setups and shots with home studio setup Thread

I just thought I would stick another image from a recent shoot.

6877375139_1309dc4ca0_b.jpg

Regards MD

McNyat said:
Deadly thread Graham,
I see you're using the 17-55 2.8 with the 550d. I have a 550d and am considering this lens. How are you finding it and would you recommend it? Did you notice much difference to the kit lens?
Thanks,
Ciaran

It's mint and never leaves the camera, it's really sharp,focuses really fast and produces nice bokeh.... It is expensive tho, and some would say consider the 17-50 tamron but if the budget allows go for the canon..

Compared to the kit, it's in a different league. Word of warning tho, it's big, I've added a battery grip ( £22 replica of eBay which work flawless ) to my body to help balance the camera,

Have you read this :
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Last edited:
McNyat said:
Deadly thread Graham,
I see you're using the 17-55 2.8 with the 550d. I have a 550d and am considering this lens. How are you finding it and would you recommend it? Did you notice much difference to the kit lens?
Thanks,
Ciaran

The difference is like night and day. I reckon if it wasn't an EFs lens Canon would have stuck a red ring on it and called it an L series.

Word of warning tho, it's big

Chuckled at that :D
Try the 70-200 f2.8L IS MkII - That is BIG!
The 17-55 is small even in comparison to the 24-70

It's mint and never leaves the camera, it's really sharp,focuses really fast and produces nice bokeh.... It is expensive tho, and some would say consider the 17-50 tamron but if the budget allows go for the canon..

Compared to the kit, it's in a different league. Word of warning tho, it's big, I've added a battery grip ( £22 replica of eBay which work flawless ) to my body to help balance the camera,

Have you read this :
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-S-17-55mm-f-2.8-IS-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Funny that..... I've just ordered a battery grip this weekend. Maybe thats fate telling me to go for this lens now ;)

Hi All - I'm a newbie on here, but have just read this thread end to end. A fantastic source of info for me!Thanks to eveyone who contributed. But I'm hoping someone could help me make a couple of decisions please...

I want a basic setup for family portraits of my 7 month old daughter and wife. I don't want to buy something that I'll grow out of quickly, so have been persuaded by this thread that my end goal should be:

- Lastolite hilite with train, black bottletop, and with some tileboard/perspex
- two Lencarta Smartflash 200s for the hilite
- keylight with softbox
- radio trigger/receivers, stands etc

That's all going to add up, so I want to build up in stages. I was thinking to start with that I could buy a keylight and softbox, then use a black sheet to do some single light low key shots. That would give me a flavour of what its all about and hopefully give some good results. Does that sound sensible?

So my questions:
- for 'stage 1' I'm not sure if a flash as the key light will be best for a baby. Would a continious light be better and would I get as good results? Any recommendations on which continuous lights I should look at please?

- 'stage 2' is probably going to be the speedlights used with a white sheet. If I'm shooting baby on the floor, or adult sat on the floor, can these lights also be on the floor or sat on a small box, or do I need stands straight away?

- what's my best option for triggers? I have a Canon 400D, which is fairly basic but does have a synch socket. I assume I can use a lead to one light, and have read that the speedlights can react to other flashes and fire themselves. Does this work in reality?

Looking forward to any help and suggestions! Thanks :)

My first tip would be to get a roll of white paper, it's a lot easier to light and takes a lot less power, not to mention it has no creases, I personally use two strobes to light the Bg it produces a nice even spread...as for the floor I use tile board, and you get nice reflections too see page one for an example..

Anyone know where I can get a W I D E roll of paper?

Marcus . A couple of white bedsheets.. Two lights and a sheet of perspex and you can do the white studio shots. and also the black b/g low light stuff...;)

Then when your happy and have a few more quid get more kit ..

I put up a image shot with two lights and some bedsheets..(y)

Taking good studio style images does not need to cost the earth..

MD(y)

Anyone know where I can get a W I D E roll of paper?

Most rolls are 3mtrs wide if you need wider just buy another roll and add them together...:D

Colarama is one I use.

MD(y)

I thought you guys might like this putting in here rarther than a fresh thread..;)

I only took these to show you all you dont need a massive studio or lots of big studio lights..

This was taken using two lights Two bedsheets. and my old perspex..:LOL:

OH and it was taken in my hallway in the house....:nuts:

setup10.jpg

Regards MD

Hi MD

Love the simplicity.....can I ask, is the light behind the sheet "naked" so to speak or through a brollie ?

Hi All - I'm a newbie on here, but have just read this thread end to end. A fantastic source of info for me!Thanks to eveyone who contributed. But I'm hoping someone could help me make a couple of decisions please...

I want a basic setup for family portraits of my 7 month old daughter and wife. I don't want to buy something that I'll grow out of quickly, so have been persuaded by this thread that my end goal should be:

- Lastolite hilite with train, black bottletop, and with some tileboard/perspex
- two Lencarta Smartflash 200s for the hilite
- keylight with softbox
- radio trigger/receivers, stands etc

That's all going to add up, so I want to build up in stages. I was thinking to start with that I could buy a keylight and softbox, then use a black sheet to do some single light low key shots. That would give me a flavour of what its all about and hopefully give some good results. Does that sound sensible?

So my questions:
- for 'stage 1' I'm not sure if a flash as the key light will be best for a baby. Would a continious light be better and would I get as good results? Any recommendations on which continuous lights I should look at please?
I think what you are proposing sounds ok. You can create nice single light shots with any background. Distance and direction of the key will control light falling on the background so experiment a bit.

Baby will be fine with flash and I would recommend flash if you are looking to go dowmn that road. More power and more flexible.

- 'stage 2' is probably going to be the speedlights used with a white sheet. If I'm shooting baby on the floor, or adult sat on the floor, can these lights also be on the floor or sat on a small box, or do I need stands straight away?

Speedlights can be expensive - slow to recycle, batteries need replacing. Why speedlights?

The light should be low if baby is on the floor but they need to be high enough to give a 10 0'clock / 2 o'clock catchlight in the eye - Direction is crucial so sitting them too low is not good. You can buy cheap stands.

what's my best option for triggers? I have a Canon 400D, which is fairly basic but does have a synch socket. I assume I can use a lead to one light, and have read that the speedlights can react to other flashes and fire themselves. Does this work in reality?

Looking forward to any help and suggestions! Thanks :)

Forget the sync socket and cables. Buy a cheap wireless radio trigger.

Hi MD

Love the simplicity.....can I ask, is the light behind the sheet "naked" so to speak or through a brollie ?

It was shot through a 450x450 softbox.

And yes simple was the key...! (y)

I knew I had posted it lol:LOL:

Dave:wave:

Hi guys havent been on here for awhile, added a few posts on here at the beginning, well my partner is now 7 months pregnant and thought id share a few of the shot we did today, we decided to have ago at a maternity shoot and here are the results, kit used was, a lastolite hilite with black bottle top, 1 x elemental 250w genesis with 24" softbox.

6905299905_b3020d5f98_z.jpg

6905302813_d7ff56749a_z.jpg

6905306829_6061c74b51_z.jpg

6905310821_803a744ca9_z.jpg

6905315439_9db06b6121_z.jpg

Andy :D

Last edited:
Hi Andy
Whilst the images are nice and I like the ideas, I think the lighting lets them down just a bit. All 3 are under exposed and look a bit grey - (check the levels in Photoshop) If you increase the levels in No3 it starts to look a lot better.

Where you have lit the bump it's pretty flat light which is not the best light to use. I personally like to see deeper shadow possibly back lighting the bump and child or using snoots to light each seperately.

Like I say I like the ideas but the lighting is just a little under exposing the subject.

MD,
Quick question which you have probably been asked before..what produces the reflection? I think I can make out a piece of perspex or something that the little lad is sat on, is that right?
Great images.
Stu

Hi Stu....it is perspex, believe he got it from B&Q (y)

MD,
Quick question which you have probably been asked before..what produces the reflection? I think I can make out a piece of perspex or something that the little lad is sat on, is that right?
Great images.
Stu

Just a couple of posts up Dave says
A couple of white bedsheets.. Two lights and a sheet of perspex and you can do the white studio shots. and also the black b/g low light stuff...;)

To be honest i liked it at first but not sure I do any more..... For me the shadow is more of a distraction than adding to the image - in some shots it looks ok though (just personal preference).

Thanks for the pointers guys - I think I'm going to go for a single Smartflash, stand and trigger for now and see how I get on (Jim - no idea why I typed speedlight - I meant smartflash).

Thanks for the encouragement - I'll come back with some results soon! :)

very good :)

I just took delivery of my vinyl backdrop today, so I quickly chucked it together and grabbed my old man for a minute!!

I think it was a little underexposed as I had to bring a bit of fill in and up the brightness. With a bit more time and patience hopefully they'll improve. (Sorry Jim, I nicked your idea with the flash gels too! :p )

I think white balance is off a touch too??

Dad by rob_mank, on Flickr

And the set up:

Set up by rob_mank, on Flickr

Any constructive critique welcome!! :)

Certainly not my idea :) Been done a million times lol

That doesn't look like vinyl? is that not a cloth backdrop?
The power of the back light a bit too much - Turning it down will give a more subtle look. Play around with the zoom setting on the flash too to adjust the spread of the light.

Colour and exposure on the subject look ok.

Nice job for a first go. (y)

This is what I have:

http://www.bessel.co.uk/info/Black and White Vinyl.html

Its not very thick but looks ok. Certainly better than the off cuts of material I've been using!! :LOL:

Yea I didn't have much time to play around with setting so it was a little disappointing :(

Yea I'll have a play around with the flash and see what I can get! Thanks for the info and help! :)

Ello mank! Yeah only thing that really hits me is the strength of your background light.
Have you tried a grided snoot fired at the background at about 45degrees? I find that a subtle hit of color can be better than a flood.
A little bounce from your key light back onto the face from the left might have lifted the shadows in the eyes a little, eyes are very important, windows into the soul lol

Last edited:
Hi Simon,

Yea I thought it might be a bit over powering. I dont really have any lighting modifiers tbh and this was just a flash gun too, not a proper studio light :(

I will have a play with light power and zoom when I get some time! Thanks for the help!!

No problem, still getting to grips with my lights lol but, when i was using speedlights i made one of them drinking straw snoots real easy to build and great effect, you can of course buy them but its the fabricatior in me! Keeps tryin to get out!

Cool, might have a bash at making one then!! :D

Hi Simon,

Yea I thought it might be a bit over powering. I dont really have any lighting modifiers tbh and this was just a flash gun too, not a proper studio light :(

I will have a play with light power and zoom when I get some time! Thanks for the help!!

You can buy snoots & grids very cheaply from sellers here

Well I used a weetabix box to day to control the light for this:

In the Light by rob_mank, on Flickr

Pretty happy with the light, although kicking myself for not checking composition as she could do with being moved to the left abit to make her more central :(

care to explain abit more about how you used the weetabix box to light this as im starting to look more into lighting ect and always like to learn

Hi Nick,

Well I first fired the softbox from above and it threw the light everywhere, it wasn't really the look I wanted. I wanted to channel a strip of light that would just light up the baby and the basket, and then the background would get lost in darkness.

So the weetabix box was long and thin and allowed me to control the spill to a narrow beam of light. (I just cut a hole in the back and taped it to my flash. I then was able to control it a bit more and use the flaps on the front to make it more narrow or wider if I wanted to.

It was fired from the front as high as I could.

I will try and get a shot of the set up next time :)

Rob, fantastic photo, you should feel well proud. I'd have that printed large and taking pride of place in the house.

Rob really great shot although if I can be VERY pedantic (my fault sorry) it looks like the head is very slightly in shadow - as though the channel of light is feathering off just beyond the mouth.... Just slight though - For me the attention is usually on the brightest part of the image - here it's the bottom.

I think what would have made this a great shout would be a separation back light too a the head is just merging into the background - although that could be more to do with ikt being a web sized image.

Beatyiful though as it is I think a couple of things would have made it even better. Love the basket!

Rob, fantastic photo, you should feel well proud. I'd have that printed large and taking pride of place in the house.

Thanks John! :)

It's getting reshot this week as its not central and I'm being picky!! :LOL: Then it might get printed! :D

Rob really great shot although if I can be VERY pedantic (my fault sorry) it looks like the head is very slightly in shadow - as though the channel of light is feathering off just beyond the mouth.... Just slight though - For me the attention is usually on the brightest part of the image - here it's the bottom.

I think what would have made this a great shout would be a separation back light too a the head is just merging into the background - although that could be more to do with ikt being a web sized image.

Beatyiful though as it is I think a couple of things would have made it even better. Love the basket!

Thank you Jim, appreciate the help!! :)

I see what you mean now about the shadow. I think part of it is because she kicked her bum in the air and pushing her head forward (and her being a little too far up the basket anyway) as I did a few test shots first with a teddy to try and get the lighting right. I think I also cut the box on a slight slant as you can see how the back of the basket near her head is darker than the other side at the back. So the beam of light was a little diagonal rather than a straight horizontal beam.

Yea I see what you mean about adding a back light. I think I need to invest into another light. Would you do it the same as the keylight and channel it to control the spread?

Thanks! I'm very happy with the basket!! This shot cost me £12 in props! (£7 on the basket, and £5 on a clearance pack of wooden flooring!!) :D

Thanks John! :)

It's getting reshot this week as its not central and I'm being picky!! :LOL: Then it might get printed! :D

Thank you Jim, appreciate the help!! :)

I see what you mean now about the shadow. I think part of it is because she kicked her bum in the air and pushing her head forward (and her being a little too far up the basket anyway) as I did a few test shots first with a teddy to try and get the lighting right. I think I also cut the box on a slight slant as you can see how the back of the basket near her head is darker than the other side at the back. So the beam of light was a little diagonal rather than a straight horizontal beam.

Yea I see what you mean about adding a back light. I think I need to invest into another light. Would you do it the same as the keylight and channel it to control the spread?

Thanks! I'm very happy with the basket!! This shot cost me £12 in props! (£7 on the basket, and £5 on a clearance pack of wooden flooring!!) :D

Great idea about the flooring - Never thought of that :L I have a wooden floor but the white skirting annoys me!

When using a form of snoot (another great idea with the box :) ) you need to take a bit more care with the light position. I'm not talking from a huge amount of experience though as I too struggle to see the tiny things and only when I get back toi the PC I realise the errors I've made but making these small errors is so useful - we all learn from them. I know I'm learning from everyone here too :)

Babies and bums in the air is just what some do I think - I've a few like that lol If the bum is nearer the light it will be brighter -a tiny bit of selective darkening in Lightroom can sort that.

The backlight should be controlled a little - especially with a baby. You don't want the light flaring back and it could be just another weetabix box from the same side as your main light but behind and pointing at your subjects hhead and shoulders - maybe some trial and error.

Great job though and I think it should be printed BIG!

Cheers
Jim

I picked up a length of wood effect skirting for £1.24 too :LOL:

Also got a couple of MDF boards that are going to be wallpapered and used as backgrounds (as photography backdrops are sooo expensive!!)

Yea I agree, I dont always pick up and the small details when I review a shot on the back of the camera, but then looking on the laptop you notice these details. Hopefully it will be something I can pick up and learn with experience.

I will give the back light a go sometime this next week if I can. Thanks for the advice! (y)

I picked up a length of wood effect skirting for £1.24 too :LOL:

Also got a couple of MDF boards that are going to be wallpapered and used as backgrounds (as photography backdrops are sooo expensive!!)

Yea I agree, I dont always pick up and the small details when I review a shot on the back of the camera, but then looking on the laptop you notice these details. Hopefully it will be something I can pick up and learn with experience.

I will give the back light a go sometime this next week if I can. Thanks for the advice! (y)

Nice ideas. I do like the modern style papers and a couple of boards woule be perfect for that!

Play around with the position until you're happy you have a nice separation. Power too is important. On my last ones using a backlight it was just a bit too powerful!

All a learning experience :)

EOS_JD said:
Nice ideas. I do like the modern style papers and a couple of boards woule be perfect for that!

Play around with the position until you're happy you have a nice separation. Power too is important. On my last ones using a backlight it was just a bit too powerful!

All a learning experience :)

Don't forget that moving the flash away from its target will lower the power but give a bigger spread of light. Inverse square law

Last edited:
Don't forget that moving the flash away from its target will lower the power but give a bigger spread of light. Inverse square law

BUT that will also make the light harder

Back