Settings help

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi there

Is there anywhere or anyone that can help me with settings in various modes for my camera, just bought a new lens and wanting to start taking better pictures away from auto, ive tried playing with settings but photos seem not to be upto scratch.

A frustrated amateur:crying:

I could be here all year typing a response to that request. I've got a better idea though. Have a look for a book called Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson. It's a great all round book to help you get to grips with Photography and comes highly recommended by a lot of photographers.

If you've got any more specific questions I'm sure we can help you a bit better though.

Camera at present is a 300D but was going to change it for a 30D or 40D as mrs wanted to buy me a new 1 but still finding setting up the camera for certain shots dificult to master to get them looking good.
I do get some good pictures every so ofton and mostly take pictures of family ie portraits and of fish at shows.

Post some of the "not up to scratch" images and let us know what settings you used. Folk will have more idea of how to help you then :)

heres a cpl of pictures i took with kit lens and pop up camera flash being used.

picture1 info is TV, 1/45, 5.6, ISO 100, AWB
173_7322.jpg

Picture2 info is M, 1/200, 8.0, ISO, AWB
173_7358.jpg

Also just bought a Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II 50 mm F 1.8 but isnt taking any good pictures yet as i presume settings are not right yet.

First is fine but a bit overexposed. Try dialling down the onboard flash a bit if you are that close.

Second one is focused on his tshirt not his face. Dd you use manual focus on the lens, or auto-focus.

If auto-focus you may have had the wrong focus point selected and thats why. Its usually best to use the centre till you know what you are doing. That wouldve got his face in focus for starters. (y)

It was on auto focus on both pictures as far as im aware, could i turn the outer focus points of on my camera and only use the centre focusing point.

you can use all at once..... or any singly. look at your manual.. probably its the joystick type control which moves them round.

that second shot, check the minimum focus distance on the lens, are you too close?

suggest you brush up on your skills before spending lots of money, the 300 will give good results when operated right, a more expensive camera (with more control permutations) could just give you more problems!

I'm with Janice on using cetre focus point only, gives you lots more control, certainly until you have a better understanding. I've got the 400d and you have to be in one of P, Av, Tv or M modes to allow focus point selection. The green square (full auto) and all the preset icon modes dont allow focus point control.
If you can get it into centre only focus point then in one-shot focus mode (not any of the AI modes) then you can half press on the shutter, it locks the focus on the centre point, then you can swing the camera around a bit to move your subject away from the centre and it will hold the focus until you release the shutter or press fully to take the shot. Obviously dont move towards or away from the subject while shutter is half pressed as you'll muck up the focus by changing the distance. Note when doing this that if the distance to teh subject is short then the depth of field is very narrow too, possibly a few mm and any small movement by you towards or away can ruin the focus.

I'm no expert, it's just that I just get it wrong lots and now I'm starting to realise lots of reasons why!

I just got a 50mmf1.8 and my first shots were not stunning, trying it on f1.8 I was getting very narrow depth of field, inside the house and in the garden at short range it was a bit of a disaster, especially with the half press to focus and recompose routine, it was getting out of focus on my body sway. But then we went out & about for a play and I realised it's sharpest at f2.5-f8 where it also gets a bigger depth of field, and helped also by subject distances over 10ft (and with decent shutter speed to account for my wobbling) and then the results were very sharp.

Hi

Thanks for the replys so far and plenty of advice to take on board from what you have mentioned above, regarding some of the points wookie made is that i bet i do most of them lol.
Ill have another look at book for the focal points and see if i can make it that i only have the centre 1 running.

Back