Settings help?

Edit My Images
No
Hello! First post! I registered because I was having trouble photographing football and rugby. I'm only an amateur so still learning my trade, but a lot of my photos the focusing isn't quite as spot on as I would like. OBviously I use continuous focusing, but what about the centre area or closest subject? Are there any tips of the trade that would help me out in starting ?? Holding the shutter release button down seems to lock the focus and when a player runs towards me that tends to make him go out of focus quickly, am I missing something really obvious? Also re: exposure, what sort of metering do you guys use? Centre weighted or spot?

Thank you !!

Oops sorry. I use a nikon D3s and a 300 mm F2.8 VR. I set VR to on (not active), and will either have a monopod or just handhold, supporting my 'lens arm' on my knee (whilst sat down obviously !!) - I use Aperture priority mode locked at F2.8, with minimum shutter speed of 1/1000 and ISO auto ramping up whenever necessary.

Exactly same gear as me except i have the non VR lens, VR is useless in fast action sports photography and can actually have an adverse effect so turn it off unless you are shooting "static" subjects using a slow shutter speed under 1/200th sec

Can i just ask, and dont think im being rude, why or how would you have £7,000 worth of gear and be asking how to use it.

Take a look at a post of mine from today to see what can be acheived with this set up

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=258967

Can i just ask, and dont think im being rude, why or how would you have £7,000 worth of gear and be asking how to use it.

not everyones a poor bugger like me and you gary :) its all relative.. 7k is a lot to us.. might not be to other people...

Steve probably saw your pics Gary and realized that your kit was the only way to go to get quality shots :D.

The player running towards you shouldn't be going out of focus. Are you keeping the shutter half depressed to activate the auto focus? Are you sure you are in continuous focus mode. Maybe try using the back button to focus then you'll be more conscious that you are activating it.

Back