North England Sheffield

Name
Rich
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

Planning a day in Sheffield next month and wondered if anyone local or otherwise has any ideas on places to visit with photo taking in mind

So far the possible agenda includes, Kelham Island, Emergency Services Museum, Victoria Quay and Cathedral, any other ideas.
All suggestions welcome, no interest in "Street", but pretty much anything else considered, will be travelling by public transport

Thread here https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/sheffield-16th-november.664449/ should anyone like to come along

Thank you for your anticipated assistance
Rich

Sheffield Cemetery off the back of Ecclesall Road, Beautiful and creepy! (Most 80 number buses will get you there or walking is about 15 minutes).
Head down the Canal or River Don (get quite a bit of industry around there as you head towards Meadowhall)
The area around Forgemasters (again industrial, x78 bus)

Thank you Richard, will have a look at your suggestions on Google

Have you considered heading out into the countryside near Sheffield (not sure if your driving)

Have you considered heading out into the countryside near Sheffield (not sure if your driving)
Thanks, but that's not possible. We are travelling by train, one of us from Liverpool and the other from Cambridge (or thereabouts!)

Thanks, but that's not possible. We are travelling by train, one of us from Liverpool and the other from Cambridge (or thereabouts!)

To be fair the 272 bus takes you out to Fox House (its Sheffield so would just need a day ticket), nice pub and places to have a wander round. Padley Gorge is nice, also Longshaw Estate is NT and within a couple of minutes walk.

Know Fox House, Padley Gorge, the bacon butties at Grindleford Station (yummy!) and that area reasonably well.
We went to Padley Gorge last time. It's just about driveable from here, and we've been several times. Rich went on the train as he doesn't drive.
Neither of us have been to Sheffield, so fancy a look around the place

Take the tram to Malin Bridge and walk up the Rivelin valley.Nice café there too.

Here's another vote for the canal walk between Sheffield (begins at Victoria Quays) and Meadowhall. The Walk along the River Don is also nice but not as easy to follow.

Sheffield Botanical Gardens is nice, the number 6 bus (usually bright pink) towards Millhouses Tesco will drop you off at the top entrance to the gardens.

If you head out towards the Norton area of Sheffield there is Graves Park. It has a pretty decent animal farm area.

Kelham Island is a nice area but inside the museum is pretty dark. There is also Western Park museum near to the Uni of Sheffield with landscaped grounds and the Uni of Sheffield Arts Tower nearby. Not sure if it's still possible but I believe they used to allow the public in to ride the Paternoster lifts.

If you are limiting yourself to Sheffield the best ticket to buy is the Sheffield Citywide. It lets you use all bus services and the tram network. If you plan to go outside of Sheffield you can get a South Yorkshire connect ticket which works the same.

Not sure if it's still possible but I believe they used to allow the public in to ride the Paternoster lifts.
I've ridden on one of them before HSE started banning them. Used to have one in our Head Office in Manchester. A bit scary the first time, but remarkably effective.

Thanks all for the suggestions, intend to stick to the city itself and apart from the transport there are also time constraints too.

I've been in one of those lifts too, they had them in the LSE where my work took me every so often

I've ridden on one of them before HSE started banning them. Used to have one in our Head Office in Manchester. A bit scary the first time, but remarkably effective.

Lived here all my life and never been in. Which day is it your up?

To be fair the 272 bus takes you out to Fox House (its Sheffield so would just need a day ticket), nice pub and places to have a wander round. Padley Gorge is nice, also Longshaw Estate is NT and within a couple of minutes walk.
Really nice food in there :)

Good morning Rich.
Just the two of us?
Itinerary (That's a posh word for it) still as before?

Morning Frank

Yes its looking like just a duo for this one, same itinerary sounds fine to me.

Hoping for some half decent light for that cathedral window, forecast is not looking too bad at this stage

Just need to sort out a meeting place now?

See you there, I should arrive approx 09.50, but don't think that line from Retford is too hot on timekeeping

Interested in what you've decided on for your Itinerary lads?

Back