold garage. You can get them cheap on ebay and ask the seller to use parcels2go for cheap carriage of large items. If I think of anything else I come back but I think most of it has been listed.

Coo - an enlarger with speed stripes eh... :thinking:

Good deal, nice to see another succumb to the light side! Of the dark. Sort of.

Back