setups and shots with home studio setup Thread

^^^ Fantastic setup. Ill have to give that a try.

GR3Z said:
I had ago at feathering the light off the white BG to turn it grey and then to black, (black one had some tweeking in PP) using the same setup so I thought id share them :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gr3z/6251369713/
Lois Pig tails by GR3Z, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gr3z/6251887214/
lois against grey by GR3Z, on Flickr

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gr3z/6251356339/
lois againts black by GR3Z, on Flickr

Really like that second one Graeme, can you share any more details about how you feathered the light please.

I should be up and running with my kit by the end of the week, looking forward to it.

dan_yorkshire said:
Really like that second one Graeme, can you share any more details about how you feathered the light please.

I should be up and running with my kit by the end of the week, looking forward to it.

I had her stand further away from the bg angled the soft box away from the bg so the light didnt spill on to the bg as much and used a second flash with just a defuser on, but lower down on right to act as fill

GR3Z said:
I had her stand further away from the bg angled the soft box away from the bg so the light didnt spill on to the bg as much and used a second flash with just a defuser on, but lower down on right to act as fill

So there was no lights on the background at all then for the grey background shots?

This something I want to try so much, but the more I read, the more I think its just too comlicated:( I really don't have a technical mind, and trying to figure it all it makes me think I'll be spending money then not having a clue how to use the kit:cautious:... bit like my camera I suppose:(

wilmorh said:
This something I want to try so much, but the more I read, the more I think its just too comlicated:( I really don't have a technical mind, and trying to figure it all it makes me think I'll be spending money then not having a clue how to use the kit:cautious:... bit like my camera I suppose:(

If you can afford the gear go for it, stick your photos into this thread with setup photos and no matter what is wrong people on here will help you sort it. I'm only starting at this type of thing but reckon once I get the basics sorted I can tweak all I want.

wilmorh said:

I was in the same boat as you, I got my first Dslr back in may to shoot our little one once he arrived and have slowly bought bits and bobs, I've just hammered the net for tutorials and guides I'm all self taught and have have this place to thank for a lot it all really... That's why I thought I'd share with others still learning like me

This is a great place to learn and share, i just really struggle with reading and learning technical stuff, had my D80 for four years now, still rarely come off auto, which is unforgivable but I seem to have a mental block. Will have a look and see what deals there are on these studio kits, and maybe just go for it:)

This is a great place to learn and share, i just really struggle with reading and learning technical stuff, had my D80 for four years now, still rarely come off auto, which is unforgivable but I seem to have a mental block. Will have a look and see what deals there are on these studio kits, and maybe just go for it:)

Dont worry about switching over to manual or av mode, just have a read of some tutorials like graeme says and have a play with the setting on your camera, you can always switch back to the horrid green square :puke: if need be, but you will be amazed at what you can achieve when you take that step from beyond auto, creativity is your friend (y), Today i did my 1st proper shoot with the hi lite and studio lights, will post up some pics shortly.

Andy

I've got time on my hands now, so really gonna try and crack it:) Gonna look on youtube as well, I seem to learn by bneing taught as apposed to reading the info myself. I have a few books here which I have read many times, couldn't tell you anything that was in them! This thread has really got me going in terms of needing that 'kick up the arse':D

Looking forward to seeing your shots(y)

wilmorh said:
I seem to learn by being taught as apposed to reading the info myself

I'm exactly the same, exactly the reason I requested this thread in the first place.

YouTube is a brilliant place to start. Also use the strobist.com website, starting with 'Lighting 101'. David Hobby breaks it down really well and although it's not white background stuff he talks about the relationship between camera and flash.

Have you got any flashes yet?

That was my next buy tbh, looking at getting the Jessops 360AFD, its not as expensive as the ither brands, but seems to have good reviews:)

wilmorh said:
That was my next buy tbh, looking at getting the Jessops 360AFD, its not as expensive as the ither brands, but seems to have good reviews:)

Yep, nothing wrong with that flash at all. However another good option is the Yongnuo YN460-ll flash which you can get for less than £35 delivered on eBay, will do the job very well for off camera flash stuff. You'll be able to get 2/3 for the same budget then after getting some triggers and receivers your ready to go

Oooh, i'll look into that, thank you:)

Spent last night and this morning on youtube, so ahd a little go at leaving auto behind, don't want to keep hijacking this thread so created one of my own http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=359690 hopefully others who are in a similar position will put their shots in as well:) Thanks so much for all the help you've all given, its been an online kick up the bum:D

dan_yorkshire said:
Yep, nothing wrong with that flash at all. However another good option is the Yongnuo YN460-ll flash which you can get for less than £35 delivered on eBay, will do the job very well for off camera flash stuff. You'll be able to get 2/3 for the same budget then after getting some triggers and receivers your ready to go

All my flashes and triggers are yongnuo's there sound, ideal to begin with...

GR3Z said:
All my flashes and triggers are yongnuo's there sound, ideal to begin with...

Yep I have the RF602 triggers and receivers, they've been great. Not skipped a beat.

I've gone against all the advice on TP and bought a Fleabay 900W lighting kit - :cautious:

The fleybay backdrop stand / backdrops have turned up today so all i need now is a victim to practice on

My gear has arrived too, will hopefully get chance to have a play at the weekend.

Nice thread. I will share some of my stuff too (using a hilite in a living room) although I don't have a setup shot just yet. Posted to subscribe ad remind me to put a couple on here :)

Great thread guys!

This may be a very silly question but I'm going to ask it anyway!

Are the lights that are used for background continuos or are they fired as a flash for the shots?

P.s - GR3Z is that a deers head hiding behind your background in the set-up shot?!

Great thread guys!

Are the lights that are used for background continuos or are they fired as a flash for the shots?

P.s - GR3Z is that a deers head hiding behind your background in the set-up shot?!

Flash.

You may be able to provide a white background with continuous lights but they need to be pretty powerful.

Best of luck with your ebay setups
i do have better studio lights but have used and do use small 180w strobes,when space is tight
1 light set up.similar strobe to this,tho mine has metal body
£35
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180W-180WS-Studio-Strobe-Photo-Flash-Light-PHOTOGRAPHY-/170645279048?pt=UK_Photography_StudioEquipment_RL&hash=bin27bb405148#ht_3291wt_1161
plus £25 softbox,gone up a bit now so say £35
chuck in a reflector,which i didnt on this one.or use your speed light for a bit of rim lighting

not impossible to produce reasonable images with cheap gear
http://
http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/markseventphotos/?action=view&current=CopyofAcorn_999_76.jpg

Last edited:
Best of luck with your ebay setups
i do have better studio lights but have used and do use small 180w strobes,when space is tight
1 light set up.similar strobe to this,tho mine has metal body
£35
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180W-180WS-Studio-Strobe-Photo-Flash-Light-PHOTOGRAPHY-/170645279048?pt=UK_Photography_StudioEquipment_RL&hash=bin27bb405148#ht_3291wt_1161
plus £25 softbox,gone up a bit now so say £35
chuck in a reflector,which i didnt on this one.or use your speed light for a bit of rim lighting

not impossible to produce reasonable images with cheap gear
http://s1135.photobucket.com/albums/m637/markseventphotos/?action=view&current=CopyofAcorn_999_76.jpg

You can create a nice image with a candle light or window light - A black background is not difficult to achieve just by havingthe model stand in a door way with natural light modeliing the face and the interior being a few stops under the exposure of the model's face. In fact studio light tries to replicate natural light.

The difficulty with the cheap gear is it's pretty limited and not as reliable or powerful as most flashes and the range of modifiers ia also very limited.

I like the image though :)

Phil Hammond said:
Great thread guys!

The lights are just yongnuo hot shoe flashes fired with wireless triggers and yes, it's a deer's head good spot :)

Well i've got it setup and bribed my son to sit still for 5 mins and............ it looks like i've got too much light ! even at the lowest setting for the flash i'm getting to much spill from the white background, so i need to make some space to get the lights further away, here's one using a single flash with a soft-box fitted just sat on the chair

f2.8 / ISO50 / 1/160 which is the fastest i can sync with the trigger supplied with the kit

test1.jpg

Well i've got it setup and bribed my son to sit still for 5 mins and............ it looks like i've got too much light ! even at the lowest setting for the flash i'm getting to much spill from the white background, so i need to make some space to get the lights further away, here's one using a single flash with a soft-box fitted just sat on the chair

f2.8 / ISO50 / 1/160 which is the fastest i can sync with the trigger supplied with the kit

test1.jpg

Nice image (shame about the pose) lol

What do you mean too much spill from the background? How close is the subject to the background? With the flash what setting are you using? Is the flash in Manual mode? If so what power level is it set to?

Also why are you shooting at f2.8? Portraits are generally shot at smaller apertures - 2.8 is ok if that's what you want to do though.

Just trying to work out what the issue is.

Jim - that was shot at f2.8 for shallow DOF, Here's one where i'm trying to get the background light setup. i don't have a light meter so i cant tell you the flash power but their both set to their lowest settings and firing at the background at about 45 deg, one each side about 2 feet from the background and firing through soft-box's, as you can see there's spill lighting the face, i would guess ....but i could be wrong as this is new to me, that he should be in silhouette as there's no other lighting other than that from the background :shrug: - he's about 7 - 8 feet away.

f10 - 1/160 ISO 50

test2.jpg

Last edited:
Jim - that was shot at f2.8 for shallow DOF, Here's one where i'm trying to get the background light setup. i don't have a light meter so i cant tell you the flash power but their both set to their lowest settings and firing at the background at about 45 deg, one each side about 2 feet from the background and firing through soft-box's, as you can see there's spill lighting the face, i would guess ....but i could be wrong as this is new to me, that he should be in silhouette as there's no other lighting other than that from the background :shrug: - he's about 7 - 8 feet away.

f10 - 1/160 ISO 50

test2.jpg

What colour are your walls? that light will be bouncing all round the room. Doesn't look like spill - more like a fill flash. Spill would appear much brighter.

In a small space there's not much you can do other than fix in PP (easily sorted).

The background looks under exposed.

Flash.

You may be able to provide a white background with continuous lights but they need to be pretty powerful.

The lights are just yongnuo hot shoe flashes fired with wireless triggers and yes, it's a deer's head good spot :)

Cool, thanks for that!

I'm currently reading Sly Arena's 'Speedliters Handbook' and have been really tempted to go out and buy a 430EXII but that would mean I would be using only one light and having read through all these posts it's pretty clear that for a lot less money I could have a few lights and other bits to play around and practice with, so thats what I'll do I think.

We have our first baby due in Feb so I'm really getting into this whole home studio set up stuff as I'd love to get some awesome pics obviously.
Just don't know what I'm doing. At all! :thinking:

I'll have to check these yongnuo options out. Like I said tho loving this thread, its all I want to read about at the mo so the stuff here is really helpfull! (y)

Back