East Anglia Shingle Street

Edit My Images
Yes
having seen lots of photos and videos of Shingle Street I’m after some advice please. Reading articles from newspapers it suggests parking by the beachbeach in the hamlet itself then walking along the beach. Is there anywhere specific or is there another access route to the beach from Bawdsey for instance that would avoid leaving a lot of footprints in the beach? Does the high/low tide make a massive difference to the beach. I’m aware on large parts of the East Coast the retreating tide leaves acres of beach, but the shingle appears steep and not necessarily such a problem?

by the beachbeach in the hamlet itself then walking along the beach. Is there anywhere specific or is there another access route to the beach from Bawdsey for instance that would avoid leaving a lot of footprints in the beach? Does the high/low tide make a massive difference to the beach. I’m aware on large parts of the East Coast the retreating tide leaves acres of beach
Repetition of 'beach'! You obviously shouldn't have had that drink before coming on. My turn to speak for a minute ...

Last edited:
having seen lots of photos and videos of Shingle Street I’m after some advice please. Reading articles from newspapers it suggests parking by the beachbeach in the hamlet itself then walking along the beach. Is there anywhere specific or is there another access route to the beach from Bawdsey for instance that would avoid leaving a lot of footprints in the beach? Does the high/low tide make a massive difference to the beach. I’m aware on large parts of the East Coast the retreating tide leaves acres of beach, but the shingle appears steep and not necessarily such a problem?

I know a bit of the Suffolk coast but not this area at all well. The OS map shows a car park almost on the coast east of Bawdsey. Part of the Suffolk Coast Path goes from this car park to (and beyond) Shingle Street so it looks possible to park at Bawdsey and walk it. Its about 4 miles there and back. The map indicates the high and low water marks are pretty close together but difficult to tell the impact until you are there.

If you decide on this walk just hope there isn't a NE or E wind at the time. It can be perishing out there at the wrong time.

Dave

Hi Gordon, there's a small parking area to park before the houses. Grid ref 52°02'09.1"N 1°27'13.2"E or very nearby.
Park there and walk over the shingle bank and its all in front of you to admire and walk about, with the small white bungalows to the left and big white house to the right. Its a little tough walking about the shingle so good boots or wellies are recommended.

The tide shouldn't cause you any concerns albeit common sense is applied :naughty: but at low tide there are banks which rise out of the sea and can be good. Probably best to go during high tide receding and watch it all develop if you have plenty of time although its very exposed out there. I don't know whether you can walk from Bawdsey though?
Give us a shout if you need any more info.

Back