Sheep photography exhibition in Hawes

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I first met MJ Peakman, Melissa, a couple of years ago at Gargrave show when she had not long started on her project documenting the Teeswater Sheep Breeders Association for a year. That year got somewhat extended as she photographed all aspects of the annual cycle of sheep breeding, showing and sales, but over 100 of the photographs are now on show at the Dales Countryside Museum in their spacious round gallery. Also on show is the wall and wearable textile art of Yvonne Le Mare. I attended the opening last week and the exhibition works really well.

If you like pictures of sheep or documentary photography, or felted textiles, it's worth a visit. :) There are parking and entrance fees at the museum.:(

DSC_2519.jpg

DJL35202.jpg

DJL35260.jpg

I first met MJ Peakman, Melissa, a couple of years ago at Gargrave show when she had not long started on her project documenting the Teeswater Sheep Breeders Association for a year. That year got somewhat extended as she photographed all aspects of the annual cycle of sheep breeding, showing and sales, but over 100 of the photographs are now on show at the Dales Countryside Museum in their spacious round gallery. Also on show is the wall and wearable textile art of Yvonne Le Mare. I attended the opening last week and the exhibition works really well.

If you like pictures of sheep or documentary photography, or felted textiles, it's worth a visit. :) There are parking and entrance fees at the museum.:(

View attachment 270807

View attachment 270804

View attachment 270806

Dave, have you come across the work of Lucy Saggers? She photographs rural life in the Yorkshire Dales, and is coming to do a talk at Lancashire Monochrome in Leyland next week (Sunday 15th March).

Dave, have you come across the work of Lucy Saggers? She photographs rural life in the Yorkshire Dales, and is coming to do a talk at Lancashire Monochrome in Leyland next week (Sunday 15th March).
The name didn't ring a bell, but looking at her site I have seen it before. (y)

I want to know what this sheep bias is all about. It's discrimination; that's what it is...

Black bullock in herd P7150016.JPG

:naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

I can see a canvas print or two - are the others on foamboard hung with velcro tabs?

I can see a canvas print or two - are the others on foamboard hung with velcro tabs?

The majority are matt finish prints on PVC. I did try to see how they were attached to the wall and expect velcro has been used.

It was inevitable in the current situation but this exhibition has closed. Two years of photography, hustling for a space, months of preparing for the show and it lasted less than a fortnight.

I'm glad I made the effort to go to the opening now rather than put imy visit off until April. The 28th of February seems a long time ago and a world away. All I had to worry about then was the rain and flooded roads on my way home.

Shame, I never did get there.

Some of the pictures will be appearing on-line at the museum website I believe. In the meantime I'm trying to encourage a zine production. :giggle:

I have been Facebook friends with Melissa for a few years and yes, both her and her husband put a huge amount of effort in to the exhibition and it was not without a lot of meticulous planning too. This current situation has certainly affected a lot of things this year.

It was inevitable in the current situation but this exhibition has closed. Two years of photography, hustling for a space, months of preparing for the show and it lasted less than a fortnight.

I'm glad I made the effort to go to the opening now rather than put my visit off until April. The 28th of February seems a long time ago and a world away. All I had to worry about then was the rain and flooded roads on my way home.
Museum reopening 1st August, exhibition running until 16th. Booking essential and restrictions inevitably in place. http://www.dalescountrysidemuseum.org.uk/reopening-safely/

Back