Shenyang - A Buddhist Temple

Edit My Images
Yes
After the New Year's Eve fireworks, six or seven hours of constant explosions from every part of the compass, we had the Spring Festival dumplings. The next morning, we went to two Buddhist temples. Here are some images from the first one.

#1 - to give an idea of how crowded the temple was

3279555422_0f70a9d84a_o.jpg

#2 - to cure your ills, rub the bit of your body that gives you pain then rib the same bit on the horse

3278734055_e55fe87638_o.jpg

#3 - throw a coin that lands in the basket at the top and you'll have good luck all the year

3278734205_6fddf0f18a_o.jpg

#4 - a priest, I think

3278734377_90c94393a4_o.jpg

#5 - a man at prayer

3279556022_97a3e65623_o.jpg

#6 - three sticks is normal, then you toss them on the fire

3279556186_1c4372c5f9_o.jpg

Thanks for looking

really like #5 has something for me, yummy (y)

really like #5 has something for me, yummy (y)

Thanks for the kind comments. #5 is my pick from the visit to that temple, it seems to me that it encapsulates all that such a visit should mean to a believer.

These are very good Russell, #6 is my fave. Would have liked to see the person's face in #2 though.

Very interesting set, #5 and 6 for me.

These are very good Russell, #6 is my fave. Would have liked to see the person's face in #2 though.

Thanks Marc for the kind words. I did try to get one with the face of the person in #2 but failed. I decided to go for the mystery shot, a mistake.

Very interesting set, #5 and 6 for me.

Thanks Richard for the kind words, #5 is my favourite and #6 was a last minute inclusion to show what they did with the sticks. They also take their ills wrapped up in a yellow envelope and the priest blesses the people and they then throw their ills on the fire.

A great set Russell, really interesting stuff, #6 being the standout fav, but they all have interest and are well shot (y)

Thanks Yv for the encouragement. I do like the effect in #6 from the fire.

Good shooting Russell. I like the last pair. I can see why you'd have luck all year around if you got the coin in the basket... You'd have to be really lucky to manage that in the first place :D

Wow what a fantastic place to go, not keen on 2 but the rest are great, would love to see more as we have been thinking of booking a wendy wu tour to china for our 25th wedding aniversary next year. Brill (y)
John

Looks like a great place to visit and photograph. No 5 for me too has something special(y)(y). Look forward to seeing more(y)

As a set with the descriptions they tell a great story...but I concur number 5 is a cracker

Hope your having a good trip Russell, and a nice set there with again 5 and 6 being my favourites of the bunch

Good shooting Russell. I like the last pair. I can see why you'd have luck all year around if you got the coin in the basket... You'd have to be really lucky to manage that in the first place :D

Thanks John for the kind words. My GLW tells me she got her first coin in the basket, the lucky bit doesn't work as she was in hospital with bronchitis a week later.

Wow what a fantastic place to go, not keen on 2 but the rest are great, would love to see more as we have been thinking of booking a wendy wu tour to china for our 25th wedding aniversary next year. Brill (y)
John

Many thanks and this is not a very photogenic city by Chinese standards. Shenyang is an industrial city in the North East of China. It is one of the ten most polluted cities in China. I would recommend Xi'an, Beijing and Shanghai as the most photogenic places I have been - and in that order. I'll post some threads from both Xi'an and Shanghai later in the week.

Looks like a great place to visit and photograph. No 5 for me too has something special(y)(y). Look forward to seeing more(y)

Thanks BRASH, I've got a few more threads from Shenyang to come. Then it's Xi'an (including the Terracotta Army) and Shanghai. Coming later this week.

As a set with the descriptions they tell a great story...but I concur number 5 is a cracker

Many thanks, #5 is the best for me - just captures the moment and emotion for me.

Hope your having a good trip Russell, and a nice set there with again 5 and 6 being my favourites of the bunch

Thanks Mark and we're back. It's taken a long time to process the images. I started with 2,300 images and have ditched 800 of them. #5 just edges #6 for me.

Hi Russell,
I hope you'd rubed the horse everywhere and thrown coins to that basket to flush.
:wave:

Hi Russell,
I hope you'd rubed the horse everywhere and thrown coins to that basket to flush.
:wave:

I just rubbed the head, it's where I have the most ills.

Good stuff. No. 6 looks great :)

Thanks very much. It gives some idea of the intensity that goes into this ritual for the first day of the Spring Festival. The place was heaving and the people believed in what they were doing.

Welcome back Russell. Looks like you had a geat time. Loving these photographs. No 5 hits a particular note with me but they are all very good. Exposure, composition, colour, detail are all spot on. Each picture tells a story and grabs the interest. Never been to China so really enjoyable viewing :clap:

Welcome back Russell. Looks like you had a geat time. Loving these photographs. No 5 hits a particular note with me but they are all very good. Exposure, composition, colour, detail are all spot on. Each picture tells a story and grabs the interest. Never been to China so really enjoyable viewing :clap:

Thanks for the welcome and the very kind words Maureen. #5 is my pick, you and your camera should go to China, it's unlike any other place I've been.

Back