North England Sheffield?

Name
Gary
Edit My Images
Yes
I will find myself in Sheffield next week for some work related stuff. Can anyone suggest any good (and safe) places to shoot? I am in the city centre.

For landscape, the obvious choice is to head out into the Peak District if you have time. If you have your own transport then it's probably no more than half-an-hour from the city centre to get to the gritstone edges and tors of the north-east part of the park. Alternatively you can get a train - get off at Grindleford and you're literally at the bottom of Padley Gorge. Walk from there to get to Bolehills Quarry, or further on to Carl Wark or Higger Tor. Alternatively walk along the River Derwent to Hathersage. You can also get off the train at further stops such as Hope or Edale for other locations (Castleton, Mam Tor, Kinder Scout etc.)
Heading northwards from the city gets you to the farmland and reservoirs at the heads of the Rivelin and Loxley valleys which can provide nice locations.

The Kelham Island area of the city is quite nice for urban stuff. It's within walking distance of the city centre and is a formar industrial area that is currently undergoing a housing boom - loads of new buildings and cafes / bars / restaurants among the older industrial structures.

I wander around the city centre fairly frequently with my camera and have never felt unsafe, and have never been acosted in any way (other than the occasional person who is interested in what I'm doing - mainly if I'm using a TLR or something that evokes curiosity). I guess the usual caveats should be advised - don't flash expensive kit about and if somewhere feels dodgy, move on.

Last edited:
For landscape, the obvious choice is to head out into the Peak District if you have time. If you have your own transport then it's probably no more than half-an-hour from the city centre to get to the gritstone edges and tors of the north-east part of the park. Alternatively you can get a train - get off at Grindleford and you're literally at the bottom of Padley Gorge. Walk from there to get to Bolehills Quarry, or further on to Carl War or Higger Tor. Alternatively walk along the River Derwent to Hathersage. You can also get off the train at further stops such as Hope or Edale for other locations (Castleton, Mam Tor, Kinder Scout etc.)
Heading northwards from the city gets you to the farmland and reservoirs at the heads of the Rivelin and Loxley valleys which can provide nice locations.

The Kelham Island area of the city is quite nice for urban stuff. It's within walking distance of the city centre and is a formar industrial area that is currently undergoing a housing boom - loads of new buildings and cafes / bars / restaurants among the older industrial structures.

I wander around the city centre fairly frequently with my camera and have never felt unsafe, and have never been acosted in any way (other than the occasional person who is interested in what I'm doing - mainly if I'm using a TLR or something that evokes curiosity). I guess the usual caveats should be advised - don't flash expensive kit about and if somewhere feels dodgy, move on.
Thanks Nige!

I knew the area quite well at one time, particularly Edale / Hope , but having been out of Yorkshire for a couple of decades I’m somewhat rusty at recalling what is where etc.

You’re the first person I thought of when I saw this thread….. I didn’t mean to cause you ´work’, nonethess thanks for your input ;)

Thanks Nige!

I knew the area quite well at one time, particularly Edale / Hope , but having been out of Yorkshire for a couple of decades I’m somewhat rusty at recalling what is where etc.

You’re the first person I thought of when I saw this thread….. I didn’t mean to cause you ´work’, nonethess thanks for your input ;)

No worries. Happy to try and help. :)

Back