Ships in the Night

I like that, nice light on the water, and yes a crop to the right would make it better, but a great shot.

Fantastic sky and reflections. Looks great just as it is to me. I think that rule of thirds thing isn't always appropriate, but that's just my opinion.
I'm guessing you already lifted the shadow detail on the ship as far as poss; must have been pretty dark, yes ?

Yes it was quite dark, I have pushed the shadows as far as possible, any more and it becomes a noisy mess.

That's nice. I think a small crop to avoid it being very central would improve the overall image?

yes use the sky to advantage as it holds a lot more information than the sea

cheers
geoff

Really nice colour Chris. My suggestion would be to level the horizon, it is slightly off. Shame you can't increase the light on the side of the ship, I feel this would help but certainly still a very nice picture. :)

Jeff.

My kind of shot, great lighting.

Firstly Chris, this is an excellent portrait of a ship which far exceeds my normal record shots.

The other thing I like about it is that so much can be read into it. Is she speeding into port to make the tide? Or is she heading for the open sea and hurrying to get back into her natural element? Or (put in your own thought).

Does "Hamburg Süd" mean that it comes from Hamburg, Germany?

Hi, Berliner,

Hamburg-Sud is the short form of Hamburg Südamerikanische Dampfschiffahrts-Gesellschaft (Hamburg - South America Steamship Company or Hamburg South America Line) it was founded by a group of merchants in Hamburg in 1871. I think it is now part of Rudolf A. Oetker KG

The Santa Clara was built in 2010 she is 300 metres long and 85,676 gross tons.

Chris P

Lovely Jubley

Back