Severn Beach nr. Bristol.

Edit My Images
Yes
Well, it had to happen - inspired by Hoodis recent work I packed my gear and took a drive today to try some landscape. Not great but was OK. Trouble is that it does not inspire me as portrait and street does but a nice way to spend the day with some sun on the face - though light availble did vary between clouds, hence the different looks between shots. Last one is a token HDR image.

All shot in RAW; edited in Capture One Pro and then CS2.

Thanks for looking.

9.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

6.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

I like the last mono shot, but I must say, I much prefer your portrait work!

i think you chose a difficult time of day - the light is quite harsh. that said the mono as a result is very striking with its bold lines. if you can face it again go back at sunset :)

i think you chose a difficult time of day - the light is quite harsh. that said the mono as a result is very striking with its bold lines. if you can face it again go back at sunset :)

Noted. May drop over there again in the future.

Thanks.

i love the second one, reminds me of lindisfarne, not too struck on the others, although i think the waffle type effect of the barrier could be interesting.

The mono brings out the shape of the wall compared to the colour. Whatever they say - a good day out with images to show for it as well as the suntan - or was it wind-burn.

Went back to the drawing board and re-porcessed these from RAW.

I think I could get into this -quite a pleasant experience and far removed from my usual about town bam bam bam shoot and move technique.

Best go and get some wellington boots (y)

aha!
Only just got around to commenting on these - my first initial comment was that you seem to be processing these as though they were portrait shots, which doesn't necesserily suit them so much - those two reprocessed versions are ace, though - especially the colour one, as in bringing out the colour you've also exemplified the great texture.
My favourites are the ones of "stuff" on the beach, and the two mono ones. The mono ones have ace form, and for me are the best of this lot - although what have you done to the corner of the border on the first one? :LOL:

One thing I will say is watch that depth of field, it's great to have the background thrown out of focus, but it can be distracting to have the immediate foreground OOF, too.

aha!
Only just got around to commenting on these - my first initial comment was that you seem to be processing these as though they were portrait shots, which doesn't necesserily suit them so much - those two reprocessed versions are ace, though - especially the colour one, as in bringing out the colour you've also exemplified the great texture.
My favourites are the ones of "stuff" on the beach, and the two mono ones. The mono ones have ace form, and for me are the best of this lot - although what have you done to the corner of the border on the first one? :LOL:

One thing I will say is watch that depth of field, it's great to have the background thrown out of focus, but it can be distracting to have the immediate foreground OOF, too.

Thanks Hoodi. Yep, realised that the PP should be different, hence trying again. I think that the marching ants ate into the corner of the power station shot.

As for aperture, I realised that it was out on some once I downloaded these. What F stop do you recommend if I want everything in so to speak - F8- F11? I am quite literally starting from scratch here.

Thanks.

interesting pics Pete, i like the B&W and i also like the ones that lead in strongly, good!

As for aperture, I realised that it was out on some once I downloaded these. What F stop do you recommend if I want everything in so to speak - F8- F11? I am quite literally starting from scratch here.

You probably know this, but it depends on focal length (wider = more DoF) & distance from subject (closer = less DoF).

That said, you're usually in the right ball park at F8-F13. The Depth of Field preview button is your friend, though! As is chimping :D

I love the compositions, the focal points are excellent although 1, 3 5 & 6 look a little odd to me, almost as if you have over used the shadow/highlight tool in PS? You have achieved a drama to these shots which equals your portaits, its just the processing of the coloured images that I find a bit odd to me eyes :eek: :thinking: ;)

Back