Settings on d7000

Name
Phil
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all
Was out and about in London yesterday and started shooting about 6pm...it was pitch black.
I was playing about with all my settings but just couldn't get what I want. Anyone able to recommend a good set up for night photography walking the streets of a city. Getting all the lights in focus etc. Here's a couple...View attachment 25110View attachment 25111

Get a D4s

Seriously, it appears you're asking for what settings you can use to shoot at f8-ish, so the DoF is large enough to have most things sharply in focus, and at the same time a high enough shutter speed to freeze the action of cars, walkers, cyclists and all in the dark too - if so, in 'pitch black' you need amazingly high ISO and only a few camera can possibly cope

I use D7000 cameras and they can't do that

However, the usual point of such photography is either to use a long shutter speed and let moving things blur, or use a wide open aperture (f2.8 or wider) and allow everything but the main subject to become increasingly OoF. Your images are a bit confusing as I'm not sure what you specifically want me to look at; either of a long exposure blur or wide open narrow DoF would help me to see what you want me to see

Otherwise, buy a D4s and shoot at 100,000 ISO :)

Dave

I think you need to understand the limitations of your equipment. There are things that you will come across that you will have to work around and things that you can not work around. When you do shots like this you will need a long shutter like the others said. The challenge that you will face doing a long exposure is that nothing can move. Not your camera or the subjects. So if you have people in the shots it is not going to work out well unless you can get them to stand completely still. A better idea is to find a spot that does not have moving subjects, people or cars and set up on a tripod with a cable release.

:canon:

Back