Sharpening Issue

Edit My Images
Yes
Hello all

I have been informed several times in the last month that I am getting bad sharpening artifacts in my images..

After banging my head against a wall for several days I have revisited my workflow and tried to resolve the issue

I have posted two new unbordered images in the thread linked below, could someone or many have a look and see if I have resolved the issue.

http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=111798

I have had to resort to wearing my glasses the last couple of days so i think it is time for a eye check again...

Many thanks

Nigel

Nigel, that does look better to me. Did you just export from Aperture on those two without using BorderFX ?

Looking at the shot with the "triangles" there's a huge difference in file size between the old and new versions.

v2.0 is 59185 bytes
v2.2 is 261469 bytes - around 4x the size.

I suspect a large part of the problem is jpg compression rather than sharpening.

Nigel, that does look better to me. Did you just export from Aperture on those two without using BorderFX ?

I must admit I did loose my rag with Aperture yesterday and I did the two un-bordered shots in lightroom just to see if it was me or aperture.

I have spent last night digging in to my Aperture workflow and think I have resolved the issue.

Here is a new version

109068987.jpg

Here is yesterdays for comparison

109017345.jpg

I think I have cracked it..

It was in the camera raw module it had somehow gone crazy on the sharpening and was applying it to all file.

Strange..

Nigel

Looking at the shot with the "triangles" there's a huge difference in file size between the old and new versions.

v2.0 is 59185 bytes
v2.2 is 261469 bytes - around 4x the size.

I suspect a large part of the problem is jpg compression rather than sharpening.

Could be on those ones as mentioned they where outputted from Lightroom after a temper tantrum with Aperture if you have a look at the previous post I have included a new and the original Aperture images.

Cheers

Nigel

That certainly looks to have fixed it Nigel, good catch.

Could be on those ones as mentioned they where outputted from Lightroom after a temper tantrum with Aperture if you have a look at the previous post I have included a new and the original Aperture images.

The new aperture one is still double the size of the original. With your corrected workflow how does it look when output to 60kb or vice versa?

Looks better. But I definitely think that a lot of that issue might have been jpeg compression related - perhaps you did sharpening after converting to jpeg, thus enhancing the lossy nature of jpegs. Anyway - you've fixed it now :)

Back