Settings for my D4s

Name
Mark Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
I wanted to set my AF on button to activate group area af and have my shutter button on single point which i remember someone doing in the past. I thought i had done it twice already but it doesn't seem to work for me, anyone able to she some light omg it..

I want the shutter button on single point(25) for stationary birds and animals and have the back button AFon for birds in flight or moving animals. Cheers...

I would have said that's not possible. But if you've seen it done, then I guess it must be possible. I'm following this thread to find out the answer.

I don't think it's possible to do it either, it is with the D500 but I don't recall the option on the D4S ... there are some options around the multi-selector button but not covering what you want to do.

Really? How?
Well by customising the buttons ... not that you can customise the shutter button but you can have several buttons set for different AF settings.
I have my D500 set to normally be Group Area-AF and the Pv button for Single Point, other options are available with other buttons.

Well by customising the buttons ... not that you can customise the shutter button but you can have several buttons set for different AF settings.
I have my D500 set to normally be Group Area-AF and the Pv button for Single Point, other options are available with other buttons.
Right, I see, thanks. The extent to which buttons can be customised on the D500 is basically the same as the D5, which is a lot more flexible than the D4/D4S. You can configure the AF-ON button (or indeed several other buttons) to activate area-mode AF and AF-ON, so if the camera is set in single-point AF mode that will achieve what the OP was after: shutter button initiates single-point AF, AF-ON button initiates area-mode AF.

(@markyboy.1967 : The D5 customisation options are explained on pages 83 to 95 of the D5 menu guide. Time for an upgrade?)

and of course the little joystick button can also be customised ... I think Mark has his eye on a D500 :)

Right, I see, thanks. The extent to which buttons can be customised on the D500 is basically the same as the D5, which is a lot more flexible than the D4/D4S. You can configure the AF-ON button (or indeed several other buttons) to activate area-mode AF and AF-ON, so if the camera is set in single-point AF mode that will achieve what the OP was after: shutter button initiates single-point AF, AF-ON button initiates area-mode AF.

(@markyboy.1967 : The D5 customisation options are explained on pages 83 to 95 of the D5 menu guide. Time for an upgrade?)

Nah the D5 isnt enough for me to upgrade as yet, maybe if a D5s comes out then i might just do the move but as it stands i cant see how the D5 will improve the way i shoot or the results.

I think what your saying is basically what im after. I will try it on the D500 when it comes as it seems logical to be able to switch so quickly when required.

Back