weekly Shirleyr's 52 ~ 2016 ~ Week 52 ~ Celebration

Sadly, I dodntmanage to get up to town to see the poppies, but I loved the whole idea.

Your shot captures the whole essence of the idea.

Hey Shirley

Flora - Decent take of the remembrance poppies.
Are they planning to replicate last year's Tower of London volume/display of poppies?
I would love to see the sky less blown (or was it just flat grey?)

Hey Shirley

Flora - Decent take of the remembrance poppies.
Are they planning to replicate last year's Tower of London volume/display of poppies?
I would love to see the sky less blown (or was it just flat grey?)
I didn't blow the sky it was natural, greyish blue.

Week 45 ~ Pose I thought you'd all like to see Santa doing a pose in his sledge. There was only him and me in the grotto, at the garden centre, he didn't speak and neither did I. He didn't even ask what I wanted for Christmas:(

Pose.jpg

Last edited:
There was only him and me in the grotto

Hope he behaved himself. Blimey, that garden centre is early. Mind you, I saw a shop assistant today sporting a pair of festive antlers ... .and it's only 5th November !!! Santa is in a Pose all right Shirley - lovely bright colours.

He didn't even ask what I wanted for Christmas:(
I suspect that its because you are on his norty list :D

He always was a poser that Santa bloke, well spotted Shirley.

Very topical Shirley - too good to last when the prices dipped to around £1.

Its outrageous with the falling price of oil, very topical and well thought out Shirley :)

Every day has a nasty sky at the mo but I'll check the white balance. Its my little Lumix point, shoot and hope for the best. Thanks for posting LC2.

pose - it's definitely too early for a festive pose, but apart from that good find.
news - I like the odd white balance, it's nicely composed and right on theme. Although I'm sure I paid 118.9 for a litre of unleaded yesterday :(

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, keeps me going,
Very topical Shirley - too good to last when the prices dipped to around £1.

Its outrageous with the falling price of oil, very topical and well thought out Shirley :)

Nicely on theme Shirley.
I'm going to ask if the white balance is correct, is the sign whiter in real life?
Looks like a day with nasty light, not much you can do about that.

Pose made me smile (even this early!) and petrol prices are always in the news for sure, Shirley.

News indeed, and well captured bird on the left.

WB looks a little off.

Cheers.

Spot on for the theme Shirley, I really like it ...excellent idea for the theme and well composed too.

pose - it's definitely too early for a festive pose, but apart from that good find.
news - I like the odd white balance, it's nicely composed and right on theme. Although I'm sure I paid 118.9 for a litre of unleaded yesterday :(

On theme without doubt - currently over that prices above round here too.......

Thanks Mark, I think the cheapest places are Morrisons and Tesco, I don't like those places much its all too busy, my car is diesel and for some reason the pump keeps stopping when I fill my car, it takes ages to get even £10 worth.

my car is diesel and for some reason the pump keeps stopping when I fill my car, it takes ages to get even £10 worth.
Do you have the nozzle right down in the in pipe? if you do it will activate the splash back cut off.
just put the nozzle in a couple of inches and so how that goes :)

Apologies, I haven't been keeping up with commenting very diligently.

Pose - was the Santa moving? it looks a little soft around his right hand but a nice take on the theme and very seasonal.

News - good idea for the theme and good job not blowing the lit up numbers against the background (and you snook in a bird (y))

Week 47 ~ Young
Beef cows and calves, taken a long way off with the 400mm prime. The calves are there, three in the middle of the photo, a grey one looks rather younger than the others. I brightened up the animals and grass but the sky is a washout.
Cows and calves.jpg

Sometimes there really is nothing to be done with the sky, except add a new one, but that's a lot of faffing about.
I see the young calves nicely on theme Shirley :)

Agree with what @Cobra says, some days the sky is just sooo meh :/
Good job on getting out and getting the shot.

A couple of things to possibly look at. The head of the cow camera right, maybe clone it out?
And what is the completely oof blur camera bottom left? A content aware fill, or crop could remove it.

Blimey a 400mm prime - I could do with one of them. Nice steady shot Shirley and spot on theme. Lovely rural scenic.

Thanks Chris, Carl and LC2
A small crop.
Cows and calves.jpg Actually I don't like it cropped, now there is too much sky.

Hmmm, it's on theme, but even in the edit a lot of chopped cows. Sky, well you have to work with what you have.

Could you have got closer??

Cheers.

Could you have got closer??
Leave the poor girl alone she only has 400mm :D

I'd have done something like this TBH, its just a quick dirty edit, but you get the idea.
If you don't like it say so and its history ...

Cows-and-calves-edited.jpg

Last edited:
Down the valley cross a river up the other side and I don't like cows, the mothers are huge. The bull well its bigger than an elephant and much more dangerous.:bat:

There is nothing worse than a chopped cow.:D

Last edited:
Back