Settings for using strobes?

Name
Len
Edit My Images
Yes
Ok guys, I'm an absolute newbie as far as using studio lighting is concerned so bare with me.
I've just purchased a set of 3 Neewar 250 strobes that were going cheap. I've got the SU 800 paired up to my D850. They trigger fine but the shutter speeds are vey very slow. Can anyone tell me the recommended camera settings for getting these things to work properly?

Manual exposure mode, shutter speed to your maximum sync speed (probably 1/200 - 1/250th) and use the aperture and flash power to get a good exposure.

I am guessing you are trying to use an auto exposure mode that is metering for the ambient hence a slow shutter speed.

Ok guys, I'm an absolute newbie as far as using studio lighting is concerned so bare with me.
I've just purchased a set of 3 Neewar 250 strobes that were going cheap. I've got the SU 800 paired up to my D850. They trigger fine but the shutter speeds are vey very slow. Can anyone tell me the recommended camera settings for getting these things to work properly?
I’m guessing you started with a semi auto mode?
You’ll need manual, the camera can’t meter the lights.

Starting point, iso100, 1/125 and 5.6.
Adjust to suit (either lights or aperture/iso)
You’ll only have to adjust SS if your trigger is really slow.
Also I’d look at a less complex trigger set. Probably cheap radio triggers is best vfm.

Edit. Cross posted, but I’ll bet he said the same.

When you say slow - how slow? 1/250 is probably the fastest sync speed, or are you talking much slower than that?

Fully manual exposure - don't use auto ISO.
Set WB to flash
Phil's settings would work but I'd normally start at max sync speed - often 1/200

Then adjust ISO & aperture to get a frame which is only just completely black when no flash fires and which has the DoF you need.
Add lights to taste.
Increase F stop if the lights are too bright.
If you want to let a little ambient light in then you can reduce shutter speed without altering your lights

Just remember that as soon as you change aperture or ISO you'll need to adjust your lights to compensate.

Guys thanks for these tips. Gives me some starting points to experiment with. As mentioned in a few of the posts, I had the camera on one of the program modes. I'll see how I get on with manual setting. Thanks again.

I'm a slow learner using lighting but one little snippet I remind myself of every time I use lighting is SHUTTER SPEED CONTROLS AMBIENT LIGHT, the rest seems to fall in place for me. As Simon said above "If you want to let a little ambient light in then you can reduce shutter speed without altering your lights"

I'm a slow learner using lighting but one little snippet I remind myself of every time I use lighting is SHUTTER SPEED CONTROLS AMBIENT LIGHT, the rest seems to fall in place for me. As Simon said above "If you want to let a little ambient light in then you can reduce shutter speed without altering your lights"

Not quite - both aperture and ISO also control ambient light, and flash exposure too.

But shutter speed does not effect flash exposure (with normal studio flash, provided you're not above the x-sync ceiling).

Back