SHARE YOUR FILM SHOOTING OUTINGS HERE - Communal Thread (warning, may be picture heavy)

Nice result that Peter.

I think many yellow filters are slightly under a stop of comp , near 1/2 or 2/3.

Either way I wouldn’t fuss over forgetting to adjust for it , .
As can be seen in this case, there’s no detrimental effect ..

Tbh it’s rare I use yellow, generally orange for me which of course is two stops so less leeway if I miscalculate exposure time.

Édit, studying the image again, a stop of comp would potentially render the result overexposed i think tbh.
I think it needed the yellow to put a bit more into the featureless sky, but it'll take a few more shots to get the best out of this film. Here's another scene with the 150mm and no filter, and you can see what the sky looks like.

img925-copy-tp.jpg

Well my outing to get back into photography proper was a disaster...I have my new Honda cb500x and running in and went for a ride to the Cotsolds from Denham Bucks with my son on his 4 cylinder Suziki 150mph bike (also the model that was used for racing on the track 10 years ago). Staying off M roads and using back roads he was complaining I was too slow going around bends and missed an intial dead line for fish and chips at Stow in the wold (closed at 2 oclock).....anyway a least saw Burford, but couldn't find the famous Arlington row cottages at Bilbury and didn't find the best parts in Burton on water as I knew we were running out of time and trying to convince my son that although cloudless sky at Burton it wasn't the same at Denham as I knew it was an easterly wind and would hit Denham first with rain.....and you guessed it the lat 30 miles home was in heavy rain and got my new bike soaked (as well as myself) and didn't take one photograph.
Next week supposed be great sunny weather, have the F4 loaded and back to the cotswolds and this time he is taking his Yamaha 660R adventure bike and that should slow him down.

Last edited:
Well my outing to get back into photography proper was a disaster...I have my new Honda cb500x and running in and went for a ride to the Cotsolds from Denham Bucks with my son on his 4 cylinder Suziki 150mph bike (also the model that was used for racing on the track 10 years ago). Staying off M roads and using back roads he was complaining I was too slow going around bends and missed an intial dead line for fish and chips at Stow in the wold (closed at 2 oclock).....anyway a least saw Burford, but couldn't find the famous Arlington row cottages at Bilbury and didn't find the best parts in Burton on water as I knew we were running out of time and trying to convince my son that although cloudless sky at Burton it wasn't the same at Denham as I knew it was an easterly wind and would hit Denham first with rain.....and you guessed it the lat 30 miles home was in heavy rain and got my new bike soaked (as well as myself) and didn't take one photograph.
Next week supposed be great sunny weather, have the F4 loaded and back to the cotswolds and this time he is taking his Yamaha 660R adventure bike and that should slow him down.
Well just a small update......went back to Bibury, for shooting Arlington row, and found a back way (down a very narrow lane) and was disappointed even in April/May (about 1;00 p.m) photography is hopeless as it's swarming with tourists........but I ain't giving up and when the weather warms up will travel to Arlington row to get there 6-8 a.m.
Anyone that has been there will be amused that rather than travel back the way I come decided to cross the small narrow bridge on my motorbike (naughty) but the tourists didn't mind :cool:, at one point a baby bird crossed in front of me and perched on the hand rail, of course tourists were geting in the way taking shots of it.:D

That camera's no good, Nige, it didn't capture the stripes on the cables!
I think it's called "AI" - it's intelligent enough (artificially) to join the dots for you.
:exit:

Last edited:
Was your hernia repair ok? I've had mine done 2 weeks ago h'mm after 11 months wait.
OT I guess, but got mine in 3 months. At my wife's insistence I rang up a second time to ask if there were any cancelations. Not at the mo, I was told, but we'll keep you on the... muttering in the background... could you by any chance come in for a pre-op tomorrow? Oh yes, says I!

I had a novel film outing today, which has been sunny with blue skies. Kenilworth Castle is open free to anyone on Boxing Day, 10-12, so I decided to go there. My Christmas present to myself was a set of coloured filters, red, green and blue (*), and I took those with a tripod (!!!) and the ME loaded with FP4, to experiment with Trichromes. The idea (which is totally bonkers) is to take the same photo with red, green and blue filters, and then combine them to make a colour image from black and white film! I took 6 scenes, ie 18 frames, but unfortunately forgot to get a phone snap for you. I'll save the next 18 frames for a day with perhaps a bit more wind, maybe some scudding clouds, as these can produce some interesting rainbow effects. I hope I'll have got something similar from the people moving about, in the scenes I've taken.

Andrew Keedle has written a bit about this technique: https://www.keedlemedia.com/trichrome .

* Since I have given away my P-sized filter holder, I only have my charity shop A-sized holder. There are good strong red and green square filters available in A-size, but the blue filter is a bit weak; it's more of a colour temperature adjustment filter. The P range has a nice strong blue. So I'm not sure I'll get the proper effect.
I realise I never showed any results from this trip out, as far as I can see. It turns out the weak blue filter was... adequate for the job, given that correct colour wasn't really the effect I was going for. Here are three from that first trichrome outing...

1)
Castle 4 trichrome.jpg

Here you can see the walls of the castle, and some of the "glitch" effects, due to the sun (and other objects, like the walkers) moving between the individual frames.

2)

Castle 5 trichrome.jpg

This was my attempt at a "trichrome selfie". Maybe a bit ambitious for the first outing, specially since I forgot to mark my place so the original plan to stand slightly closer each frame (after changing the filter, winding on and setting the timer) rather fell apart.

3)

Lake 1 trichrome.jpg

I think I like this one the best, with movement in both the clouds and the water producing interesting effects.

I think the reason I didn't put the images up was that I was contemplating making a resource on trichromes, but I couldn't work out how to do it, and still have it here in F&C. I guess I should just make a thread and see if anyone can work magic on it (assuming there's any interest).

Excellent piece of work Chris! I was tempted by trichrome myself, but failed to find a filter set.

A bit of fun today. Lovely light and autumn colours meant a day out with the 6x17. Gonne a be a while before I see the fruits, but I grabbed this... Will be on Kodak Gold if I did it right!

R0000233.jpg

Last edited:
I was out again on Wednesday, this time I took my Bronica SQ-B to give it some air time, I had HP5 Plus loaded unfortunately I don't have the scans back yet but I was shooting a little Leica D-Lux Typ109 alongside set to square B&W.

020 Powder Mills (Bronica Setup) 20-1000775 PS Adj.JPG

Here's the composition I was working on (I'll upload the film shot when I get the scans back (if they are any good)) :whistle:

005 Powder Mills 05-1020050 PS Adj.JPG

I was out again on Wednesday, this time I took my Bronica SQ-B to give it some air time, I had HP5 Plus loaded unfortunately I don't have the scans back yet but I was shooting a little Leica D-Lux Typ109 alongside set to square B&W.

View attachment 408251

Here's the composition I was working on (I'll upload the film shot when I get the scans back (if they are any good)) :whistle:

View attachment 408252
I got the scans back today, Bronica SQ-B, 40mm P lens, HP5 Plus.

006 Powdermills 06-000009 PS Adj.JPG

Just AAMOI for members living in west London who have just driven by...something that probably wouldn't happen today with cash strapped councils was when a place called Greenford decided to built a park with hills about 12-14 years ago o_O, great fun for testing your lenses (also for kids esp running up the hills). When I get around to it and with my new 300mm Canon lens and with a Canon 2xs extender and a clear day (never seem to get excellent for visiblity)...... will take some more long distanced shots.

Top left London with a hidden gem Ensinor 24mm.
1XPqgE5.jpg

Ensonor 24mm
OYM19dl.jpg

I love your Dartmoor photos, Paul @Topsy ...

Don't want to keep boring people with the back story, but I've only just blown the dust off my old film camera, And, because I only ever had one lens for it, have had a bit of 'GAS' and bought a few (ok, seven) new lenses.

So most of the shots I've taken recently have been to 'test' those new lenses.

I did manage to get a few nice shots (well, I think they're nice) out of these tests.

All of these were taken on my way back from work over the course of a week or so. I tried to walk a different route each time to give me something new to shoot.

All Souls Church, Langham Place, London

All Souls Church, Langham Place, London by Kell, on Flickr

All Souls, Langham Place by Kell, on Flickr

I have a weird thing at the minute about neon in B&W

Neon in B&W by Kell, on Flickr

Royal Academy of Music, Marylebone

Music brings us together - Royal Academy of Music, London by Kell, on Flickr

Stick no Bills by Kell, on Flickr

Treats

Nighthawks 2024 by Kell, on Flickr

Camden

Pentax P30 + XP2 by Kell, on Flickr