Sharpest mid-range FIXED PRIME lens for NIkon

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys,
I wanted your suggestions on the sharpest out there mid range Fixed lens for Nikon for landscape photography

Really appreciate it. Thank you all!

Last edited:
Depends what you mean by mid-range: price or focal length. IMHO, on either front, you can't beat the Nikkor 50mm f1.4G. I've used one for years and it's absolutely fine. New, they are about 450 quid but if you go for the f1.8 they are half that. Used versions are dirt cheap; WEX have a 1.4 used for £189 and an f1.8 for £132.

Another vote for the 50/1.8. Been tempted to upgrade mine to the 1.4 version twice but have been talked out of it by 2 different salesmen. If I wanted/needed the extra 1/3 (or so) stop of speed and/or like the shallow DoF (I'd go for the f/1.2 version if I did!), it might be worth it but for landscapes, the f/1.8 is probably the best option, especially on cost effectiveness!

Hi guys,
I wanted your suggestions on the sharpest out there mid range Fixed lens for Nikon for landscape photography

Really appreciate it. Thank you all!
depends on what you mean again by mid range ?

What focal length do you want?

price and weight no object within reason then either the sigma 1.4 arts or Nikon 1.4E’s and MF haveca look at the bright Milvus distagons.

Landscape- I tend to use anything from 20 or below to mid tele but mostly in the 24-35 range - which is why I normally use a zoom - stopped down to get DoF not too much difference from most mid range primes but nothing to touch the Milvus 25/1.4.

That 50/1.8 G is solid performer and cheap. I have the Z 50/1.8s - very good but it gets used only when I need that 1.8 and I would prefer a brighter and wider prime but inexpensive ( no such thing )

If you want wider and sharp have a look at the Sigma 1.4 arts like the 28/1.4 but I think they are all expensive used about £600. The 28/1.4 E is more but suposed to be very good

Unfortunately Nikon seems to think the market for a good bright and not hugely expensive 28mm is limited.

There is the 28/1.8G which is maybe half the price (used) of the Sigma but seems to split the punters: CA, field curvature, focus breathing and weak edges commonly quoted. Zilch for a Z user thats bright - have to go wider to 24/1.8 s line

I am still using, if I want just a general purpose light carry my old 24 and 28 /2.8 ai-s CRC’s - known to be verysharp in their day but things move on.

Last edited:
Absolutely it makes the Nikon 50 1.4 look really really soft.

The 40 art is a reference lens, even at 400% in Lightroom it’s super sharp.

I have one, even at 1.4 it is solid in the edges - not even my medium format stuff is as good wide open. I also have the 28mm which isn't far off.

Probably worth doing with big discounts not typical of a UK supplier.

Last edited:
I've yet to come across a modern lens that isn't sharp enough - if you put the camera on a tripod and use a remote release.

I have one, even at 1.4 it is solid in the edges - not even my medium format stuff is as good wide open. I also have the 28mm which isn't far off.

Probably worth doing with big discounts not typical of a UK supplier.
I had one and agree even in extreme corner at 1.4 it’s unbeatable. I sold it because it was just too damn heavy. I also have the Nikon 28e which is also a very good lens. Why I needed to buy the a Tamron 35 1.4 I don’t know but I’d say it’s every bit as good as the Sigma 40 but in a slightly wider format.

I’ve yet to come across a beer that isn’t drinkable

You never drank in our local pub just before it closed for good then! :) Their opening hours (before permanent closure) were such that they closed at 6pm on a Sunday and didn't open again until Wednesday evening -- it was best not go in too early on the Wednesday so you didn't get those first two pints that had been sitting in the lines for three days, ew!

I have a sigma 35mm Art that is astounding, I use it as a walkabout lens on my D750 quite often. Weights a tonne though.

I have the 24mm too and it is also tack sharp.

Don't do this to me....
To be fair I shoot mainly portraits now and the Tamron 35 was bought not just for its resolution but it’s character which it has in spades. The Sigma 40 didn’t have as much ‘character’ in its rendering hence another reason why I sold it but I do regret selling but I also have the 20mm 1.4 Olympus for my m4/3 so there’s little point in me buying another Sigma.

Back