Shen Hao 617 camera availability?

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all, having not really been active using any of my gear since a bit before the pandemic, I'm now looking to get back into things, I was looking for a Shen Hao 617 field camera to replace some 5x4 and 8x10 gear I'll be moving on.
It used to be possible to pick these up from ffordes, or there were a few around second hand, but all I've seen are cameras direct from china?
Any ideas on where I might be able to source one without the trouble with international shipping, customs etc. and also where might be good places to sell off some of my large format gear to fund it?

Hi all, having not really been active using any of my gear since a bit before the pandemic, I'm now looking to get back into things, I was looking for a Shen Hao 617 field camera to replace some 5x4 and 8x10 gear I'll be moving on.
It used to be possible to pick these up from ffordes, or there were a few around second hand, but all I've seen are cameras direct from china?
Any ideas on where I might be able to source one without the trouble with international shipping, customs etc. and also where might be good places to sell off some of my large format gear to fund it?

I seem to recall Nik and Trick used to sell these so they would import directly and be a UK retailer. May be worth a look?

Also, I am VERY jealous of that camera. I watch a lot of Nick Carvers videos using his and they are just beautiful.

Try selling your LF gear here to see if there's any interest? If not, any of the analogue retailers would take them from you, i am sure.

West Yorkshire
Real Camera
Nik and Trick

More are available. Probably best you don't tempt me with 10x8 though.

Ahh, amazing. I hadn't seen Nik and Trick so that super helpful. Now I know how much I need to make from my other gear too, so that's perfect.

I might have a look at chucking some of the gear on the classified on here, not sure there's a huge appetite for 8x10 stuff though (although that was 5 years ago now!)

Ahh, amazing. I hadn't seen Nik and Trick so that super helpful. Now I know how much I need to make from my other gear too, so that's perfect.

I might have a look at chucking some of the gear on the classified on here, not sure there's a huge appetite for 8x10 stuff though (although that was 5 years ago now!)

Glad to help.

I would love to get into 10x8 but I really like colour photography and when colour negative is IRO £350 for ten sheets before development, i just can't go there.

Yeah, colour 8x10 is somewhere I never dared to tread. Picked up a single box of transparency that's been in the freezer ever since I got it, but never brave enough to go for it. I've seen a couple and they're absolutely spectacular though

Ffords up in Scotland also import them and they have a couple of Shen Hot in stock but not the 617.

I did enquire about getting one a couple years ago but never did get one.

Back