Shiny's 2024 52 Challenge

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
Yes
This might be a hard year or it might be the best yet -- medical diagnosis in two weeks -- but in any event, here I go again. Going to try harder this time and try to do all the tech challenges.

Week 1. Close to Home. Close to home in two ways, one is that this cemetery is just around the corner from me and two is that I am now in my 70th year on this planet and cemeteries really are a bit too close to home for me now.

Close to Home by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice lighting, interesting take on the theme. Just a few years into my 60s so I can relate. We still have tons of TP52s in us though. Bring 'em on I say!! Cheers!
I'm with the two of you and I'm sure more to follow in the comments to come. I'm in my 60s and just read somewhere the male life expectancy is mid 70's. Don't seem so far any more. But I'll be damned if I just give in. Suck that marrow out of life and enjoy it.

I like the composition and the fact that it's the only new, high polished, modern stone contrasted against all the old markers. Well done

Last edited:
I'm with the two of you and I'm sure more to follow in the comments to come. I'm in my 60s and just read somewhere the male life expectancy is mid 70's. Don't seem so far any more. But I'll be damned if I just give in. Suck that marrow out of life and enjoy it.

I like the composition and the fact that it's the only new, high polished, modern stone contrasted against all the old markers. Well done

I think we might be quite an ageing population on here, it would be interesting to know the average age of regular posters.

Last edited:
I'm loving the high contrast B&W, leading lines and the path. Great work

A great take on the close to home theme and I know what you mean as I'm also knocking on a bit.
A nice contrasty B&W image for the hard theme, been a while since I was down that neck of the woods.

I'm loving the high contrast B&W, leading lines and the path. Great work
It's the first time I've used one of the LR presets and I'm quite pleased with the result. I think one has to choose ones subjects very carefully though.
Very nicely composed!

"And winter's dregs made desolate
the weakening eye of day" springs (no pun intended) to mind.
Ah, Thomas Hardy in dark(ling) mood
Nice composition and a good conversion.
Thank you for taking the time to comment.
A great take on the close to home theme and I know what you mean as I'm also knocking on a bit.
I think many of us are here.
A nice contrasty B&W image for the hard theme, been a while since I was down that neck of the woods.
I don't go often enough now one of my dogs is too old to go far.

I am now in my 70th year on this planet and cemeteries really are a bit too close to home for me now.
I chuckled at this. I remember being at a funeral where some youngling was saying to another that "he had a good innings" whilst the older (60+) generation regarded them with a degree of acidity. My innings is far from over!

It's a great image Martin. I do like how the light falls on that grave at the forefront of the frame, almost picking it out of the shade.

As for "hard", I love this sort of photography so I'm biased. Love the composition and love the hard contrast. (y)

Snappers. Not a quality picture but it's the first time my Amaryllis has flowered. The flower is bright red and about the size of a hand.

P1310002 by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Neat and tidy. A bit ironic really since if they were going to completely neat and tidy, they'd be back in the trolley store, not hanging around in the corner of a car park.

Neat and Tidy by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice pics, and you were brave getting the water pic - I think that would end with a splash if I tried it!

Soft: My dog Juno, she is soft furred, soft-hearted and lying -- yet again -- on my soft bed! Yes, I made the bed this morning -- not that you'd know it after she's had a go!

Soft by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice catch ups. I rather like your water shot, it's an interesting compostion.

Filthy -- To be honest, it wasn't that filthy, unless you got very close, but I'll bet it was distinctly grubby in there somewhere.

Filthy by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Whole [of the road]. Someone has managed to convince the council [of Exeter] that the entire road should be theirs and theirs alone.

Whole by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Hidden (face). Just off-camera, to the right, is a sign saying 'Do not feed the pigeons in this area' -- so that worked then.

Hidden by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Nice one and fits. Pity you didn’t get said sign in the shot!

Nice one and fits. Pity you didn’t get said sign in the shot!
Only noticed it when I'd got home. It is in the original picture but half covered and puts the main subject too far to the left.

Good shots to catch up. The road is comical as are most councils, unless their decisions affect you negatively.

Good set to catch up. The Whole shot really made me laugh!

Back