Shipwrecks - Fleetwood

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Headed out early on Saturday, I've not shot anything properly yet this year, so it was about time. Went for the shipwrecks again at Fleetwood, as per usual, muddy, wet and a soggy cycle home... so went quite moody.

Only had chance to set up one shot before the rain set in...

Single exposure 1/6s // 0.9 hard GND

fleetwood_shipwrecks_square_bw
by D_M_J, on Flickr

Typically, just as I slipped in the 10-stop filter, it starting raining hard. Had to let it finish, then packed up quick.

Single exposure 4 minutes // 0.9 hard GND // big stopper

fleetwood_shipwrecks
by D_M_J, on Flickr

Thanks for looking, comments welcome....

Cheers,
David

Great use of the filters there and a great set, love the shapes of the wrecks there, looks a super area for a good shoot.

Great set. You have really captured/created a strong and mysterious atmosphere which is very appropriate for the subject.

A couple of the best images of these wrecks that I've seen. Nice work.

Thanks guys, comments much appreciated.

It is a great location, that I plan on revisiting quite a lot this year, for more shots and some timelapse/filming... too many ideas not enough time. ;)

Here's a little phone snap I took once setup and while waiting for a shot...

fleetwood_wrecks_setup
by D_M_J, on Flickr

Cheers,
David

#2 for me due to the longer exposure and landscape format.

That said I really like the composition of your "little phone snap". Obviously the quality has been lost especially in the sky and you'd need to lose the bike and camera gear but the addition of the third boat sets it off quite nicely. Well worth a trip back across the mud for.

Great work, really like these mate!
You know, ive lived in Blackpool all my life and didnt know these even existed... must google at once!

How did you gain access to this area to get close ups of these recks. I went few months ago and was looking for fleetwood marsh nature reserve to gain access, but every where I looked was really inaccessible please advise cheers

#2 for me due to the longer exposure and landscape format.

That said I really like the composition of your "little phone snap". Obviously the quality has been lost especially in the sky and you'd need to lose the bike and camera gear but the addition of the third boat sets it off quite nicely. Well worth a trip back across the mud for.

Thanks, I was wandering around with the phone looking for compositions while waiting (keeping warm), unfortunately the rain stopped play sooner than I thought... but its another shot to add to the long list. :D

Great work, really like these mate!
You know, ive lived in Blackpool all my life and didnt know these even existed... must google at once!

Thanks! I'm the same, whole life in Cleveleys, only found out about them last year. Well worth a visit... might even go back this weekend.

How did you gain access to this area to get close ups of these recks. I went few months ago and was looking for fleetwood marsh nature reserve to gain access, but every where I looked was really inaccessible please advise cheers

Hi, just head right to the end of Jameson Rd (off Fleetwood Rd), takes you right to the nature reserve...

Cheers,
David

Once you're on the nature park you just need to go down to the river. It's easy enough but be prepared to get muddy. I've actually been inside the wrecks so it isn't that difficult. :)

Careful.. there's quicksand here when it's very wet (ask me how I know :))

Click for bigger

Capture.JPG

Both nice shots I prefer #2 the wrecks have got a lot more derelict since last time I was there, there should be easier access to them now as theres a new housing development quite close in fact over looking them now

Last edited:
^^ Thanks Dave. Its a housing development that ruins a few good angles ;)

I was back again this weekend for a couple of hours, trying some more compositions. Probably best I don't start a new thread each time, I'll just post some extras here...

Both are 3 shot panos with a couple of GND filters stacked.

Shipwrecks_Panorama01
by D_M_J, on Flickr

Shipwrecks_Panorama02
by D_M_J, on Flickr

Would be grateful for any thoughts on these as well.

Cheers,
David

I really like them mate, and it's inspired me to get my ass thee today, was just looking back over this in hope I haven't shot the exact same compositions! I'm looking forward to downloading them soon, but sadly I had a pretty poor sky. I will return!

I really like them mate, and it's inspired me to get my ass thee today, was just looking back over this in hope I haven't shot the exact same compositions! I'm looking forward to downloading them soon, but sadly I had a pretty poor sky. I will return!

Thanks mate! I look forward to seeing your take on them. I've returned a couple of times since I posted these, to get some timelapse sequences, but the grey skies/high wind affected me too. Fingers crossed again for this weekend.

Back