settings needed

Name
Michael
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi, I have just been to the rehersals for my daughters big dance show I would love to know what settings i have right and what settings i have wrong. the pictures where taking with the lighting at there darkest
3093751822_18c326f16d.jpg

3093749234_46e6fffe0e.jpg

3092905197_a38e864fc8.jpg

thanks for looking.
for more info on the pics my flickr http://www.flickr.com/photos/edinburghmichael/

Michael.

Love to help Michael but you have stripped out the EXIF when you posted them here and on Flickr. Can you show us the exif for them so we know what settings you used?

Ali

Love to help Michael but you have stripped out the EXIF when you posted them here and on Flickr. Can you show us the exif for them so we know what settings you used?

Ali

oh deer how do i do that then is that not the info on the right in flickr?
Michael.

As your settings are "somewhere" I can only say what I'd be doing, which is...

I'd start with, the flash attached , ISO800 (or the flash will be lost in the gloom). If its a stage then a single flash will almost certainly have to be direct as there is no ceiling to bounce off. This will create harsher shadows, but not much you can do about it.

Program mode is probably easiest. That generally locks the exposure to 1/60th and gets a reasonable shot.

Which means any lens over 70mm and you are going to be pushed for shutter speed.

If you are feeling ambitious then stick it in M, dial up about f4 and 100th and then vary the speed depending on the results you get.

Have fun

As your settings are "somewhere" I can only say what I'd be doing, which is...

I'd start with, the flash attached , ISO800 (or the flash will be lost in the gloom). If its a stage then a single flash will almost certainly have to be direct as there is no ceiling to bounce off. This will create harsher shadows, but not much you can do about it.

Program mode is probably easiest. That generally locks the exposure to 1/60th and gets a reasonable shot.

Which means any lens over 70mm and you are going to be pushed for shutter speed.

If you are feeling ambitious then stick it in M, dial up about f4 and 100th and then vary the speed depending on the results you get.

Have fun

^^^^^ What he said esp the Manual bit you will have more fun doing it in manual plus u learn more :D

OK got it in flickr now Michael.

The ISO is about right, f2.8 is as wide as you are going to get without a shocking loss of depth of field. That leaves the shutter speed and metering.

Your metering is pattern and I'd be tempted to try spot metering in this instance because you have a subject isolated in a dark background.

If you would like more light you can open your shutter a little longer. You shot at 1/80 there and you should be safe to go to 1/50 so long as there is not too much movement. If there is a lot of movement you would really need to introduce light of some sort.

hope that helps

Ali

morning thanks for your time yesterday, I know I should have taken a better mental note, I tried a few pics with the auto iso setting on but am not a 100% sure if it was the start or the end! can i find out any other way if it was the auto used to take the pic? or should i just stick with the iso @ 800

I seen a bit of the show but was not able to get pics and the lighting was a lot better the usual disco lights and all that where on, and there will be a LOT of movement breakdancing and chearleading all that kinda stuff it is an after school club event they been at it for months they all excited as its a venue the likes of Dido performed in wooooo :)

Michael

Back